U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,906,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Or it could have been laced.
That could be a problem, yes. Seems to me it's a good argument for know thy grower, rather than buying it off the street (for medical or any other use).

Hmm, that brings up another question. What about stuff the plant takes in from the soil? I'm wondering if MJ is prone to pick up contaminants, like some plants do. Container-grown plants are actually more at risk for that sort of thing, being they must be fertilized, and that the limited "wash-through" of a container doesn't let water take away built-up chemicals. This doesn't seem to be an issue for recreational users, but what about, say, a cancer patient whose system is already delicate from chemotherapy?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 6,086,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Marijuana does grow wild in MT (dunno about now, but there used to be some in the ditches along I-90, between Big Timber and Laurel)
Yea right ! Why do I not believe you on that ? You are very good at finding facts. Maybe you can find some data on cannabis to convince us that these plants can survive our cold winters.
If you saw MJ growing in the ditch in Montana is was most likely from some kids tossing a bag of useless seed out the window of a car and they grew tall and quick until the winter killed them off. Cannabis can not sustain a regenerating patch in Montana's climate, but however you have proved me wrong before and I may be wrong again.

Last edited by Rickers; 02-02-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM

189 posts, read 178,646 times
The hemp weed has a bazillion varieties, naturally adapted to nearly any crappy growing environment. The vast majority of these fibrous weeds, however, produce the wrong chemicals for producing intoxication. Or as we used to say back in the day, it "wouldn't get a fly high."

These wild / industrial varieties would indeed ruin a medical marajuana crop if the medical plants were exposed to their pollen. In fact, ANY pollen will cause the flowers to seed resulting in lower quality. The sticky crystalline stuff that grows on the buds is designed to attract male pollen. If the flower is not pollenated, the plant will pump that stuff out in an effort to reproduce, resulting in lots of THC.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM

A female plant (deprived of pollination) can develop male flowers on a branch or two to pollinate itself, I think.
The best M.M. is generally grown indoors in a hydroponic root environment and the buds can get so big and heavy that the plants need support or trellising or suspension wires. Soil brings in bugs and to keep the crop clean and protect the strain from cross pollination, a decent grow-room should in a way resemble an industrial clean-room. I am not a grower but I know a few. I have a black thumb !
I also think that hops can be grafted to cannabis and vise versa. That would make a heck of a beer !

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
A female plant (deprived of pollination) can develop male flowers on a branch or two to pollinate itself, I think.
<snip>
I also think that hops can be grafted to cannabis and vise versa. That would make a heck of a beer !
<goes off, reads random stuff> Apparently there are now gene-manipulated plants that cannot produce those desperation pollinators, having been twiddled to lack the male gene entirely. Agree that a clean-room environment is going to be most reliable (as it needs to be for MM), tho ya sure hate to see that electric bill!!

I found some articles on grafting hops to hemp roots, but ... ordinarily the only thing a graftee gets from the host root is some determination of growth size and habit (e.g. fruit tree size is controlled by the root type -- dwarfing or normal) -- doesn't change its biochemistry or fruiting (you can graft a pear to an apple root, but the pear will still produce pears, not apples). I didn't find anything offhand about whether there is significant THC migration from the roots. I know some people smoke plain hops, tho, which sure does make a person wonder about beer.

Hops grow wild along the East Gallatin... the vines are tough as rope. Couldn't break 'em with my hands, and that was before I lost my grip!

As to the stuff in the ditches along I-90, I have no idea what variety it was, could have been industrial hemp (which to my understanding can survive just about anywhere, tho I couldn't find a range map offhand) or the product of random littering of recreational MJ (not sure how tough it really is -- some plants will surprise ya. Cauliflower is supposed to be a tender annual ... well, here in the desert it's a tough perennial that survives temps well below freezing!)

Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Yes and I'm waiting for nutria to finally migrate up to western Montana or wild hogs ! That would make the human infiltrators seem welcome compared to those, or maybe they would be welcomed ?
I had a huge great veggie garden in my yard in InSainDiego but I couldn't seem to grow melons for some reason.
I won't try to grow anything anymore but my income. Too bad I can't "grow" good tenants.

Notice my all blue smileys ? Maybe some growers will name a new strain "Blue Smiley" Damn I'm up late for an old codger, maybe I qualify with all the pain from my new recent bout of kidney stones. Ouch, I can't sleep hurting like this. My poor wife is going through the same thing.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Melons are funny critters. In Great Falls we had a problem with them only producing male flowers, which wasn't real useful. Here I've sometimes had the opposite problem -- have to ration the males among the girls! Hand-pollinating often works better'n waiting for the bees, too.

You two aren't drinking lots and lots of grapefruit juice, are you? That can cause kidney stones! Another cause, contrary to intuition, can be insufficient dietary calcium. When you don't get enough, or if you overdose on Vit.C, calcium starts leeching out of you bones, into your blood, and can get deposited in soft tissue (kidneys, joints).

Meanwhile, maybe you need to sign up for some MM yourself

Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM

10 posts, read 25,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Really?? Well, I agree, but people are going to farm what they can make a living at, and it's tough to make it with veggies at this point.

Pot is actually California's #1 cash crop, despite every effort to suppress it, which goes to show how dumb it is to NOT legalize and tax it.
It's grown in two green houses that used to be owned by the old seed company. This is a large scale legal operation.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM

6,507 posts, read 8,074,287 times
Quote:
The legal M.J. growers in Montana as well as other states are regulated by the federal government as to how many plants a legal grower can have who is providing pot for clients or patients (I think, to 99 plants).
Despite the wording of the federal laws against it, the regulation by the feds of number plants grown, is in my opinion de facto decriminalization on the federal level.
That makes no sense, seeing as how the federal government doesn't (officially) recognize ANY pot growing or use as legal, be it for state sanctioned medical use or not. If it's true, you may be right about it being "de facto decriminalization."

Quote:
If you saw MJ growing in the ditch in Montana is was most likely from some kids tossing a bag of useless seed out the window of a car and they grew tall and quick until the winter killed them off. Cannabis can not sustain a regenerating patch in Montana's climate, but however you have proved me wrong before and I may be wrong again.
I don't know about wild hemp growing in Montana, but I've seen it growing all over Iowa and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wyoming. I had a few hemp weeds sprout up in my back yard here in Gillette several years ago. I had gotten some top soil and manure spread in my yard the year before it first showed up, so it's possible that's where it came from. My wife and I were certainly not users, and my kids were both under 5 years old at that time, so it didn't come from them. I let it grow just for fun. (It was next to the house nearly growing from the foundation and adjoined my tomato patch.) I moved to a new house after the second year they grew, and I think I chopped them down anyway.

My point is, I don't think you have to worry about Montana's cold climate killing off pot plants. The seeds will last for years if frozen, so the winters aren't going to kill them, and much of the pot growing in California and Oregon is up in the mountains where climate is similar to Montana's plains. Give hemp water and light and it's hard to eradicate. I know Iowa has been trying with state programs, and you don't see it as much as you used to, but it's still not hard to find. Not that you'd want to smoke it anyway. You'd probably die from smoke inhalation before you'd get enough THC for a buzz.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM

369 posts, read 908,772 times
I have read most of the posts on this issue and am disturbed by the intimate and intricate knowledge most posters have on this subject which indicates to me that the problem is greater than I thought.

The referendum that Montana voters approved will prove to be a tragic mistake for our children and the betterment of our culture as well. I firmly believe that the use of cannibis for medical reasons is just an excuse to get high. I firmly believe that MJ is an entry level drug for even more addictive, illegal drug use. A recent letter in the Missoulian from one of the organizers made a plea for growers/prescribes/suppliers to cool it before they ruin it for the rest of us. The law has done nothing but increase the take for drug runners and users who distribute.

During a stay in a very nice motel in the Eugene-Springfield area last Spring, I was in the middle of one of those "come and see if you are qualified to get medical MJ exams" on my floor. I have never seen such a tide of human debris trying to get their pot "legally". Obvious drug users. Don't know whether they got their stash or not. But that's what we've created and we will reap the whirlwind very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana