Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,403 times

Advertisements

I'm a southern redneck who don't like how Alabama is turning out to be.
I was thinking about moving to Montana but just wondering if Montana
had good laid back country folks who is down to earth.I don't think i can a place home if it don't accept the rebel flag,country music, guns,and the good lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 PM

564 posts, read 2,340,989 times
Uh, bud, why would they accept the confederate flag if they border Canada?

I'm from S. Mississippi and even I don't even consider that. You're probably better off staying where you are if you can't handle a culture change.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:34 PM

152 posts, read 627,792 times
Default why not?

This No. Calif girl plans to move there. I'm leaving the SF Bay area...too politically correct, too much anti-gun ownership (gun lox and no ammo? give me a break); Too hot and too much traffic. SW Montana is gorgeous...lakes, creeks, ranches, and a whole ton of friendly people. I just don't plan on acting like I'm from Calif.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 PM

And I didn't want my comment to sound jerky or anything, you just don't need to bring any unrealisitic expectations into such a big change. It could throw you for a loop.

And fbcobrn, you're in the same boat as me, in terms of going from a warm-climate to a cold place. You ready for the winter? haha

Have you visited? Met some of the locals, etc etc? I plan on, before I get my masters, visiting the area. I've already been through Wyoming and I loved it, so it's on the "possible places to live" list.

I'm going to be a teacher so I have some options. As long as it's cheap, haha.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM

152 posts, read 627,792 times
Unhappy expectations..........

Yes I do believe I have realistic expectations.
We come up at least twice a year, my husband's best friend retired to Hamilton before we bought property. We have many friends within the area now...I was offered an application to M.Daly Hospital already, wages are a little better than I expected, so have time to budget before I get there
I love the small town feel, It's like mine was growing up in the hills of Lafayette, California before the freeway system went in. You could roam and play in the fields for hours before dad rang the "bell" or whistled to get us home. I'm not relocating as much as going home.
I DON'T DO HOTTTTTTTTTTTT. I've been there in July, November, March, etc.
My only fear is "FIRE".
FB.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 41,856 times
Cool Same differance

Not that much dif between a country boy and a mountain boy. Except the snow. And cold.
You have a lot of choices here in country types. There's the Badlands in Southeast Montana and the Glaciers in the North. Southwest and Midwest are nice forests and mostly midsized mountains and/or valleys. It all gets the snow. Funny thing is, it can be -13 F and nice as a spring day. Or the wind can be blowing and you can't breathe outside without feeling like a hot knife is ripping your throat out. The snow can split a dog's feet to bleeding in about 10 minutes. I actually have to oil my dog's paws.
Some really fine people here. Very few will stand by and watch anyone mistreat the land or the wildlife, it's about the only thing they have in common I can see...well, that and Californians.
People don't really conform in Montana. So, few care if you do.
But the pay is lousy. A regular joe has to give up some things to live here, like bigger paychecks. It's kinda like pay per view. But it's a very fine view.
Also getting a job is hard. You just about have to drop a name to get a job here or already have one before you leave home. Employers are used to out of state people coming here and hightailing it after their first winter.
You mentioned survival. Your first winter is the true test. Everyone you know will be watching to see if you run home in the spring. They'll tell you it ain't nuthin at -18 F. It's all an act, lol.
It takes 2 winters to really adjust to it if you come from the heat. Good Luck.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 AM

78 posts, read 743,873 times
Angry Stay in the south

Stay in the south. With your strong southern attitude, you won't find Montanans too accepting.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn
Yes I do believe I have realistic expectations.
We come up at least twice a year, my husband's best friend retired to Hamilton before we bought property. We have many friends within the area now...I was offered an application to M.Daly Hospital already, wages are a little better than I expected, so have time to budget before I get there
I love the small town feel, It's like mine was growing up in the hills of Lafayette, California before the freeway system went in. You could roam and play in the fields for hours before dad rang the "bell" or whistled to get us home. I'm not relocating as much as going home.
I DON'T DO HOTTTTTTTTTTTT. I've been there in July, November, March, etc.
My only fear is "FIRE".
FB.
Actually when I was talking about "realistic expectations", I meant the guy that started the thread.

Now after that, it was directed to you, haha.

And I'm sick of hot weather, myself, especially during the winter. In the South it's just humid and mild during the winter, and I hate it.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 41,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy
... just wondering if Montana
had good laid back country folks who is down to earth.I don't think i can a place home if it don't accept the rebel flag,country music, guns,and the good lord.
Lots of good folks here, country music, guns and the good lord are welcome here. You will however need to leave the rebel flag in alabama, it is not welcome here. Also you will need to bring lots of money. Cost of living is high and the wages are low.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 5,168 times
If the pay is so low and the cost of living so HIGH how do the local people afforde to stay???

I am Retired Air Force and have lived in New England for a Good many years, When you talk about cold Please come to a wet cold New England Winter. It will chill you to the bone , Snow is wet Heavy and always Frozen to the ground it is so wet. Power lines Fall all the time and some States have 10's of Thousands with out power all the time in the winter.

Also some parts of Montana do not get as much snow or cold as others. If you plan to move there check out the local weather for that part of the state.

I still want to buy some land in the Wolf Creek or Boulder area so if any one know of land for sale give me a post thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana