Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,882 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to Great Falls, MT, and since arriving here about a month ago we've frequently run into people dressed like Quakers who seem to speak German, and as a matter of curiosity we're wondering what religious or political or ethnic group they're a part of?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
They are members of the Hutteran Brotherhood, commonly referred to as Hutterites.
They are a religious society somewhat similar to the Amish, or Mennonites. They do speak a form of german.
They live in a communal society, are very religious, and sell a lot of vegetables at the farmers markets. (They make great bread and saurkraut too!)

I have always found them to be very friendly, willing to lend a hand, and good people to talk to.
They are hardworking people that look out for their church and families, and make good neighbors.

There are several colonies scattered around the state, so you will see them pretty regularly.

Go say "Hi" sometime. I enjoy talking to them, you might too.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
I know over here they come around with vegies in the summer for sale.
I also drive over to some and get some great chicken for the freezer. Luster has a great festive with German food that has many involved with it.
They always look so tidy

Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM

126 posts, read 381,605 times
Do they use horse and buggies for transportation?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Depends on the colony. Some will only use natural conveyences. Horse's. Some will purchase a community pickup. Maybe a truck to deliver produce.

Where I live, the Colony is 45 miles from town. So no, horses are not used to come to town. Not sure what they use within the Colony though.

Where I grew up, it was 10 miles to town so the Colony used horse drawn wagons/buggy's to come to town and deliver produce or veggies.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 AM

126 posts, read 381,605 times
Thanks Elk. I was curious, figuring they had some decent distances to travel.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM

120 posts, read 378,378 times
Most of the colonies are not nearly as hung up about technology as are, say, the Amish. They'll use computers, cell phones, trucks...whatever it takes to get the job done and improve the colony - especially when it comes to their farms. No plow around the neck hauled by an ox.

If you see Montana Eggs brand eggs, I believe those are from the Hutterites. They formed a corporation where all (or most all) colonies go through Montana Eggs to sell eggs throughout the state. Some stores will also sell their chickens and, at Thanksgiving, turkeys (which have a lot less fat on them than other turkeys I've tried).

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Hands down make the best roasted chicken!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
We have friends who belong to the New Miami Colony and they have given us several food items as gifts that they don't generally sell to the public. We don't drink alcohol anymore but when we did we had their wine a few times and I swear it was fortified (spiked with clear alcohol) I estimated it to be about 20 to 25 % !!!. They also gave us some dumplings, dinner rolls, a pair of comfy foot slippers for my wife and a bunch of fabric. We regularly buy eggs and chickens from them and I have done a bit of looking stuff up on the web for them as a favor. I think our neighboring colony doesn't have a computer and they only have one phone. They wear black pants and hats in the winter and many will switch to straw cowboy hats in the summer. The photo below shows a Hutterite guy heading to the truck after shopping at Wal-Mart. Our friends have offered us a tour of the colony but It's not clear yet if they will let us take any pictures or not. I kind of doubt it.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Good site that explains most of their way of life:

Hutterites on the web
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana