U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,568,947 times
Hey Fod, have you lived in Southern Alberta? There are two different sects, one does and the other does not pay tax. Oh, one of my buddies in high school was downtown Lethbridge, just came out of the bar. Approached by some Hutterites and asked if he wanted to make $50.00. Said sure, was told he would be invited to the colony, and fed a nice meal if he would have sex with a girl covered in a blanket. He could not see her, just a hole on the blanket. Inbreeding is a problem so this is how they expand the gene pool. Think I'm kidding? RP
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM

120 posts, read 234,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
If these Hutterites are allowed TV and are stealing, I don't want anything to do with them.
Wow. Just wow. This is EXACTLY why I came down so hard on proveick. If they are "allowed" TV you don't want anything to do with them? What the heck does THAT mean? How about you let them live their lives as they see fit?

And stealing? Growing up, my family had pretty much nothing to do with any religion. However, we were surrounded by Catholics. Neighbors, friends, inter-marriages, etc. The stories I could tell you about those Catholics. However, you know what? I didn't even think of it that way. It would be the last thing on my mind to condemn the entire religion for what I saw a bunch of that religions members do. (BTW, they weren't doing any of this stuff in the NAME OF that religion.) Do you understand???

Quote:
I think that they are an honorable, kind, people but these Hutterites don't sound it.
The reason hearsay is so dangerous is right here. One goofball puts some unsubstantiated rumors up on a blog, that gets repeated by others, then repeated by others, then it's up on more blogs, then the original blogger now points to the new posts on other sites to lend credibility to his original rumor, then more and more cross-posts, and suddenly this is "common knowledge" because it's posted in so many places. When it all started from a single post.

How about, instead, you form your own opinions based on your own personal experiences instead of relying on rumors from the Internet?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Hey Fod, have you lived in Southern Alberta? There are two different sects, one does and the other does not pay tax. Oh, one of my buddies in high school was downtown Lethbridge, just came out of the bar. Approached by some Hutterites and asked if he wanted to make $50.00. Said sure, was told he would be invited to the colony, and fed a nice meal if he would have sex with a girl covered in a blanket. He could not see her, just a hole on the blanket. Inbreeding is a problem so this is how they expand the gene pool. Think I'm kidding? RP
I've provided documentation saying that your claims that the Hutterites pay no taxes is false. You have provided nothing but hearsay. If you have any REAL proof, put up or shut up.

And I've heard the story about the blanket before. In fact, I've heard it several places. In fact, I've heard it in these forums as well - as a joke. So no, I don't believe it. And I don't believe your "buddy". What I do believe is that your buddy told you a story to get a laugh and that you, stupidly, believed him.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:09 PM

216 posts, read 425,678 times
Fodderman, next time actually READ the thing you are responding to. I said "IF" see that word? IF is a lot different than "FOR SURE".

Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Fodderman, next time actually READ the thing you are responding to. I said "IF" see that word? IF is a lot different than "FOR SURE".
Okay, let's say they are FOR SURE "allowed" to watch TV. What does that have to do with anything? Who cares? If you were just concerned with the stealing, why mention TV at all? And, judging from the comment in your next post, "I think that they are an honorable, kind, people but these Hutterites don't sound it." makes it sound as if you've already made up your mind without ever having met a single one of them. I apologize if I got it wrong, but I still don't think I did. Words have weight. Choose them carefully.

Now, I need to take a break from this before I get a demerit from the powers that be.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
And I've heard the story about the blanket before. In fact, I've heard it several places. In fact, I've heard it in these forums as well - as a joke. So no, I don't believe it.
Ummm you can believe anything you want but I just had my Hutterite friends stop by our shop today and I asked Him (away from his wife) about the so called rumor. Many rumors when unwound have a seed of truth at the core. Yes some Hutterites did that sheet with a hole in it thing, the husband as well as an elder or two supervised so no "enjoyment" went on. I really doubt if many modern Hutterites really do that anymore but it did occur at some colonies at one time or another somewhere. If a Hutterite elder (my friend) will admit to me that this was practiced by some Hutterites a long time ago, I believe him.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:47 PM

216 posts, read 425,678 times
I am not one to judge, unless I see it myself. I will, however, be wary with these Hutterites.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 PM

6,427 posts, read 7,298,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

Surely someone reading this can come up with an appropriate, humorous comment...................how 'bout it Rez............
Nuh-uh, wasn't me tried to ride a TV outta town... the rest of what came to mind wasn't fit for a mixed audience

(I don't like sex on the telly. I keep falling off.)

Old 01-21-2010, 09:36 PM

6,427 posts, read 7,298,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
I'm curious as to how Hutterite theft compares to the general population in the same area. I suspect that if it's higher, it's because the individual doesn't earn a wage, has no bank account, and has no means to buy anything for themselves.
That's an interesting question. Tho income level and shoplifting have not generally correlated well elsewhere -- ask any merchant in Beverly Hills.

But I wonder how well it might correlate with the age and level of commitment to the colony -- do their kids have Rumspringa like the Amish do? Kids go through a stupid stage in every society.

Maybe there's something in here, a very long article which I haven't read yet: Life in a Hutterite Colony: An Outsider's Experience and Reflections on a Forgotten People in Our Midst | American Journal of Economics and Sociology, The | Find Articles at BNET

However, every reference I find cites an extremely low crime rate, both inside and outside the colony.

It does occur to me that there may be a problem with distinguishing ownership -- if you own everything in common, there's no boundary between "mine" and "yours". I encountered that problem with first-generation immigrants from backbeyond Mexican villages -- they could not understand why people got upset when they took stuff; they'd tell you flat out, if you wanted your stuff back you should have just come and got it! they didn't view taking stuff as theft, rather as communal borrowing.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 AM

305 posts, read 565,427 times
Setting the record straight - on the Hutterite blog! Granted, he's an ex-hutterite... but still a good read...

The Hutterite Blog - Setting The Record Straight!: Drunk, Blond, Blue-Eyed College Boys & Hutterites (http://www.hutteriteblog.com/2007/04/drunk-blond-blue-eyed-college-boys.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana