U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
Reputation: 2952

Advertisements

Or maybe has had a minor (undiagnosed) stroke? That has about the same effect. So can diabetes that's not perfectly controlled. I have no idea what his health is like, just throwing out some alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Billings, MT
9,524 posts, read 7,793,423 times
Reputation: 13259
Some people who say they know Max quite well say that this is just the way he talks when he doesn't have a script in front of him.
I wouldn't know, I have never been around him, never voted for him.
I guess it sounds reasonable, though.
But if he is THAT inarticulate, how did he EVER get elected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
Reputation: 2952
I think we put too much emphasis on how well politicians present themselves as it is. I'd rather have someone who stumbled all over his own tongue but thought and acted in our best interests, than someone who is a glib speaker but does his own damn thing the moment we're not riding herd on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,877,890 times
Reputation: 3535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
But if he is THAT inarticulate, how did he EVER get elected?
I guess the same reason Obama won the election -------




All the schizophrenics got to vote TWICE !!!!!! ----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
Reputation: 2952
That'd be a lot more funny, except when I read part of Holy-O's book, it became clear to me that he's a narcissist-type schizo himself. I've known enough of 'em that now I can spot 'em miles away (and run away screaming). Most such cases are sufficiently socially functional that all most folks notice is that they are annoyingly anal-retentive, or can't manage without a script, or react emotionally like a 12 year old when embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Woods Bay, Montana
216 posts, read 579,331 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
That'd be a lot more funny, except when I read part of Holy-O's book, it became clear to me that he's a narcissist-type schizo himself. I've known enough of 'em that now I can spot 'em miles away (and run away screaming). Most such cases are sufficiently socially functional that all most folks notice is that they are annoyingly anal-retentive, or can't manage without a script, or react emotionally like a 12 year old when embarrassed.
Hmm he seems to have all of those symptoms... He's definitely a very prideful and egotistical man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
 
120 posts, read 328,174 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Some people who say they know Max quite well say that this is just the way he talks when he doesn't have a script in front of him.
I wouldn't know, I have never been around him, never voted for him.
I guess it sounds reasonable, though.
But if he is THAT inarticulate, how did he EVER get elected?
Most people talk like that without a script in front of them. Obama talks like that without a script in front of him. Of course, Obama doesn't go anywhere without a script....

What's frustrating is that people put so much importance on how well one speaks in public. The public seems perfectly willing to completely ignore everything a politician has done in the past and believe the lies that spew out of them today. And then the public and media act surprised when the politician continues to do what s/he's always done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Woods Bay, Montana
216 posts, read 579,331 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
What's frustrating is that people put so much importance on how well one speaks in public. The public seems perfectly willing to completely ignore everything a politician has done in the past and believe the lies that spew out of them today. And then the public and media act surprised when the politician continues to do what s/he's always done.
Those who speak well in public are good *leaders*. A leader IS someone who speaks to a crowd and can sway them. Poor speakers are poor leaders, it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
Reputation: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Those who speak well in public are good *leaders*. A leader IS someone who speaks to a crowd and can sway them. Poor speakers are poor leaders, it's a fact.
That definition is exactly the problem. Good speakers can sway the crowd -- whether what they're saying makes sense or not, and whether they actually have any of the right skills for holding public office. I've seen some con artists who were excellent public speakers... but do you really want them as leaders??

I prefer this definition:

He was a leader because he did not look back to see who was following him.
-- from the novel Mr.Roberts
(which unlike the TV series, is most definitely NOT a comedy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
 
120 posts, read 328,174 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Those who speak well in public are good *leaders*. A leader IS someone who speaks to a crowd and can sway them. Poor speakers are poor leaders, it's a fact.
Ooooo, I completely disagree with this.

Being a good leader involves WAY more than being able to speak well in public. And being able to speak well in public in no way implies that you have ANY of the other requirements of a good leader. You might be able to con your way into the job by saying what people want to hear (which was really my point), but what do you do when you get to sit in the big chair?

Sure, a good enough speaker can play his pipe and sway all the little lemmings off a cliff. But that doesn't make that person a good leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top