U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM

6,238 posts, read 15,416,713 times

Advertisements

Montana's big sky views become bigger tax burdens - latimes.com

I was thinking about moving to Montana, but I doubt I could handle the winter weather.

I believe your state should have a separate assessment for the super rich who move to areas like the Flathead. They can certainly afford to pay higher tax rates than people who have lived there forever in their more modest homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 03:34 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,578,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

I was thinking about moving to Montana, but I doubt I could handle the winter weather.

I believe your state should have a separate assessment for the super rich who move to areas like the Flathead. They can certainly afford to pay higher tax rates than people who have lived there forever in their more modest homes!
Damn, that's a scary article. CA had the same problem -- people were being forced to sell their homes because real estate prices spiked and taxes went up right along with, often to considerably more than the owner's annual income.

You can see why California passed Prop 13, which ties property taxes to value when SOLD, not accrued value just because the market went up. So if you paid $100k for your CA house, the taxes will always be tied to that UNTIL you sell it at a higher price. Then it will be taxed at a percentage of the new price.

A windfall property tax for newly-inflated homes... that's an interesting idea, tho if property tax is directly tied to market price at the time of the most recent sale, NOT to current assessed value, that's pretty much taken care of.

In short, MT needs its own version of Prop 13... without the loophole that lets "special assessments" be tacked onto your taxes ad infinitum.

(My CA property tax is presently more than half "special assessments" most of which either were just tacked on by the county without asking anyone's opinion, or were voted in by a voting demographic that are primarily renters, so have no idea what it is to PAY property tax in the first place. Sometimes I think the Founders who believed only property owners should have the vote... were right.)

As to the notion that Prop 13 caused CA's fiscal woes -- no, absolutely not. CA's crazy spending in every possible direction caused that. If CA lived within its means, 1% of your home's value would be more than sufficient.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM

216 posts, read 579,331 times
Homeowners in Montana need to get together and put up a petition for something similar to prop 13. If I am one soon I will sign it!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Homeowners in Montana need to get together and put up a petition for something similar to prop 13. If I am one soon I will sign it!
Does MT have a voter initiative process? (NOT that voter-initiatives are a good thing; CA has some really insane laws thanks to ignorant mob voting blocs.) However... I do think it's time for the legislation... and it would also tend to put a cap on the spending of taxes:

As tax revenues go up, gov'ts tend to spend apace, then all of a sudden when the taxes aren't there gov't winds up in deficit, then all it can think about is how to suck more money out of taxpayers to bring revenues back to their inflated high point.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,894,357 times
Well now the new "wealthy" can sell out and go down to California with their equity and pick up a new home.
And so it goes on.....

Old 01-03-2010, 07:38 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,811,679 times
I'm aggravated that Montana is in the LA times in the first place... grrrrrrrrr I wish they would stop advertising. The less that MT is put in peoples minds, the less likely they are to try to build a friggin starbucks here.. Why can't they just leave us alone?

No offense to you Californians, but it's frustrating for us long timers.. It's the out of state $$ that has driven up taxes in the first place..

My father in law (a trucker) has a picture he took of a sign on the interstate out there that says... "Move to Montana, it's beautiful and cheap.". I wonder if they would move the same way if they new we were a welfare state?

end of rant... sorry to offend, but not that sorry.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:38 PM

216 posts, read 579,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Does MT have a voter initiative process? (NOT that voter-initiatives are a good thing; CA has some really insane laws thanks to ignorant mob voting blocs.)
Isn't it an American right to be able to petition the government? Not a state thing..

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I'm aggravated that Montana is in the LA times in the first place... grrrrrrrrr I wish they would stop advertising. The less that MT is put in peoples minds, the less likely they are to try to build a friggin starbucks here.. Why can't they just leave us alone?
<snip>
end of rant... sorry to offend, but not that sorry.
But you're right...

As to the article, think of it as negative publicity... scare off a few of the rich folks who are looking for tax shelters. MT clearly ain't it!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:34 PM

120 posts, read 328,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Isn't it an American right to be able to petition the government? Not a state thing..
I think Rez is referring to the process whereby any old citizen can get a proposition on the statewide ballot by hoofing it and getting enough certified signatures of registered voters. Get enough signatures, the proposition goes on the ballot where the whole state can vote on it.

Yes, Montana has that: 2010 Ballot Issues, Montana Secretary of State

Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,109,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Just another case of Government taking...

I'm thankful each and every day those that came before me made Prop 13 law in California...

There is something inherently wrong when your home can be taken like this... It's one thing for taxes to go up... it's another thing to see a 300% or higher increase one bill to the next.

The numbers were smaller, but the effect similar at the time Prop 13 became law...

Thanks for the link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana