U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM

35 posts, read 93,709 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 teenage sons, and I are planning a move to Billings on or before Nov 1st 2010. I decided on Billings after reading 7 pages of one thread disputing which city was better in Montana. I thank everyone who posted on that thread, it really helped me with my decision. As for me, I am 37 I have worked as an office manager/Human Resources manager for the last 5 years. I am also a veteran of the US Army, and I am a volunteer umpire for our local Little League. We live in Delaware and for the last 4 years we have contemplated moving, my wife and I really would like to be somewhere with good people who I could acually call friends and not people who just come around when they need something. Also, Delaware is just a bland, flat, and overrun with drugs state, nothing to do here. Going to the beach was nice but now it to has started to become a gang and drug hangout.

I know everyone will tell me about the winters and even though Im sure alot of people have said "Its no problem", I can honestly tell you that I love it !! I used to hate it until I spent my basic training in Ft. Lenordwood, MO from Dec thru April. Now It doesn't seem to bother me.As a matter of fact another question I would have would be about snow mobile laws, trails, and dealerships ? Any advice would be very much appreciated, Thank you all !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,292 posts, read 3,325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1972 View Post
My wife, 2 teenage sons, and I are planning a move to Billings on or before Nov 1st 2010. I decided on Billings after reading 7 pages of one thread disputing which city was better in Montana. I thank everyone who posted on that thread, it really helped me with my decision. As for me, I am 37 I have worked as an office manager/Human Resources manager for the last 5 years. I am also a veteran of the US Army, and I am a volunteer umpire for our local Little League. We live in Delaware and for the last 4 years we have contemplated moving, my wife and I really would like to be somewhere with good people who I could acually call friends and not people who just come around when they need something. Also, Delaware is just a bland, flat, and overrun with drugs state, nothing to do here. Going to the beach was nice but now it to has started to become a gang and drug hangout.

I know everyone will tell me about the winters and even though Im sure alot of people have said "Its no problem", I can honestly tell you that I love it !! I used to hate it until I spent my basic training in Ft. Lenordwood, MO from Dec thru April. Now It doesn't seem to bother me.As a matter of fact another question I would have would be about snow mobile laws, trails, and dealerships ? Any advice would be very much appreciated, Thank you all !
[i]Just a few comments (opinions) related to the above:

If you have made your decision re Billings, based solely on comments and opinions from a 'thread' on the net....../I think (IMHO) you are taken a chance....... I would suggest that you and the family visit Billings to get a first-hand feel for the city and the area. I also would visit in the winter......I don't think (again IMHO) that the winters in Ft Leonardwood, MO., can be compared to the winters in the Billings area. Again these are just my opinons. I've driven on I-44 many times from St Louis to Springfield (right by Ft Leonardwood) in the winter (in storms), and I've driven on I_90 in the Billings area many times through many storms---I've lived in MT for over 30 years-- IMHO there is no comparsion to the typical (avg) winters in these respective areas.

The above assumes that you have not been to Montana and/or the Billings area......If you have, then disregard the above.

The odds are that YOU will very much approve of the different life style you can choose to lead in the Billings area. Your wonderful wife may, and I say may, experience what some call "a type of culture shock". Maybe not.....I wish you luck.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM

7 posts, read 45,269 times
Good luck with your move to Billings. Billings is a very nice town and the largest in the state of Montana. But, I agree with Montana Griz ..... have you visited Billings yet? Before deciding to move there?

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,886,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1972 View Post

Good luck One thing I can add is that coming from the east coast you maybe surprised at the distance everything is from one to another. Kids can play a game 400 miles away. Hope to hear from you.
You will get good advice here, keep talking.
And thank you for your service to the country!

Last edited by Mt-7; 11-17-2009 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Just noticed that this was the op's thread and I advised to start one.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Yeah, Billings is the kind of place you need to see before you decide to move there.

Well, actually, that could probably be said about anywhere.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 AM

102 posts, read 239,024 times
Default My 2 cents

I spend a great deal of time in Billings and have several generations of family living there. Billings is a nice town, you can find almost anything you could possibly want there. My grandkid's life in Billings is not different than if they lived in Toledo, Nashville, Madison, etc. meaning they do not appreciate or utilize the history and culture of the place instead being plugged into computers, TV's, school events, malls, like kids anywhere in America. (The above was code for young people in Billings are a lot different than many of the regular posters here who are old school, remember when Montana was....). America is mostly homogenized now and there is all the good and bad you mentioned about Delaware to be found here plus you won't have to ponder Joe Biden's hairline daily.

Regarding the weather. Billings is a place of extremes, hot in summer (100 plus), cold in winter (-20, -30, gulp) but these days people mostly live indoors. When I was young most everyone worked outdoors, walked to school, did not have indoor parking, and a bunch of things I may have forgotten that made life in the cold unpleasant.

It is unlikely you will regret your decision if you have a successful job, school, and church transition. I think moving anywhere requires a lot of planning and thought about these items.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 AM

I would like to thank everyone so far who has offered me advice and opinions, believe me all is appreciated. I know I haven't been to Montana yet and yes, that is a serious handicap on my part. The reason I have no fear towards relocation anywhere is the fact my Dad used to get transferred everywhere when I was a kid. Before the age of 13 I had lived in : Maryland, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, New York, Florida, Alabama, and Conneticut. He used to go into those places blind and only armed with a job. My father had no fear, and that sort of passed right onto me considering I have lived in : Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, Illinois, Wisconison, and Delaware. Im not saying it's going to be easy but what I am saying is that any place is better than Delaware and I am not scared. I also didnt mean to make a comparison to the winter in Montana and Missouri, I know that the driving will be tretcherous, I may skid off the road, I may get into an accident, I may not, who knows ? I do know that if any of those happens it wont scare me into a point of urinating in my pants everytime I see a snow flake hit the windshield. Like I said before, I am looking for a place to live where my kids have a chance for a great life, and I have a chance to make some good friends and finally be at peace. "Life is what you make it", Im trying !

Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM

540 posts, read 1,704,659 times
Well said Drew1972. I'm the same age as you wanting what you seek also. For my sake and my family's.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Well said Drew1972. I'm the same age as you wanting what you seek also. For my sake and my family's.
Do you ever wonder why it's so hard for guys our age to make good friends ? I used to think it was me but i realized something, is it wrong to not want to hang out with anybody that is addicted to cocaine ? That's a big problem in Delaware ( at least the Southern part of the state ). I mean, Im no saint, I drink and smoke ( tobacco ) but as far as drugs, no, none, no desire. I don't know, maybe my expectations are too high.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

What I would like to know is, the good companies to work for in Billings ? I just thought I'd ask before I flood Billings with my resume'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana