U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:32 AM
 
152 posts, read 290,133 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

There is enough to move for a recall on dear old Max, but I have questions.

First, let me say that if a petition was started he would be recalled. He has likely alienated most of his republican base with his health care bill as he likely has most seniors. The youngsters will hate him too when the find out how much this universal mandate will cost them. The liberals also dislike him because he is a corporatist shill. That leaves party hacks and those to whom he has doled out cash.

Question 1: Once he is recalled who will Schweitzer appoint to finish out his term, and who would you like to see appointed?

Question 2: If he isn't recalled will he retire and not seek another term in 2014?

Question 3: How does this effect Schweitzer?


My thoughts are that recall would open the position up for Schweitzer to run in 2014. If there was no recall and Max doesn't retire then Schweitzer will be blocked from obtaining federal office, because I doubt he would run against Max Attack in a primary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,540 posts, read 12,579,627 times
Reputation: 2952
Good questions regardless of which side you're on, or what you think of a recall or of Baucus in general.

If he were to drop dead tomorrow, rather than be recalled, we'd still be in the same situation -- we'd need a new Senator ASAP. WHO are the likely candidates, and WHO are the best candidates? (Take note that the two sets "likely" and "best" are not necessarily contiguous and may not even overlap.)

Word around is that Schweitzer is being groomed as the next Democratic Presidential candidate. If we gotta have a Dem in the White House, we certainly could (and did) do worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,879,314 times
Reputation: 3535
You don't have to worry about Max, --- you can see in this picture he is being administered a knock out injection in his neck, he will soon be out cold and will wake up in a cold dark room where he will stay for the rest of his life.
Well I can dream can't I ? If you think he will be recalled then you are dreaming too !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:13 PM
 
152 posts, read 290,133 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If he were to drop dead tomorrow, rather than be recalled, we'd still be in the same situation -- we'd need a new Senator ASAP. WHO are the likely candidates, and WHO are the best candidates? (Take note that the two sets "likely" and "best" are not necessarily contiguous and may not even overlap.)

Word around is that Schweitzer is being groomed as the next Democratic Presidential candidate. If we gotta have a Dem in the White House, we certainly could (and did) do worse.
The Schweitzer you know in Montana will be Barbara Boxer on a national level. The democratic party is owned by four groups: Trial Lawyers, unions, abortionists, and Goldman Sachs.

The unions can be sacrificed like the peacenicks and minorities, but never the other three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
 
152 posts, read 290,133 times
Reputation: 108
You really think he would survive recall? I think at most it would be 40 percent of the vote to keep him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Montana
1,219 posts, read 2,811,890 times
Reputation: 672
I think that there is a larger picture in all of this.

Yes Max B. has not represented the interests of most Montanans. From My prospective, being partly raised here in MT, moving around a bit as a child, traveling abroad in the US Army, working in various urban areas of the US to the most impoverished places in the third world, and returning to MT to raise a family, here is my opinion about most Montana politicians:

Sometimes there are those that seek to gain from good hometown people. We have some good ones, but also those that have sought in recent days to exploit the good nature of wholesome, small town people. The mistake that they have made is to assume that small towners are ignorant rednecks because we are used to taking care of each other, rather then demanding that the government take care of us.

That said, some of the politicians we have seen come and go, (Mark Rasciot is a good example) try to take advantage of the good nature of a state that has less of a population than others. (Thus less votes to win to get a seat) So sometimes we get people trying to make their way through winning votes of people that might be more trusting, and that watch way less TV, and have more things to do to make a living than voters in larger areas. Here in MT the politicians don't spend the advertising bucks that they do in metropolitan areas, but instead try to convey a simple message. How they underestimate the people that live here.. tsk tsk

It's kind of like a rock band that is struggling to get a record label that changes their lyrics to get on board with the christian music circuit, and then once they make some money they abandon the ideals that they professed in pursuit of a record contract that pays better.

I'm not trying to say that ALL Montana politicians are like this, but I can say from the perspective of a guy that works close to some county and city politicians, that there does seem to be a seeming open door into the big time that is pursued by many aspiring presidents in this state.

Sometimes they see the light and try to stand by what they know is right,
Other times some try to appease the ones they are trying to impress.

Many times the latter has them end up the laughing stock, or as cannon fodder for others within a political party trying to pursue an agenda.

Similar to the old CIA slogan.. "We're looking for a few good decoys.".

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 12-15-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,879,314 times
Reputation: 3535
Default Naw naw naw naw naw says Mad Max !

Mad Max is seen in this picture after saying;
"No I will not resign and a recall petition will go nowhere."
"I am a bigshot and all you little voters can now go phawk yourselves"

After saying all that he continued;
"and furthermore all you retirees better start getting a taste for Alpo cuz your not getting any cost of living raises but us bigwigs are"
He then thumbed his nose at the crowd and all the reporters and said;
"naw naw naw naw naw"

http://lornakismet.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/baucus.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
 
152 posts, read 290,133 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Mad Max is seen in this picture after saying;
"No I will not resign and a recall petition will go nowhere."
"I am a bigshot and all you little voters can now go phawk yourselves"

After saying all that he continued;
"and furthermore all you retirees better start getting a taste for Alpo cuz your not getting any cost of living raises but us bigwigs are"
He then thumbed his nose at the crowd and all the reporters and said;
"naw naw naw naw naw"
Health care! You don't need no stinking health care!

By the way, you really get the best pictures

What was his movie? Ah yes, it was "Beyond the Babbledome."

I have many advertising skits running through my mind for dear old Max Attack. My favorite so far is of him just babbling away as he stops to take a little old ladies walker and gives money to the druggie for his rehab while giving the camera a big thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 PM
 
152 posts, read 290,133 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I think that there is a larger picture in all of this.

Yes Max B. has not represented the interests of most Montanans. From My prospective, being partly raised here in MT, moving around a bit as a child, traveling abroad in the US Army, working in various urban areas of the US to the most impoverished places in the third world, and returning to MT to raise a family, here is my opinion about most Montana politicians:

Sometimes there are those that seek to gain from good hometown people. We have some good ones, but also those that have sought in recent days to exploit the good nature of wholesome, small town people. The mistake that they have made is to assume that small towners are ignorant rednecks because we are used to taking care of each other, rather then demanding that the government take care of us.

That said, some of the politicians we have seen come and go, (Mark Rasciot is a good example) try to take advantage of the good nature of a state that has less of a population than others. (Thus less votes to win to get a seat) So sometimes we get people trying to make their way through winning votes of people that might be more trusting, and that watch way less TV, and have more things to do to make a living than voters in larger areas. Here in MT the politicians don't spend the advertising bucks that they do in metropolitan areas, but instead try to convey a simple message. How they underestimate the people that live here.. tsk tsk

It's kind of like a rock band that is struggling to get a record label that changes their lyrics to get on board with the christian music circuit, and then once they make some money they abandon the ideals that they professed in pursuit of a record contract that pays better.

I'm not trying to say that ALL Montana politicians are like this, but I can say from the perspective of a guy that works close to some county and city politicians, that there does seem to be a seeming open door into the big time that is pursued by many aspiring presidents in this state.

Sometimes they see the light and try to stand by what they know is right,
Other times some try to appease the ones they are trying to impress.

Many times the latter has them end up the laughing stock, or as cannon fodder for others within a political party trying to pursue an agenda.

Similar to the old CIA slogan.. "We're looking for a few good decoys.".
Are you saying it is mostly a sincerity problem? Or perhaps a lack of appreciation for Montana as it is instead of what they wished it was?

A line from a Peter Gabriel's song "Snapshots" comes to mind:

I want to be somebody. You were like that too. If you don't get even you learn to take.

I do notice how many don't come back to their state after flirting with the big leagues.

My one trip to D.C. happened to fall on the same weekend the Monica Lewinsky story broke. It was a strange place to me; so surreal and surprisingly small like how I felt when I saw Mt. Rushmore for the first time. It wasn't overrated in the same way San Francisco is overrated; it was more just weird. I thought it a travesty that they took that beautiful swamp and built an idol to government worship in its place. I thought the monuments were nice, but all those office buildings stretching on block after block reminiscent of monoliths of a dead race crushed under the weight of government burden. Who knows maybe that is the truth of Stonehenge?. I truly found Berkley Pit more impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Montana
1,219 posts, read 2,811,890 times
Reputation: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's cathedral View Post
Are you saying it is mostly a sincerity problem? Or perhaps a lack of appreciation for Montana as it is instead of what they wished it was?

A line from a Peter Gabriel's song "Snapshots" comes to mind:

I want to be somebody. You were like that too. If you don't get even you learn to take.

I do notice how many don't come back to their state after flirting with the big leagues.

My one trip to D.C. happened to fall on the same weekend the Monica Lewinsky story broke. It was a strange place to me; so surreal and surprisingly small like how I felt when I saw Mt. Rushmore for the first time. It wasn't overrated in the same way San Francisco is overrated; it was more just weird. I thought it a travesty that they took that beautiful swamp and built an idol to government worship in its place. I thought the monuments were nice, but all those office buildings stretching on block after block reminiscent of monoliths of a dead race crushed under the weight of government burden. Who knows maybe that is the truth of Stonehenge?. I truly found Berkley Pit more impressive.
I hear ya!

I do think there is a lack of sincerity with Max B and others like him, I think Conrad Burns was the same way. They take advantage of a seat here, because they don't have to work as hard to get them, and get to sit in DC with the fat cats. Look at Burns, he lost his seat and doesn't even live here anymore.

I once worked for a company in Bozeman that had Burns come in for a press conference, asked him a sincere question and was "laid off" two weeks later because the owner (ironically a rich entrepreneur from, you guessed it, Bay area CA) was trying to buy something from Burns and I (never one to be a respecter of titles) offended the wrong people and didn't see at the time what was going on. (long story) I didn't even ask it in from of the cameras, just one on one afterwords.. Interesting thing is that layoff led me to a better place working with better people! I guess I should thank them.

Another example:
Rasciot was a prosecutor and could not even recognize when he made a mistake. An example is a Ft. Benton man (I can't remember his name .. Randy something I think) that was proven innocent of a crime by overwhelming evidence (including DNA)post conviction, and Rasciot would not even apologize, because it would tarnish his own reputation in his pursuit of a federal position . (To me I'd actually have more respect for a guy that could admit a mistake and try to make good on it...) The sad part is this guy has sat in prison since he was in high school and is in his 40's now I think..

I guess I am saying that these guys use Montana to get to DC, and then forget all about us when they get there. They sell out the local people to out of state or out of country companies and pad their own pockets.

Wow as I'm rambling I just got this idea... we could remake the old Max Headroom show into a new one, Max Headspace! With our own Max B as the star!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:19 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top