U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM

373 posts, read 1,308,968 times
I guess I might have been misconstrued. I am arguing that meth is a problem. I am not making any arguments about what we should do about it other than preventio. I have not made any statements that we needed to subsidize treatment programs. I don't think any of the posters above did either before it started to seem like people were reading into the posts that we were advocating spending tax money on treatment programs. I am advocating spending private and corporate dollars on prevention programs.

By the way, I did meth when I was younger and was an addict for about three years. It was the worst time of my life. Now I am very successful and productive. I didn't use a treatment program. I just moved to get away from the problem and stopped. I have been completely clean for 5 years. But, when I say meth is a problem, I speak from personal experience on the hell of meth addiction. I didn't know really anything about meth when I started. No one had ever talked to us about it...it wasn't talked about to folks my age. As kids in the 80s, we were steered away from coke and pot but all my friends were doing meth and no one had ever talked about the specific dangers of that. When I got to be in my 20s, I didn't know where meth fell on the spectrum of drugs and absolutely made the wrong choice. I made that choice. But, I am not a scumbag. I was young and made a mistake.

However, I feel that I was so out of my mind when I did it that I would have shot someone or robbed someone. Five days without sleep will do that to you. There is absolutely no way I would consider doing that as a sober person. In fact, now I am kind of known as an upstanding citizen in the community where I moved. So, call me what you will, but people who have formerly been meth addicts can go onto live successful lives. But, I had no idea what meth was about when I tried it. I was just some young, dumb person in stuck in a tiny little town who was really bored and didn't have anything going on in my life yet. I am really glad for the Montana Meth program because it has de-glamourized meth for younger folks. I'd rather have people never try it than to make the stupid decisions I did and have to go through putting one's life back together. Yes, you can come out of it and be a great person with a happy life, but why start in the first place?

Last edited by lorelei2873; 05-25-2007 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM

121 posts, read 284,581 times
Default thank you lorelei2873

I just wanted to thank you for your post, the bravery of sharing your story. I am so glad for you that you were able to get clean, stay clean and lead a productive life.

I see so much meth use throughout the state, your post gives me hope that people can get off this drug and stay off it and that someday meth won't be such a problem in Montana.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 AM

121 posts, read 284,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistoman View Post
I dont have any emotions about the topic really. Its more the misrepresentation of the situation. Either way the so called facts that have been provided are unconvincing to me, someone who has dealt with users and dealers in a controlled environment. So anyway its not that I cant brake down data and review statistics its that I already have a good idea of how valid they are coming from the sources shown so yeah not worth the effort.
I agree that statistics can be misleading and that it is important to look at the methodology of coming up with those statistics as part of determining validity. Also, first hand knowledge of a situation can't be beat.

My first hand knowledge is that I have seen an extreme problem with meth in this state.

I have never misrepresented anything in my life and resent the implication from you that I am misrepresenting this situation.

It is interesting that you use only excuses in supporting your remarks; it is quite easy to see through that ruse.

Last edited by jenzebel; 05-25-2007 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM

495 posts, read 32,806 times
someone wrote:
Quote:
Living on the street is no picknic.
Living on the street is a luxury in american now....it's not the same as it was to be homeless years ago.........years ago if you were on the street it was because you were broke destitute and there were no jobs to be had and you got in a soup line if there was even on to be found - as such a person had a LOT of reason to find a better way to live there life, my pereception is that the homeless people of those days were good people who feel on hard times.....NOW today it's a whole different story, first off all you get the entire society making excuses for you behavior, and giving you places to stay, free food, most people living on the streets now do it because - well - because they can, evidently they are getting feed somewhere or they'd be dead, once again our society in typical liberal guilt gives them whatever they need and perpetuates their exisitence, being on the street is a place where get to do nothing and do liquor and drugs, be on the lamb for the law, these are not the 'hobos' of yesteryear - they are the lowlife of our society left free and feed and cared for to purse their degenerate life style.............
All the being said - I exclude the actual mentally retarded element that really have no control of their lifes, those are the real sad stories. The rest are just degenerates who choose to live like that, and just because you wouldn't want to live like that doesn't mean other people don't. Alot of these street people hate you, and they hate society, they think they are really better than you and me, that they are tougher... I say let them live however they want to live....don't ask me for a penny though, go live your life however you want, just because it disgusts me doesn't mean you don't like it....so I'm no going to judge how they live, it must be a good life as the continue to live it, even with all the welfare, food stamps, social security, and other social help available.....
the one I like is when they hold the sigh - "Disabled Vietnam Vet - need food" well if you're disabled and a 'Nam vet what are you doing with all your benefits ? get on one of the dozen programs they give you, if nothing else you can go to college for FREE....sorry it's silly to beleive that every one in this world is going to be a good person and live a productive life, even if you gave everyone a mansion to live in and a millions dollars, there would still be people broke busted and strung out living on the streets in two weeks after you set them up with a free house and a stack of money. And if you told them that they'd actually have to work for it - they wouldn't even show up to sign the papers.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM

373 posts, read 1,308,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
I just wanted to thank you for your post, the bravery of sharing your story. I am so glad for you that you were able to get clean, stay clean and lead a productive life.

I see so much meth use throughout the state, your post gives me hope that people can get off this drug and stay off it and that someday meth won't be such a problem in Montana.

Thanks for your support. I was really scared to tell my story because it's really not something I'm proud of. Very few people who live in my town where I moved (away from my small town) know about my previous drug problem. I often want to pretend like that wasn't me. But, it was me. I just think if my talking about it here could help one person change their mind and take it more seriously, it might be worth it. I probably won't talk about my personal issues like this again because it's just not something I want to think about.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM

33,440 posts, read 28,092,723 times
JJM- congratulation on taking the lead on being the meanest person I have read in awhile. Somebody that mean, and I mean meaner than me, must really fear something. I suggest you find out what is frightening you and then chill out a bit. Going broke and winding up on the streets is what frightens me the most.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:42 AM

529 posts, read 1,335,470 times
The use of Meth among Montanan's has declined nearly 75% in the past 36 months. Looks to me that HBO should examine their sources on the issue.

Montana is also the leader in cutting Meth use out of all of the 50 states.

Together, both state and the Department of Homeland Security agents are putting illegals to task with regard to these issues as well.

Even so much as just recently, raiding and closing "businesses" that have been promoting drugs and illegal immigration here in our fair state.

Montana's News Station, Fair. Accurate. To the Point. -Immigration officials raid four Montana restaurants (http://montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=6564103 - broken link)

Montana's News Station, Fair. Accurate. To the Point. -Feds allege Mexican restaurants were fronts to sell drugs (http://montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=6569171 - broken link)

The war on Meth use in Montana is being fought primarily with 95% private funds, which is something that cannot be said for other states. HBO never mentions this. Beware of the Liberal Media.

Large media corporations are usually a little more than one sided on issues such as these..... so we should be wary of taking what they say at face value.

Originally the problems revolving around Meth were brought here by the "elitists" moving in from large population centers around the country. You will also find that drug use is very prevalent amongst our "elitist" communities here, from Big Sky, all the way up to Whitefish...

On a side note:

Only 1 in 20 who come here are serious about having a life here..... the other 19 all have some overly fantasized notions about Montana taken straight from the TV set, or, they come with "agenda"... expecting to "turn us around" to their ways of living and thinking....
Missoula is a perfect example of this.

If one were to ever really want to know what "true native Montanan's" think of folks who come here with "agenda", just Google some blogs for Montana and you'll see..... You may discover that JoeJoeMan isn't really so mean afterall.... He's simply stating the facts.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 05-26-2007 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-26-2007, 09:03 AM

529 posts, read 1,335,470 times
I'll even add this to my comment above...

White House Cites Montana Meth Project As Model For The Nation

Old 05-26-2007, 11:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,525,308 times
Bah. The Melaque was my favorite restaurant in Helena

Old 05-26-2007, 01:04 PM

495 posts, read 32,806 times
GregW Wroet:
Quote:
JJM- congratulation on taking the lead on being the meanest person I have read in awhile. Somebody that mean, and I mean meaner than me, must really fear something. I suggest you find out what is frightening you and then chill out a bit. Going broke and winding up on the streets is what frightens me the most.
Hi Greg:
First off thanks for the "congradulations".....but I owe you a 'congradulations too. I love your reasoning, did you study physicology and deductive reasoning in college or is that just something you picked up on your own while eating crackers one day.... Or did you go to to mountain and return with "If thou ist' mean thou ist' frightened"....written in stone..... Let me ask you a question how do people come up with such absurd notions....Actually I'm one step ahead of you, using such made up statements like that that have no basis in reality or in notions of human psyche is a simple trick used by people such as yourself to discredit others you disagree with, when they fail to have any other convincing argument- pullout that one......I would sugguest the other readers take note of this technic and learn to dismiss it when and where it is attempted to be played on you.
Now then, you've also built your whole case on an assumption that I am mean....a fact that you'd don't have the slightest clue whether or if it is true of not. The real mean people are the druggies who pray upon the innocent. If they truely were sorry for their past transgressions, they would go back and make whole everyone they ever made a victim of. When was the last time you saw that happen....NEVER....Instead they suck up the sympathy of society by say..."oh it was so terrible, but now I'm clean, I really was a nice person, give me a job, dah dah dah"...........talk is cheap......go give back everything you ever took off of everybody and give back to society, then pay back for all the drug rehab programs we had to pay for to you back on your feet....
I grew up with junkies, they were all around me, my friends and my enimies, you know why they shot dope - BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO BECAUSE IT WAS FUN AND MADE THEM FEEL GOOD, THEY DID IT TO GET THEIR KICKS. This whole notion in today society that people go on drugs because its not their fault they have a tough life they have problems is a bunch of.....well crap. we all got problems.......some people like to play football for fun, some like to read books for fun, and some people like to shoot dope for fun......except the druggies come up with all the excuses....."the devil made me do it".......one thing I will admit drugs make you do, is lie and con people. Yea they wanna shot dope and have fun and it's all a good time, until it all starts to catch up to them, then they want everyone to feel sorry for them and help them get clean. Oh course they never say they want anyone to feel sorry for them, but they'll certainly take all the hand outs they can get. Let 'em pay for their own rehab, they had the money for the dope, let'em get the money for their rehab....
Sorry GregW I ain't mean.........you just have a naive view of the world, and whenever anyone such as myself points out a couple ugly spots in it that upsets your mental apple cart - well you lash out with "they are mean".
I guess I owe you an insult back for insulting me by calling me mean, but I ain't gonna give it to you.......only 'mean' people (ie. you) hurl insults like that.

PS sorry for some of my grammer, but you get the point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana