U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 39,297 times

Advertisements

Thats a big 10-4 on the way Alabama is turning out. My family is moving to MT in the spring from Alabama---time for a change. But do you sometimes get the impression that people like to try and discourage you or do you think that they think we are too backwoods in Alabama to realize that it is a definite culture shock and climate change to move that far. One thing that Westerners may not understand is Alabama folks are real stubborn and tough but good down to the core. As far as the rebel flag goes...the way I have always looked at that one is the same way I see it here in Alabama. You have the right to your beliefs and the decorating of your own property as your heart desires, you know free speech and such. There is always going to be someone that you offend no matter what you say or do. To each his own. You can be our neighbor and fly your flag proudly, isnt that part of living in the USA no matter what state your in? And you know the real answer about a country boy surviving. Cause country boys can survive. Hey maybe we need to find out just where Hank Williams Jr. lives and move in next to him to fly that rebel flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:51 PM

529 posts, read 1,728,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTer View Post
Stay in the south. With your strong southern attitude, you won't find Montanans too accepting.
I totally agree..... very well put......

And I might add.......

We here in Montana just love people.... We do what we can to be hospitable, kind and encouraging...... We like to help, and we help often..... if not for any other reason but just to be a good friend.

BUT.... there isn't any room here for..."Agenda"

We live the good life here, and for good reason.
Move here, live here, play here, and raise your kids here......
But leave your agenda's in the town's and state's from whence you came.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcraig View Post
Well, I welcome all you Sothern boys. Ol' Robert E would have loved to ride the mountains here on old Travler. Hank Williams Jr. lives 30 miles south of me. And yes a country boy can survive. It is the guy use to making the big dollars that IMHO has a hard time. Lots of work, for those willing to work, which is not many these days. (here in western Montana)

Craig

Please don't forget that our dear hank jr has been 86ed out of every bar in the bitterroot valley.

As an added comment, I'd like to say that I was there the night he got kicked out of the Brass Rail in Hamilton.
We didn't really care at all that he had wads of money, or that he was presumably famous..... We just didn't like the attitude that's all....... er... rather... the agenda.
We aren't real impressed with braggarts here...... we live simple so that others can simply live.
Huey Lewis doesn't live far from Stevensville either (we did the concrete on his house)..... he brought his fame and fortune to Montana and hasn't had a bit of trouble..... probably because he didn't come up here thinking he had something to prove.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 12-03-2006 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 20,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinwest View Post
Thats a big 10-4 on the way Alabama is turning out. My family is moving to MT in the spring from Alabama---time for a change. But do you sometimes get the impression that people like to try and discourage you or do you think that they think we are too backwoods in Alabama to realize that it is a definite culture shock and climate change to move that far. One thing that Westerners may not understand is Alabama folks are real stubborn and tough but good down to the core. As far as the rebel flag goes...the way I have always looked at that one is the same way I see it here in Alabama. You have the right to your beliefs and the decorating of your own property as your heart desires, you know free speech and such. There is always going to be someone that you offend no matter what you say or do. To each his own. You can be our neighbor and fly your flag proudly, isnt that part of living in the USA no matter what state your in? And you know the real answer about a country boy surviving. Cause country boys can survive. Hey maybe we need to find out just where Hank Williams Jr. lives and move in next to him to fly that rebel flag.

I have to add to your comment "they think we are too backwoods in Alabama that it is a definite culture shock and climate change to move that far." I am not from Alabama, but I am from the south...I live in Virginia. I have been planning to move to western Montana for a long time, but only recently have had the ability to actually save up for the move. It'll still be a few years before my family and I make it there, but we're a comin'!
Anyway, I just wanted to add that whether or not we are prepared for the culture shock and climate change, when you want something bad enough, you accept and make due. I am a very warm blooded person...I get cold very easily. My husband teases me all the time about how "you'll never survive in Montana!" I'll tell ya'll the same thing I tell him...WATCH ME. I am willing to freeze as solid as a block of ice if it means I can live there. Besides, that's what they make longjohns and earmuffs for !
I'm sure there are lots of southerners who don't make it past the first year or two out there, and run back home with their tail between their legs. To them I say this: I guess you just didn't want it bad enough. You didn't want it bad enough to call it home.

http://www.myspace.com/botlnzdolphin

You can check me out and see that I'm just a sweet person looking for a safe place to raise my kids...no hidden agendas here!

Old 12-09-2006, 02:12 AM

131 posts, read 139,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman1 View Post
Amen to that!!!! This life is too short for hatred and bigotry.
Bama boy as we grew up hearing the legends of the great in Montana but it has definately change.I heard those stories myself and they are beautiful to tell the kids today.When they were told to us people thought you would never visit so those sweet stories brought peace of mind.But as you see the truth bleeding thru those sweet stories we heard as a child were just lyes.I used to have to work that circuit as a professional wrestler and it was a night mare from weather to all the rest.I wouldn't trade 1 foot of dixie in a hurricane for that whole state in best Sept weather.If you ever go there all you would want to do is see it and then you would be ready to leave.sad so sad

Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,067,331 times
Default What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Majic View Post
Bama boy as we grew up hearing the legends of the great in Montana but it has definately change.I heard those stories myself and they are beautiful to tell the kids today.When they were told to us people thought you would never visit so those sweet stories brought peace of mind.But as you see the truth bleeding thru those sweet stories we heard as a child were just lyes.I used to have to work that circuit as a professional wrestler and it was a night mare from weather to all the rest.I wouldn't trade 1 foot of dixie in a hurricane for that whole state in best Sept weather.If you ever go there all you would want to do is see it and then you would be ready to leave.sad so sad
I guess I missed something but I can't figure out what you're trying to say in this post.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,874 times
Exclamation stay outta here!!!!

I have lived in montana my entire life. I have gone to college here and got a degree in mechanical ingineering. My brother and I use to be able to hunt birds in a field below our house. We would hunt all day. My family was able to get an elk of any size in under two days. That field where we hunted is now filled with houses and roads. This past hunting season we saw more wolves than we did elk. I wouldn't mind people moving into houses that already exist. But its people, mainly californians, who come in here thinking they are going to tame the west. They want to change it so they feel right at home. People love the beauty of our land and want to have a piece of it. Wel take a vacaion and come visit. Don't come in here trying to change my Home! I am fed up with it!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botlnzdolphin View Post
I have to add to your comment "they think we are too backwoods in Alabama that it is a definite culture shock and climate change to move that far." I am not from Alabama, but I am from the south...I live in Virginia. I have been planning to move to western Montana for a long time, but only recently have had the ability to actually save up for the move. It'll still be a few years before my family and I make it there, but we're a comin'!
Anyway, I just wanted to add that whether or not we are prepared for the culture shock and climate change, when you want something bad enough, you accept and make due. I am a very warm blooded person...I get cold very easily. My husband teases me all the time about how "you'll never survive in Montana!" I'll tell ya'll the same thing I tell him...WATCH ME. I am willing to freeze as solid as a block of ice if it means I can live there. Besides, that's what they make longjohns and earmuffs for !
I'm sure there are lots of southerners who don't make it past the first year or two out there, and run back home with their tail between their legs. To them I say this: I guess you just didn't want it bad enough. You didn't want it bad enough to call it home.

http://www.myspace.com/botlnzdolphin

You can check me out and see that I'm just a sweet person looking for a safe place to raise my kids...no hidden agendas here!

Speaking of a culture shock.....

My Mother was born and raised in Tewksbury Massachusetts.... a true eastern blue blood if you will, finishing school and the works......
How her and my Father ever got on was an absolute mystery to me.... Here we have a wild eyed Montana boy, and someone like my Mother getting together for life.....
Both her and my Dad made a good life here in Montana... She said it was so much better than Massachusetts and the cold winters there..... She traded the Rockchester type of society for the wonderful wiles of Dillon.... go figure.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM

737 posts, read 2,839,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana boy View Post
I have lived in montana my entire life. I have gone to college here and got a degree in mechanical ingineering. My brother and I use to be able to hunt birds in a field below our house. We would hunt all day. My family was able to get an elk of any size in under two days. That field where we hunted is now filled with houses and roads. This past hunting season we saw more wolves than we did elk. I wouldn't mind people moving into houses that already exist. But its people, mainly californians, who come in here thinking they are going to tame the west. They want to change it so they feel right at home. People love the beauty of our land and want to have a piece of it. Wel take a vacaion and come visit. Don't come in here trying to change my Home! I am fed up with it!!!

Not all us Kaleeforkneeeans are bad and believe it or not, I was thinking along the same lines as you, about buying an existing house/land, not a new development. I plan to stay rural. I am not a hunter, but I am also not a tree hugger either. I am just more of an offroad jeep/motorcylce, kinda guy.
Actually, reading almost every post here, it isn't just Ca. folks moving there. It seems pretty diverse from all over.
Have a nice day

Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,358,044 times
I'm kind of skidish about a guy that claims he's an engineer but he can't spell it.

However, it was probably just a slip of the fingers. Bamma, bring it on. Rural? Yup, you can live down town Billings and still think it's rural.

But, I want to add. When you look at an area around here, you'll appreciate the beauty and the attitude.

Do not, bring a new attitude into the area. This area is what it is because of the people that are there.

I say this in a good way. Let me explaine. A couple moved in here a few years ago from LA Cal. They simply loved it. Then once they had the house, they said, let's form a group to make sure everybody paints their houses so they are pleasing to the eye. The group can then make sure that all fences meet these standards. Also we can make sure they don't have any out buildings that would distract from the true beauty.

You know what? the true beauty was the rear license plates of that couple leaving the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or