U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM

9,449 posts, read 17,458,278 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I plan on driving from Arizona to northern Yellowstone next week to do some photography in the Lamar Valley. My plan is to stay in Gardiner, MT, and to drive the road to Cooke Valley every day. That road stays open, I'm told. I'm hoping to see some wildlife. Other than that, I have no plans. I might rent a snowmobile one day if that makes sense, or possibly hook up with a snow coach tour for a day. However, I have no leads on either of those yet. Just gonna play it by ear.

If anybody has any suggestions for me, has any tips on specific locations to find wildlife, has any friends who might want to rent me a snowmobile and/or tell me where to go (be nice), or wants to hook up and show me around, I'm all ears! Any and all opinions, insults, and compliments are welcome.

PS: I cross-posted this to Wyoming, because that's where Yellowstone is, even though I'm staying in Montana. But would love to get your input as well.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 PM

317 posts, read 945,033 times
Well, you can do what you describe but there isn't a whole lot along the road to Cooke City. You will see wildlife and can see the hot springs in Mammoth but there isn't too much else there. I believe you can rent snowmobiles in Cooke City.

Be sure to wave at the cop that is posted at the entrance to the town. He works long hours and enjoys the friendly wave. (I'm not sure if he is still there or not - I was last there in 2002 and saw the cop.)

Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Seeing wildlife is pretty much what it's all about. So that sounds good to me. If I can get to some hot springs, that will be a bonus. I'll check out the snowmobiles in Cooke and be sure to wave at the cop. Thanks, Cedar!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,314 times
The best snow mobiling is out of West Yellowstone, MT. So after visiting the North Entrance out of Gardiner, backtrack N to Livingston - W to Bozeman - and S to West Yellowstone along Hwy US 191. Lots of Buffalo along that route and I suppose a freaking wolf or two.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
The best snow mobiling is out of West Yellowstone, MT. So after visiting the North Entrance out of Gardiner, backtrack N to Livingston - W to Bozeman - and S to West Yellowstone along Hwy US 191. Lots of Buffalo along that route and I suppose a freaking wolf or two.
That sounds great, except for the route going through Bozeman. That's a 4 hour drive! I was assuming I could drive 89 to the West Entrance road and come into West Yellowstone from the east. Crap, that's not on the list of open road either. Ok, sounds like what I really need to do is spend a day or two at West Yellowstone. I was figuring I'd stay in Gardiner for the week, but that's not realistic if I'm gonna hit West Yellowstone. Sound about right? Thanks, Grizz!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,314 times
Kdog,

You are considering two very different pieces of topography. Entering the park at Gardiner will take you just a mile or two S of Mammoth, the Park Headquarters and the road is then blocked. You can drive to Cooke City, MT along the Larmar River valley and I think they have snow coaches from Mammoth or perhaps Roosevelt Camp. You should see lots of elk, buffalo and an occasional wolf.

From West Yellowstone you follow the Madison River into the Park and can go by snow coach or rent a snowmobile and go all the way to Old Faithful. You'll pass several geyser basins. I'd guess that buffalo will be the most common animal to see. BTW they have overnight accomodation now at Old Faithful. But to be sure, firm this up by checking with the National Park Service.

Have a great time.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Sounds worthwhile exploring both places. Thanks again, Grizz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana