Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM

40 posts, read 90,930 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd update everyone on how things are going in Helena.

(Looked down the threads and realized someone with an almost identical handle as myself posted over a year before I did. Didn't mean to copy lol)

Anyway, things are stable so far. I've found some temp work which, needless to say, I'm quite thankful for. People are quite friendly, in fact, I think the worst thing to happen, was someone shouting "get a horse" as I was walking home with groceries one afternoon .

I've made a few friends so far, and have been accepted for who I am, though I do get the occasional "You're from CA? You gotta leave!" ribbing from people, said with a smile .

I've had a few family members visit me up here and they've been pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. My dad is looking to retire up here in a few years. He's from Idaho, so he fits right in.

Though I don't make as much as I did in CA, I find my money goes much further and I'm not taxed up the nose.

Hope everyone else is doing well, I know I am .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Glad you like Helena they have a very nice civic center building there. Temp agencies have saved my butt more than a few times. (I would rather make a little money than no money at all !) Welcome to Montana.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Glad you like Helena they have a very nice civic center building there. Temp agencies have saved my butt more than a few times. (I would rather make a little money than no money at all !) Welcome to Montana.
The Civic Center building reminds me of a Mosque. It is very nice and easy to spot. Half the time my family visited, we drove around looking at all the buildings.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,040 times
Hi MT-Bound. My family and I are kinda in the process of heading to MT also, the Great Falls area though!! I am glad to hear things are going well. We are fortunate that there is a company supper interested in hiring my DH, so not only are we gonna get to live in Montana DH will finally have the job he has been looking for for years. I would love to hear more posts, of how you new adventure is going!!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
Hi MT-Bound. My family and I are kinda in the process of heading to MT also, the Great Falls area though!! I am glad to hear things are going well. We are fortunate that there is a company supper interested in hiring my DH, so not only are we gonna get to live in Montana DH will finally have the job he has been looking for for years. I would love to hear more posts, of how you new adventure is going!!
It's great that you could have income waiting for you. After securing an apartment, the biggest challenge was finding work. Temp jobs are my bread and butter, and they helped again. I am still looking for permanent work though. I'm looking at going back to college once I have 1 year residency and possibly a grant.

My adventures have been mostly limited to going out in the middle of the night and walking around the city. The sky in MT is huge and the people are friendly. The weather is cold as well, the coldest I've ever experienced in fact, but I love cold weather so it's another plus in my book. I've met quite a few people and will probably socialize more as I get situated here. My priorities start with a job though, after that I want to meet more people and hopefully, eventually, find a wife .

I CAN say that I don't ever want to move back to where I'm from (San Francisco), and if anything, will try to stay close to Helena.

Have you visited MT before? Would like to hear about your impressions if/when you did/do.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Get a horse, only in Montana!
Good luck, glad you are getting it.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Bound View Post
The weather is cold as well, the coldest I've ever experienced in fact, but I love cold weather so it's another plus in my book.
We haven't had any REAL cold weather yet this year. Whooo hoooo wait until January !
Sometimes those temp jobs can turn into regular employment with the client company. After the contract period is over the company will be free to hire you on as one of their workers.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,040 times
We have never been to Montana, but have visited Colorado a couple of times. I have always dreamed about Montana though, I know we are gonna love it though, its not as populated as Colorado, and we like it thier, but Montana is a whole different world!
Where I live it gets cold to, cold isn't my favorite, but I love, love the snow!!!! We had days last winter in Ohio that were -17 to -20+ degrees, so those are the days u stay in and sit by the fire!
We are gonna be coming out Dec. 27 to the 30th. Super excited!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

136 posts, read 329,495 times
Default Our trips to Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Bound View Post

Have you visited MT before? Would like to hear about your impressions if/when you did/do.

Hubby and I are planning to visit MT for the 3rd time in April, 2010. We really love it. First time we flew into Bozeman and drove down to Idaho Falls, ID, over to Jackson Creek, WY, then Cody and back up to Bozeman for a few days. Visited Yellowstone from all three entrences, just incredible. Loved Bozeman and the scenery is magnificent. The Museum of the Rockies is worth the admission. Drove alot and loved how different it is from Florida. Second trip flew into Spokane, WA, drove to Missoula, Helena and Somers, MT. Visiting Glacier was the highlight of our trip.

We thought about moving to Montana when he retired but can't sell house in FL. Oh Well, we'll just visit again. Our favorite thing is going to National & State Parks. We are not skiers so we walk alot and enjoyed walking downtown Helena then took a trolley tour just to get the city history, saw deer in peoples yards. Went to the capitol bldg and had a self-guided walking tour without being frisked or going through metal detectors. So very free and open. Loved Helena! Missoula was more active, college town and enjoyed a fall farmers market, hubby walked up to the M. I didn't expect such BIG produce. Corn was 2x bigger than FL corn, everything seemed bigger. Very impressed. Went for a drive south and east and had to stop for a cattle drive. It was great to see. Somers is at the top of Flathead lake and the view is outstanding. Loved driving around the lake and would be right at home on the east side of the lake. Just beautiful. Glacier was the best part of our trip. We rode in the red, rolled-topped cars on the last weekend they were running. The tourguide was wonderful and knew her stuff. What a state. We avoid chain stores and restaurants. Love microbreweries. I quilt so I enjoyed quilt shop hopping everywhere we went. I bought a pattern in Helena for a wall quilt of a mt scene. I am looking at it next to me now. I may never take it down. We collect a little pottery and have some nice memories with these too.

This time we are driving to Salt Lake area, up to Bozeman area for a week, then on the Black Hills, South Dakota (never been to Mt Rushmore) and then home. We usually stay in B&B's and the ones in MT are as good if not better than any we have stayed in. Bozeman's Fox Hollow Inn, Missoula's Blue Mt B&B, Helena's Barrister B&B and Somer's Outlook Inn are great. We spend as much on the B&B's with gourmet breakfast as hotels usually. More comfortable and informative recommendations because they are natives. Over all we don't spend much per day but we get lots of eye candy with the beauty of Montana. What a state! We have pictures hanging in our home that we took on these vacations and are reminded that there are still places of incredible beauty left.

KLBFL50

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

271 posts, read 460,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBFL50 View Post
I didn't expect such BIG produce. Corn was 2x bigger than FL corn, everything seemed bigger.
Yea- we noticed that too when we lived in Kalispell. First grocery we shopped at was the Super1 and the produce was just beautiful. Waaayyy nicer than any we see down in the south. We wondered who their supplier is??? Sounds like you guys have a great time when you come to MT. It is an awesome state isn't it! Enjoy your next trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana