Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 AM

281 posts, read 869,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I live only about 7 miles from the edge of Billings, yet a trip to the Heights Walmart can be a 15 minute drive, one way. 45 minutes to the grocery store is not at all uncommon. In fact, depending on the weather, a "trip to town" can take all day, or may not even be advisable.
Come for an extended visit, look us over, and make an informed decision. Keep in mind that the weather can vary from 30 below (or colder) to well over 100 above, and from sloppy muddy wet to dry and dusty.
!
Yes! And then there is weather to contend with. If it's snowing, icing... that means putting off shopping, and being prepared. Making sure the pantry is stocked. It's just something to get used to. I'm not but 20 min from Missoula but sometimes it takes my day to go in to town, mainly because the traffic is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,936 times
OP GLS had it right, "If we would have honeymooned on Mars, we probably would have moved there. You need to visit several times and balance out Montana's natural beauty, peacefulness, and serenity of the soul vs winter, unemployment and poor wages, and inaccessibility of services."

The unemployment and poor wages may make this dream not unattainable but will definitely require some work. I worked for a software company in Bozeman and while I made great wages for the area, they were significantly lower than previous positions - now taking into account where those jobs were, it still surprised me to find houses in Bozeman were higher than the place I just moved from.

The recession has lowered house prices in Bozeman, but it may still shock you. You can live in Manhattan or Three Forks, but then the commute may kill you if gas goes up and you drive you an SUV or vehicle that doesn't get great gas mileage. If your husband works remotely, make sure to look at where you want to move to, as some places do not offer DSL or cable Internet - so, it's either dial-up or satellite, both of which are not good for telecommuting for obvious reasons.

Because the weather varies in the winter in Bozeman, be prepared for it if you moved here. I didn't have any problems with it, but it takes some getting used to. Despite all this, while I no longer live in Bozeman (as a result of a relationship ending quite sadly and abruptly), I miss Bozeman every day and think that Montana isn't just Big Sky Country but God's country as well.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
OMG!!! I can't believe all the people here who's answer is "wait for the weather!!" I grew up in Billings, and moved away twice. Once for the Army, and the second because my dumbass father-in-law brainwashed my husband into thinking that it would be better to live down south. Bless him Father for he knows not what he does. The schools in the south are slow, their main emphasis is on reading because half of everyone is imbreded and retarded. Yes I said it. Now go back to your cousin/wife and put some shoes on the girl. It is hard to live 30 miles from any place remotely populated, but you are going to get that no matter where you are in this country. We live 45 minutes from a city half the size of Billings and sure, small town life is great. But not so great when you have to rush to the hospital at 2am because your kid is screaming her ear hurts or she's having a fever seizure. The ambulance service here is so bad that the volunteer squad doesn't answer calls after 10pm and when you really need them, you'd do just as well take yourself and you'd might make it. In Billings, there are 2 major medical hosptials.

The economy even in the downturn is still full of jobs, and the cost of living is amazing. Sure, my house here in the south only cost us $28,000 (I'm not lying-if was a foreclosure and was originally $50,000) appraised at $75,000, but there is no way I would ever get that because of the economy here. I'd be lucky to walk away with $45,000. And it's a 4 bd/2ba house!!!! The same house in Billings is going to run about $150,000. When I was there in 2005, I made $1300 after taxes. I could pay rent ($550 for a 2+br/1 ba) feed my family of 6, pay all the bills to include electric, gas, cable , phone, and cell phone bill, and still have enough for my husband and I to go out to dinner and a movie once a week. All on just MY income. We just used his for savings and birthdays. It worked great for us like that. Now, even with the house paid, he can't find a job, and the one I work at barely pays minimum wage and I have a college degree!!! I work a high level professional job AND STILL QUALIFY FOR FOOD STAMPS!!! All because they don't want to pay. Its heartbreaking to work your ass off just to not get anywhere. That's one reason why we are packing it up and moving back "home" to Montana. Sure, I thought it was cliquish, but not anywhere as cliquish as the South. They don't care where you're from, they want to know who your momma is!!

As for schools, The school system in Montana is wonderful. The class sizes, even in a Metropolis like Billings, is still rather small. The teachers are not afraid to teach and are there to do just that, not babysit ignorant bastards who think that respect is just saying, "Yes ma'am." And by ignorant, I'm talking about the teachers too.

The other thing that is sooooo great about Montana, NO BULL*****!!! People in Montana are more straightforward. They aren't going to talk about you behind your back at church, like they do in the south. The attitude in Montana is more positive as well. No one is afraid to wave to a passing neighbor or stop and look in on the old lady at the end of the block because that's how we're raised. You look after eachother because you never know when you are the one who is going to need looking after. It stems from back in the old buckboard days when the weather would go sour and people would get snowed in. While you might not have so much of that nowadays, we still check in with everyone. The only reason why anyone in the south is going to check in on you is so that they have more dirt for the Sunday gossip.

As for the simple life, Montana is simple. But only as simple as you make it. We still have all the modern conveniences of malls and hot water and indoor plumbing, contrary to popular belief. We don't ride our horses to school anymore, although technically it's still on the books that the school has to provide water and shelter for them while we are. You have the ultimate choice on how simple you want to live. Don't think that it's not for the faint of heart either. Its a bust ass job, but someone's got to do it.

my biggest advice, pick a smaller bedroom town a short drive from Billings or Bozeman. Both offer all the conveniences you want with all the small town charm. I'm partial to Billings, only because I grew up there. Such as Billings (pop. 120k), Laurel(pop. 15k), Park City(pop. 1000), there are other smaller towns that are only a short trip on I-90 to get to.

Whatever you choose, do your homework and have something set up as far a work or a house before you get there. It's harder to find a place to live in when you are also trying to find a job. Just an FYI.

Good Luck and God Bless

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim_mom2001 View Post
OMG!!! I can't believe all the people here who's answer is "wait for the weather!!" I grew up in Billings, and moved away twice. Once for the Army, and the second because my dumbass father-in-law brainwashed my husband into thinking that it would be better to live down south. Bless him Father for he knows not what he does. The schools in the south are slow, their main emphasis is on reading because half of everyone is imbreded and retarded. Yes I said it. Now go back to your cousin/wife and put some shoes on the girl. It is hard to live 30 miles from any place remotely populated, but you are going to get that no matter where you are in this country. We live 45 minutes from a city half the size of Billings and sure, small town life is great. But not so great when you have to rush to the hospital at 2am because your kid is screaming her ear hurts or she's having a fever seizure. The ambulance service here is so bad that the volunteer squad doesn't answer calls after 10pm and when you really need them, you'd do just as well take yourself and you'd might make it. In Billings, there are 2 major medical hosptials.

The economy even in the downturn is still full of jobs, and the cost of living is amazing. Sure, my house here in the south only cost us $28,000 (I'm not lying-if was a foreclosure and was originally $50,000) appraised at $75,000, but there is no way I would ever get that because of the economy here. I'd be lucky to walk away with $45,000. And it's a 4 bd/2ba house!!!! The same house in Billings is going to run about $150,000. When I was there in 2005, I made $1300 after taxes. I could pay rent ($550 for a 2+br/1 ba) feed my family of 6, pay all the bills to include electric, gas, cable , phone, and cell phone bill, and still have enough for my husband and I to go out to dinner and a movie once a week. All on just MY income. We just used his for savings and birthdays. It worked great for us like that. Now, even with the house paid, he can't find a job, and the one I work at barely pays minimum wage and I have a college degree!!! I work a high level professional job AND STILL QUALIFY FOR FOOD STAMPS!!! All because they don't want to pay. Its heartbreaking to work your ass off just to not get anywhere. That's one reason why we are packing it up and moving back "home" to Montana. Sure, I thought it was cliquish, but not anywhere as cliquish as the South. They don't care where you're from, they want to know who your momma is!!

As for schools, The school system in Montana is wonderful. The class sizes, even in a Metropolis like Billings, is still rather small. The teachers are not afraid to teach and are there to do just that, not babysit ignorant bastards who think that respect is just saying, "Yes ma'am." And by ignorant, I'm talking about the teachers too.

..............ONE OTHER FYI: it's 55 degrees right now in Billings vs 51 in Samson, AL (4:55 p.m. 3/4/10)

The other thing that is sooooo great about Montana, NO BULL*****!!! People in Montana are more straightforward. They aren't going to talk about you behind your back at church, like they do in the south. The attitude in Montana is more positive as well. No one is afraid to wave to a passing neighbor or stop and look in on the old lady at the end of the block because that's how we're raised. You look after eachother because you never know when you are the one who is going to need looking after. It stems from back in the old buckboard days when the weather would go sour and people would get snowed in. While you might not have so much of that nowadays, we still check in with everyone. The only reason why anyone in the south is going to check in on you is so that they have more dirt for the Sunday gossip.

As for the simple life, Montana is simple. But only as simple as you make it. We still have all the modern conveniences of malls and hot water and indoor plumbing, contrary to popular belief. We don't ride our horses to school anymore, although technically it's still on the books that the school has to provide water and shelter for them while we are. You have the ultimate choice on how simple you want to live. Don't think that it's not for the faint of heart either. Its a bust ass job, but someone's got to do it.

my biggest advice, pick a smaller bedroom town a short drive from Billings or Bozeman. Both offer all the conveniences you want with all the small town charm. I'm partial to Billings, only because I grew up there. Such as Billings (pop. 120k), Laurel(pop. 15k), Park City(pop. 1000), there are other smaller towns that are only a short trip on I-90 to get to.

Whatever you choose, do your homework and have something set up as far a work or a house before you get there. It's harder to find a place to live in when you are also trying to find a job. Just an FYI.

Good Luck and God Bless

.........another point of info FYI:........... it's 55 degrees in Billings right now vs 51 in Samson, AL (3/4/10) 4:55 pm

Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM

30 posts, read 60,127 times
Helena's winters are not too bad. Its sunny a lot but can get cold. It didn't stay too cold for too long but thats all relative. Most of the snow is gone in the Helena valley right now and unemployment is low in Helena. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana