U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 PM

163 posts, read 501,868 times

Advertisements

Ditto

Cooke City, MT, Not only are surrounded by mountains you're surrounded by Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 AM

163 posts, read 501,868 times
Also take a look in the Bitterroot Valley. You have a choice between Darby, Hamilton, Corvallis, Stevensville or Florence.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:22 AM

26 posts, read 43,956 times
the problem with cooke city is that there is absolutely nothing there. i have been there during my stay at yellowstone. its a cool little town, but i can't imagine that i would find a job very easily. so far i think i am leaning towards red lodge and columbia falls.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM

38 posts, read 108,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Ronan Montana, the Mission Mountains are like the Tetons and there is still a small glacier directly above the town. There are grizzlies in those mountains too. Good luck finding a job.
The Missions are beautiful, in fact the drive from Ravalli to St. Ignatius is one of my personal "most beautiful drives in Montana." However, they are not like the Tetons.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,554,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royhinkley View Post
why does everybody keep saying that? Good luck finding a job???? jobs are not impossible to come by.
Because in the flathead valley at the moment,its very true.
unless you want to work for next to nothing.its very sad

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,898,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_viking View Post
The Missions are beautiful, in fact the drive from Ravalli to St. Ignatius is one of my personal "most beautiful drives in Montana." However, they are not like the Tetons.
What I meant by Teton like is that there are lots of steep sharp jagged peaks above the treeline and have a similar look. They look a lot more like the Tetons than say the much older Salish Range or the Whitefish Range.
Of coarse there are no Mountains just like the Tetons but the Mission Range comes about as close to that look as viewed from the Mission Valley as any other range in Montana with ridges and peaks of that nature. They are relatively new mountains with ice sharpened peaks that haven't been there long enough to have been eroded into forest covered bumps like the much older Salish Mountains.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,598,383 times
Hmm. I like plains. Big flat or broken views. Mountains are okay in the distance but not looming over my shoulder. Hey, if we wadded up all the mountains and shoved them all to one end of Montana, I could have my flat, and our new inquirer could have his lumps, and we'd both be happy!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 40,016 times
Cooke City is a very clickish town. As for jobs in Cooke City the Soda Butte is always for looking help.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,294 posts, read 3,338,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
What I meant by Teton like is that there are lots of steep sharp jagged peaks above the treeline and have a similar look. They look a lot more like the Tetons than say the much older Salish Range or the Whitefish Range.
Of coarse there are no Mountains just like the Tetons but the Mission Range comes about as close to that look as viewed from the Mission Valley as any other range in Montana with ridges and peaks of that nature. They are relatively new mountains with ice sharpened peaks that haven't been there long enough to have been eroded into forest covered bumps like the much older Salish Mountains.
Hey royhinkley........

rickers' quote very accurately describes the Missions. I believe you initially said you want to find a town SURROUNDED by rugged mountains--like Telluride, And you'll need a job (with decent pay as a chef)......IMHO you'll not find that situation in Montana. You may come close (mountains) up at Red Lodge, but if you did get a job as a chef up there, it would be very seasonal (maybe) June July Aug and Sept) and at a very low wage (5 to 10 $ per hour). And where do you draw the line between a "chef" and a "cook". I would guess a "cook" at one of the few places to eat in Red Lodge would get around "minimum wage" at best......if you could find an opening.

Don't take offense......just trying to be factual......after 30+ years in western MontanYou might want to check ou the area up around Stanley, Idaho.

Re the Bitterrot Valley....the mountains (Bitterroots) on the west side are fairly rugged (but not a rugged as the Missions), and the Mountains on the east side (the Sapphires) are very old, rounded and have 10 times as many "open park like" area as the west side.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:11 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,598,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonRM View Post
Cooke City, MT, Not only are surrounded by mountains you're surrounded by Wyoming.
Funniest thing I read all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or