U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,493,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
none of this frilly stuff like brocoli or brussel sprouts)
Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts are hardly "frilly". Ask any kid who has been forced to eat them.

I happen to like them, but most people don't seem to like brussels sprouts because they are slightly bitter. They look like miniature cabbages, another non-frilly food.

I can't imagine but that that Montana steak and potato would be just perfect with some well-cooked Brussels sprouts and its "pot-likker".

When I last visited my grandma there she served me....ELK AND GRAVY! Among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 PM

2,625 posts, read 10,221,977 times
What do teens do for fun there? I SAW a show that documented the high meth use amongst montana teens, i know this is a problem in other states too, just trying to get info.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM

216 posts, read 579,222 times
From what I have learned, those houses are not native Montanans. They are celebrities and rich folks "vacation homes".

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts are hardly "frilly". Ask any kid who has been forced to eat them.
That's because they're a form of toxic waste

Actually kids can smell and taste things like the oxalic acid in spinach and some other dark green veggies, and oxalic acid interferes with calcium metabolism (so important to growing bones). So the kid's instinct is that these foods are "poison" -- that's why some kids have an outright panic attack about refusing to try 'em, before they've even tasted 'em.

And now, I'm gonna help Rickers eat that steak and potatoes and corn on the cob (all drowning in real butter), that's a right fine dinner! Well, provided the steak is good and rare inside

Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Wow Reziac, seriously? Then why do I love spinach so much? Hmmm. Maybe I need the iron more than I need the calcium huh?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Wow Reziac, seriously? Then why do I love spinach so much? Hmmm. Maybe I need the iron more than I need the calcium huh?
Yes, seriously. There are exceptions, probably mostly kids who lack some of the genes that let us taste bitter stuff. (Which are good survival genes, because most bitter plants are poisonous to some degree.) Most adults lose some of their ability to taste stuff (ever notice kids like mild cheese and hate sharp cheese, but most adults like sharp cheese?) so tend to prefer stronger-flavoured food regardless.

Spinach doesn't actually have a lot of available iron. Liver is much better for that. But adults, especially aging adults, need calcium more than was previously thought, tho, and if someone has osteoporosis, stuff that binds calcium in the blood (eg. oxalic acid) is probably not the best idea on a regular basis.

Of course, the real reason could be that you are Popeye the Sailor in disguise

Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM

4,919 posts, read 7,846,278 times
When I lived in Montana, I don't recall any Montana natives I knew that ever planned on leaving or who complained much about the state (except they bemoaned the lumber mills closing and all the rich transplants moving in and driving the land and home prices way up). Most seemed proud to live there and liked the lifestyle. Many had not ventured out of Montana much, it is a pretty secluded state. We had pot-lucks at work sometimes and I always had to ask "O.K., exactly WHAT kind of meat is in this dish.." before I would eat it. They like more "exotic" meats then I am used to such as elk, buffalo, bear, and or course, lots of venison.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 PM

What's wrong with those meats? I'd eat them in heartbeat, and have had buffalo quite often actually. Venison is a bit dry but totally edible!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 PM

I never had any of the exotic meats (well, unless you count mouse!) ... venison and elk aren't exotic in my book, they're ordinary winter meat tho I prefer beef. -- Someone once gave my uncle a chunk of bear meat -- it was red as red could be even after it was cooked, very strange. I was about 8 at the time and didn't taste it. I would sure like to have a bearskin rug!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,767,013 times
Those meats aren't "exotic", now Cougar, or Bobcat or Muskrat, now those are exotic

I had to live in Europe for a year, and spent a lot of time in the far east, (Aisia that is, not New York ) and that is where I learned the hard way, "If it tastes good, DON'T ask what it is"!!

A good friend of mine sent me this poem in an e-mail. I don't know who wrote it so I can't give due credit, but they definately lived in Montana.

It’s winter in Montana ,

And the gentle breezes blow;

Seventy miles an hour,

at twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Montana ,

when the snow's up to your butt.

You take a breath of winter,

and your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful,

So I guess I'll hang around.

I could never leave Montana ,

My butt is frozen to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana