U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 6,086,199 times
You may find a few laws that may seem a bit strange. You can Google these up;
Montana stream access law and Montana trespass law.
No Trader Joe's in Kallispell but there maybe an expensive health food store or two. Missoula has The Good Food Store that's about as close to a Trader Joe's that you'll find in Northwest Montana.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM

216 posts, read 411,533 times
Thanks Rickers! How about a good place to live? Like is there a good side or bad side of town? Any school I should avoid in particular? The postmaster(mistress?) out there told my hubby (he's a mailman) that there aren't any ghettos in Kalispell but still...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM

30 posts, read 89,452 times
Hi..

In 2000 my family relocated to Kalispell from NC when my son was 7. Trader Joe's?? LOL.... No... No Trader Joe's but yes, there are some stores that do specialize in natural and organic food. Your best grocery friend will be Costco. There, you will find the best fruits, vegetables and meats. Because of the slight isolation.... 2 hours from an interstate.... the collective buying power and distribution system of Costco's seem to provide a better and fresher variety.

If you want any more info... don't hesitate to contact me directly at wolfpackwoman@yahoo.com I'll be happy to guide you to the best move you will ever make!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 AM

120 posts, read 225,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Anyway... Can any current residents who visit these forums give us some helpful advice like where is a decent place to live with good schools (we are planning on renting at first). We have 3 children and are down-to-earth people who love the outdoors. Kids are 14, 4 and almost 3.
I would suggest visiting first, renting a car, and driving through the different neighborhoods. The place really isn't that big and you can easily get a sense of the entire town and most outlying towns in a day. As people have different opinions, on what constitutes a "decent" neighborhood, that's probably your best bet.

I don't have any kids and so don't know or keep track of the school situation other than to say that a "snow day" in Montana probably doesn't exist. Maybe if it were a blizzard outside.

Quote:
I looked to see if there was a Trader Joe's in the area and there is not, but is there another store that sells organic, natural food?
There's The Apple Barrel, which I like. It's mostly fresh fruits though, not a Trader Joes type place. A lot of people like Hutterite chicken, eggs, and veggies, which are organicky and can be found at various stores around the valley. A Google search on "organic food kalispell montana" turns up a few other places, but I've not been to them.

Quote:
Also are there any strange laws we need to be aware of that differ from Ohio's?
Montana is a "shall issue" state as far as carrying concealed weapons. What that means is that the local authorities "shall/must" issue a permit to an applicant unless there is a legal reason not to do so. So I suppose you might see people carrying guns, but I have yet to. Which is weird in some ways and not in others. Back when I lived in a place where I thought I needed a permit, it was impossible to get one. When I moved to a place where I could get a permit, I no longer felt as if I needed one.

Hunting's pretty big here too, so you'll probably notice that.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rickers! How about a good place to live? Like is there a good side or bad side of town? Any school I should avoid in particular? The postmaster(mistress?) out there told my hubby (he's a mailman) that there aren't any ghettos in Kalispell but still...
About the closest thing to a ghetto you will find in Montana are maybe a few trailer parks like in Missoula and a few other towns. There aren't any segregated ethnic neighborhoods with drug dealers on every corner if that's what you mean by Ghetto. I lived in and near Kalispell for a year or so and I never noticed any good side or bad side of town. It's all just Kalispell (and Evergreen) but the corridor between Kalispell and Whitefish is being developed so heavily that it's starting to look like one big town along the highway. The whole valley is filling up fast and property prices are getting out of control. This economic slump has only slowed the development down some. I moved to a town that is still shrinking in population just east of the Rocky mountains because the prices are still affordable.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it. I'm glad to know that I can find organic food, that is important to me. I'm afraid of all the chemicals on our stuff nowadays and what it's doing to our bodies. I'm not a hippy or anything though Just a normal Mom who wants to protect her kids.

We can't afford to fly out there and scout it out first, all our money is going toward the move. I'm sure we'll be alright, we are going to rent first so the place we live right away isn't permanent. It's a shame about the market, I noticed the home sales have dumped big time out there so maybe prices will normalize and people (like us) will buy.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 AM

317 posts, read 571,157 times
Oh, there are some bad parts of the greater Kalispell area with serious drug problems, we just don't talk about it much. DM me for names of specific streets.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM

I lived on 8th NW near a Salvation Army facility and we had a few homeless looking guys wandering through our yard at times and Evergreen has a few places where you may find a few tweekers or whatever but there is nothing in or near Kalispell or Montana that even comes close to what is known as ghetto or bad neighborhoods that you may find in big mid-western or eastern cities.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 AM

What's a tweeker? Never heard that word before hehe.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM

317 posts, read 571,157 times
Quote:
What's a tweeker? Never heard that word before hehe.
A tweeker is someone who cooks or uses meth. It's settled down now, but meth was a huge, huge problem for the Flathead for a few years. Meth busts right and left, sometimes multiple busts a day. Very unfortunate and it shook up the community a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana