U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM

608 posts, read 810,444 times

Advertisements

Montana rules!!! You really do have the freindliest people in the states. When I was laid off from my job (from Miles City), I returned to Texas, and still had my plates from Montanta. Many residents from Montana crossed my path and wished me well as I tried to find work. Even now, as I work from Louisiana for Halliburton, I still am stopped at many gas stations and rest-stops and asked many questions regarding my wellfare, and the wellfare of the people of eastern Montana. I can only say that I can't wait to return to the Bakken Field! Please support intercontinental drilling, and help keep Montana economicaly strong, keep America working, and bring me back home! -PS save some Yellowstone River catfish for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:16 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,765,841 times
Nothing like fresh fish cooked on the side of the river or lake it was caught in, a good campfire, good friends, and a skyfull of stars on a cool summer night.

I found this song on U-Tube, sung by a Canadian Bryan Adams, with pictures from the Canadian TV show, "Due South", but it probably sums up the feelings of many Montanan's for our home.

The snow looks very familier too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR3k...eature=related

Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,898,303 times
Unlike most states that did well on this list Montana also was number one on Gallup's "ten happiest states" and was twelfth at the well-being index. Only Hawaii did similarly well on all three.

The Well-Being of 50 U.S. States | LiveScience
Stress and Happiness: Often, but Not Always, Related

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM

216 posts, read 579,198 times
Actually, most mountainous small towns have folks like that. Small populations and most folks are poor so they all know each other and help each other. My grandparents came from West Virginia in the mountains and it's the same. If they see someone from WV they ask if they know so-and-so or if they remember whatchacallit and all that. My husband's parents are from KY and TN and they do the same.. Especially the wave while driving and passing someone LOL.

It's not specific to Montana hehe.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:08 AM

352 posts, read 1,004,719 times
I enjoy traveling out of state occasionally, but the minute I cross the border back into my home it's always a good feeling. Wouldn't be anywhere else...

Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
Talking Happy Boy !

I am very happy in Montana.
Country Dick Montana was also a "Happy Boy" even though the Beat Farmers were a So Cal band he had a lot of Montana in his heart. My sister knew these guys well and was their biggest fan. He was from my hometown and died of a heart attack while singing on stage at Whistler BC at the age of 40.
He really reminded me of so many folks I know here in Montana and he was a very happy boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40rLaARx00

Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 60,128 times
MTSilvertip, you brought a tear to my eye! I was born in North Dakota, raised in Montana (Billings & Glendive) but have also lived in a couple other states (MN, TX) but none compare to good 'ol Big Sky Country! I'm glad I came back. I too believe we are a happy & PROUD people. Call us old fashioned but Montana IS the Last Best Place.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:55 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,765,841 times
bufordtjustice,
Thank you, I hope to see a lot of your posts on these boards.

Oh, and Welcome Home

Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 AM

40 posts, read 81,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
In the Great Falls Tribune this morning there is a "Question of the Day" about Montanan's Having Reason to be Happy.

Curious, I researched and found an article on Yahoo.
Happiest States Revealed by New Research - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091217/sc_livescience/happieststatesrevealedbynewresearch - broken link)

I guess at number 7 we must be pretty content overall.
[Snip for size]
I've been here for nearly 7 months and this doesn't surprise me one bit. I've never been happier, which is something my family has noticed when talking to me.

Living in California, I wasn't that happy even during the best of times and, talking to my friends that still live there, most aren't too happy either.

I read about this survey, through a google news link, on the New York Time's website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/nyregion/22nyc.html

"Not to be unkind, but some states that made the Top 10 are among the poorest in the country. Are people there truly happy, or are they wearing “What, me worry?” smiles."

Apparently they don't realise that money isn't everything .

Anyway, I'm SO happy to be here! My cleets come today, so I'll be able to walk to the store again (it's been icy in Helena).

Old 12-23-2009, 01:56 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
I'm a "Happy Boy" because I didn't slip and fall on the ice we had. It's still pretty icy and a bunch of folks fell and were sliding all over the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana