Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 29,770 times

Advertisements

Hello,I'm looking for small bit of land in Montana to buy for future use for retirement. Someone mentioned Montana, I'm from the dry SE Washington wheat farm area, but currently living in Portland oregon area I hate it, but my wife and job are here. She likes trees and I hate the big cities, but for retirement/vacation home would like to find out about Montana. What areas are good for medium sized towns but not traffic congested area where I can get something from 1 to 20 acres just outside of town. I've been reading some of the post and I don't want to change anything about what little I know but would like to find out about the whole state. Also don't want to much cold but 4 seasons with scenery, like mountains or lakes and greenery, with not too much wind or constant rain year round. Let me know.

Wayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 32,000 times
Default space

I live in Columbus,MT. It's about 40 mi. west of Billings (Montana's largest city. We have a beautiful view of the Beartooth Mountains and because we're on top of a hill, we have just about a 360 deg. view that includes the Snowy Mountains and the Yellowstone river valley.
The price we pay for this is that we have to haul water,put up with a bumpy county road and the almost constant wind-but it is well worth it.
Winters here are cold but with the very low humidity (when the wind idn't blowing) don't fell as cold as the temps show.
We have four seasons here-starting winter,winter,still winter and road construction. (just kidding) we do have four distinct seasons, although one must be ready for anything-a while back it was about 60 deg. during the day and then it snowed that night.
Be ready NOT to have the level of services that you might have where you live-if your out in the country, you may have to put up with gravel roads, mud,dust,washboard,pot holes-you may or may not have a good well-you may have to haul water-connect to wireless or satellite internet (our phone lines here won't handle DSL-you may not have cable or antenna tv-satellite only.
If you have pets, you might loose them to the wild critters that are around here (we lost a cat).
A 4 wheel drive might be a necessity as well as a generator 9we haven't lost power-yet)
You may have to drive a ways to do major shopping-
I'd say get as much information as you can and better yet, come and visit the areas that you might be inteersted in.
I like eastern Montana, it's more agricultural,dryer,somewhat flatter than the western part-the westeern part has more mountains,more snow and is growing rapidly-unforunatly more rich folks and yuppies are moving into the western part of the state.
I'm not trying to discourage you but, one must be realistic of their expectations and possible inconveniences.
Hope that this has been some help

Old 05-25-2007, 02:29 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,809,784 times
Default re:

I think a smart thing for people to do is to figure out which of the larger towns they want to be close to for hospitals,majority of shopping ,jobs,ect... then look into the smaller towns that are within what they think is reasonable for commuting. thats what we did,we are only two miles from out little town,so we still get the out in the woods feel and all the wildlife,with only having to drive 18 miles for the big town shopping or doctors needed from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: