U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:40 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,789,217 times
I'm so jealous of you all.

Chevy Cavalier club here.

Too bad the speed limits are there now

One of my friend's dad's was talking about getting bluelighted at 140 but the cop never turned around. This was in central Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM

17,640 posts, read 22,104,685 times
I was stopped one time at 105. Trooper said that I was acting neither Reasonable nor Prudent. But all I got was a $5 energy conservation "Waste" ticket. Paid on the spot. A week later I got a letter confirming that the money was deposited at the court house.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,994,896 times
Ahhh the good old days... where you could drive as the conditions permitted, and could even have a beer on the way... Those days are over now, as many folks that lack common sense have settled here and could not handle either of the old "non restrictions".. Sad times indeed.

I wish they would have all stayed where they came from, as from my perspective they have not been a benefit of growth, but an unneeded strain on the good folks that have used common sense all of their lives.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM

6,432 posts, read 7,317,554 times
Hear hear, Timber...

Back in 1964 my mom bought a 1963 Olds F-85 4-door sedan. (Which I wish I had back; it's now one of the rarest of all collector cars, with exactly NONE available that I could find, and even parts and carcasses are scarce as hen's teeth. There were only about 3000 built.) The very first thing she did with it was take it out on the curvey back roads of Minnesota and see how fast it could go... A: about 120 mph.

Yeah, my mom the quiet sensible person, a hot-rodder in disguise!

But here's the common sense part: hot-rodding out where no one else can get hurt -- I don't see the problem. It's not like she went drag-racing in downtown Fargo!

Our previous family car was a 1955 Nash, the big ugly boat of a sedan in flesh-and-white. Drove like a bus. I still have one of its original floormats.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,994,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hear hear, Timber...

Back in 1964 my mom bought a 1963 Olds F-85 4-door sedan. (Which I wish I had back; it's now one of the rarest of all collector cars, with exactly NONE available that I could find, and even parts and carcasses are scarce as hen's teeth. There were only about 3000 built.) The very first thing she did with it was take it out on the curvey back roads of Minnesota and see how fast it could go... A: about 120 mph.

Yeah, my mom the quiet sensible person, a hot-rodder in disguise!

But here's the common sense part: hot-rodding out where no one else can get hurt -- I don't see the problem. It's not like she went drag-racing in downtown Fargo!

Our previous family car was a 1955 Nash, the big ugly boat of a sedan in flesh-and-white. Drove like a bus. I still have one of its original floormats.
Cheers Rez! Sometimes my interpretation of heaven is just like the old days... My dad had a 1982 olds '98 that I used to take all my friends all over the place with.. Later on I bought a 1972 cutlass, in the classic 70's green with and olds 350 for $400 and then added some minor (cough) modifications that we used to tear up the strip with back in the day. I remember trading it in for my first Jeep CJ 5. To this day I am still a jeep aficionado, but keep a place in my mopar motor heart for the olds family. (I guess I'm not prejudiced towards any manufacturers, as we towed our camper with a '72 ford p/u until this last summer)

I'm with you on the common sense part. We raced and played out in the middle of nowhere too, and never had any casualties other than some dents and dings that we prided ourselves on being able to fix before our folks found out.

These days it's all about what "might" happen, and there are all these people moving to bozeman that want to bubble wrap their kids and all the stuff a kid can do these days, and I'm not talking about TP'n a house... a kid can go to juvi for that nowadays, tried with a hate crime, but cripes just for exploring a place that's newly deemed off limits on OUR public land?.. its a tough deal. I want my boys to be able to grow up and find themselves without all the new BS.. People get arrested and go to court for stuff I used to get a warning with and smile from the cops that issued the said warning these days! Why is everyone so afraid of getting sued?

End of late night rant...

P.S. I'd sure like to see that '63 F-85!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM

119 posts, read 217,107 times
Quote:
But all I got was a $5 energy conservation "Waste" ticket
Can you explain a little about what this is, how one might get cited other than speeding?

Was this in Montana or WY?

thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM

214 posts, read 434,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I was stopped one time at 105. Trooper said that I was acting neither Reasonable nor Prudent. But all I got was a $5 energy conservation "Waste" ticket. Paid on the spot. A week later I got a letter confirming that the money was deposited at the court house.
Yeah, in VA you'd probably have ended up in jail.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
Can you explain a little about what this is, how one might get cited other than speeding?

Was this in Montana or WY?

thanks
It was in Montana. For a period of time they gave you a ticket for Energy Conservation. They couldn't write a ticket for speeding so they'd write you a ticket for wasting energy. Ticket was $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
Yeah, in VA you'd probably have ended up in jail.
Wasn't in VA. Was in Montana where they didn't have a posted speed limit.

Today, they do have a posted speed limit. If you exceed it, you pay bail, on the spot (if you have out of state tags). If you don't have bail, you set in jail until you appear in court.

10 mph over, $70 bail. Pay now or set in jail.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM

6,432 posts, read 7,317,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Today, they do have a posted speed limit. If you exceed it, you pay bail, on the spot (if you have out of state tags). If you don't have bail, you set in jail until you appear in court.

10 mph over, $70 bail. Pay now or set in jail.
Someone elsewhere pointed out that this amounts to conviction without a trial, but I guess they get around that by calling it bail, and you could then go contest it if you wanted.

However, it also seems to me that it simplifies the entire system which helps keep the cost down (ie. the price of a ticket). Some places, that same speeding ticket will cost you hundreds, and I've heard of some places that when they're done with you you're out a couple grand.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Someone elsewhere pointed out that this amounts to conviction without a trial, but I guess they get around that by calling it bail, and you could then go contest it if you wanted.

However, it also seems to me that it simplifies the entire system which helps keep the cost down (ie. the price of a ticket). Some places, that same speeding ticket will cost you hundreds, and I've heard of some places that when they're done with you you're out a couple grand.
Actually, I checked into it. For me to take a day off, drive up to Hardin, I would have ended up paying $65. So I just forfitted bail and didn't show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana