U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM

517 posts, read 767,680 times

Advertisements

Sounds like typical goverment bullcrap. It is to bad that the average go to work american person is the one that suffers from the goverment screwups. I can hardly wait to see what they do with health care, just like s.s. and med. care what haven't they screwed up. Sorry to be so neg. about the goverment but dang what have they really done for the average american???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:55 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,526,697 times
"Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."
-- Ronald Reagan

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-- Gerald Ford

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,603,561 times

We could use these guys right now!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

517 posts, read 767,680 times
Amen to that 7 of 9!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM

239 posts, read 417,507 times
Be careful what you wish for. If Montana were to pass a property tax limitation, money will have to come from somewhere else to provide services. Maybe a sales tax. There is a 9.75% sales tax in Los Angeles. Imagine buying a $30,000 car and having to pay an additional $2925 in sales tax on top of registration and fees.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
Be careful what you wish for. If Montana were to pass a property tax limitation, money will have to come from somewhere else to provide services. Maybe a sales tax. There is a 9.75% sales tax in Los Angeles. Imagine buying a $30,000 car and having to pay an additional $2925 in sales tax on top of registration and fees.
Good point for sure... some places the sales tax is over 10%

If I had a choice... I would choose a sales taxes... especially for cars.

I can always make do with a cheaper car or keep fixing the one I have... I still have the 72 Plymouth valiant I drove in school and paid $800 for.

For me the choice is simple... stability for the roof over my families head, possibly my livelihood plus family history of hearth, home and community in exchange for a Sales Tax on things I can decide to buy or not.... every time I will take the security for my families shelter...

Not saying a right or wrong... just there is something fundamentally wrong when people are driven from their own land.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
You're thinking like a gov't official -- "now that we've arranged to spend this newly inflated influx of property tax money, we need to ensure that we always have this much revenue." Baloney! They didn't have this tax windfall before the spike, and they had no business arranging to spend it forever, either.

The real solution is to force government to reduce spending back to the same level as before the real estate spike.

They'll still have more money than ever -- because there will still be all those newly-built and newly-taxable houses. But claiming that they somehow MUST have up to 10 times as much revenue as they had before, just because they managed to spend it all? THAT thinking is why gov't gets into deficit in the first place.

Last edited by Reziac; 01-06-2010 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: more thinkin'

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Problem with sales tax is that it hits those least able to pay the hardest. Someone who can afford to spend several grand can usually afford a few hundred more in sales tax, but people who are just getting by -- that 10% or so is enough to be really painful, ALL the time.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Problem with sales tax is that it hits those least able to pay the hardest. Someone who can afford to spend several grand can usually afford a few hundred more in sales tax, but people who are just getting by -- that 10% or so is enough to be really painful, ALL the time.
But at least they would have a choice... even those here illegal pay sales tax for the most part...

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,261,455 times
A sales tax in Montana, (aside from being pure poision at the polls, the last time it was voted on it was defeated 75% to 25%) is kind of a dead issue.
The People of Montana have protected themselves against it by voting in a Constitutional Amendment that limits any sales tax to a maximum of 4%.

Hardly worth the effort of imposing it on the populace.

Some towns have a "Local Option Tax" which is a sales tax, but you don't have to shop there so it is easily avoided.

As long as you know that West Yellowstone, Whitefish, Gardiner and Red Lodge have the tax, you simply drive to the next town to shop.

Many of our border communities reap real benefits from people in Idaho, Wyoming, and the Dakotas coming over the line to shop because their money goes farther.

A sales tax is supposed to hit the tourists to help the locals pay for services, but the tourists aren't here all year so on top of the property taxes and income taxes, it just becomes punitive to the locals and as such is not well regarded here.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana