Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 68,037 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are moving to Great Falls in less than 2 weeks! We weren't given a whole lot of notice, lol!

I have a couple of quick questions if anyone would care to help me out?

1) I'm a private nanny (also have experience in the hotel industry) -- how's the job market? I don't see anything on Craigslist....are there really that few jobs, or do you all mostly just post job listings in the newspaper?

2) Are there any good apartment complexes in the Great Falls area? None of the national search engines come up with anything.

Thank you so much in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,993,031 times
The Great Falls Tribune is online and there are a few ads for apartments in the classifieds.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
AirForceSFwife, you may wan to give Greater Falls a look-see.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,390 times
I really can't offer much advice but had to day Hi and that we are heading that way in a couple of months.
I thought that us only having a couple months was bad, but less than 2 weeks is nuts.
But we are trying to sell a house, so thats could be tricky. Good luck and hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,390 times
Oh and check out indeed.com for jobs, thats where hubby got his lead!! Just put in great falls in the area and it will bring up quite a few jobs, and another area to be more specific on exactly what you are looking for.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,505,644 times
Good Morning AirForceSFwife

First, Thank you to your husband and you for your service to this wonderful country.

Now, I don't know about nannys, but there are a lot of opportunities in the day care industry around Great Falls. I haven't been there in a couple years so things might have changed under the current economic situation, but it used to be there was a day care on every corner it seemed.

As to housing, I don't know of any complexes, but you will find duplexes and triplexes that rent.
If you have trouble finding something right away, there is some excellent temporary housing on base I have used when I was in the Military.

You can also check out some of the surrounding areas as Cascade, Ulm, Black Eagle may have something you like at a cheaper price than downtown Great Falls and are within easy driving distance of around 30 miles or 1/2 hour.

Adapt and overcome! It may be a stressful time to move on such short notice, (I was sent to Guam one time with only a 36 hour notice), but Malmstrom is a great base, (My Brother-in-law was stationed there with the Missile Wing), and Great Falls has a lot of fun stuff to offer.

The local paper is the Great Falls Tribune, greatfallstribune.com | Great Falls Tribune | Great Falls news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Great Falls, Montana and it has a good classified section for housing and jobs, or you can look at the Montana Job Service site at https://jobs.mt.gov/jobs/login.seek for employment opportunities.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 11-20-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: spell check

Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,213,222 times
I can't give any up to date advice on Great Falls but your situation is so similar to that of another "young Air Force couple" that I just had to comment.

They are my parents. Dad was career Air Force. They were young. Dad from Brooklyn and mother from east Texas. They had me and were transferred to Great Falls. My father liked it and my mother did not. We're talking late 1940s. Things were different. The war was barely over. All I remember is that the sky was so beautiful. It snowed on July 4th. Mother was told at a small airport that "you can't get there from here." LOL

Great Falls is beautiful. Actually, the entire state is beautiful.

You will have a good time. Folks in Montana are nice and the Air Force takes care of its own.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:38 AM

271 posts, read 458,331 times
Hi! Sorry I don't know much about Great Falls, but my son-in-law is stationed at Nellis AFB in Vegas and they have base housing. Is that an option for you guys? Before they got their base housing, they had an apartment, which the AF gave them housing allowance for. I hope you can get similar arrangements, but I'm not sure if the AF helped them find an apartment, or if they had to find one themselves. Best of luck on your move and thank you for your service to our country!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 68,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
AirForceSFwife, you may wan to give Greater Falls a look-see.
That's an awesome resource!!! Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
I really can't offer much advice but had to day Hi and that we are heading that way in a couple of months.
I thought that us only having a couple months was bad, but less than 2 weeks is nuts.
But we are trying to sell a house, so thats could be tricky. Good luck and hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Thank you -- and thank you for the Website! Luckily we didn't buy a house down here --thank goodness! I'd be losing my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
...Now, I don't know about nannys, but there are a lot of opportunities in the day care industry...

Adapt and overcome! It may be a stressful time to move on such short notice, (I was sent to Guam one time with only a 36 hour notice), but Malmstrom is a great base, (My Brother-in-law was stationed there with the Missile Wing), and Great Falls has a lot of fun stuff to offer...
Thank you so much!! I'm glad to know there's a lot of opportunity in the day care industry! That's a relief!! Thank you for your words of advice as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can't give any up to date advice on Great Falls but your situation is so similar to that of another "young Air Force couple" that I just had to comment.

They are my parents. Dad was career Air Force. They were young. Dad from Brooklyn and mother from east Texas. They had me and were transferred to Great Falls. My father liked it and my mother did not. We're talking late 1940s. Things were different. The war was barely over. All I remember is that the sky was so beautiful. It snowed on July 4th. Mother was told at a small airport that "you can't get there from here." LOL

Great Falls is beautiful. Actually, the entire state is beautiful.

You will have a good time. Folks in Montana are nice and the Air Force takes care of its own.
Thank you for this! It definitely seems like Montanans (?? lol!) are very nice and helpful! Thank you all!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,081,210 times
Occasionally there are really cheap fixer-uppers or smaller old houses available in Great Falls. A while back I saw one listed for about $35,000, and not a bad place for the money -- old but comfy house with a big yard, in a pleasant neighbourhood near downtown. (A lady who grew flowers by the bushelful lived there when I was a kid; I used to talk to her sometimes. So I remembered the house.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana