U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The OP asked:

Hi guys, I was wondering does anyone know anybody who is actually prescribed marijuana for medical use? I noticed Montana is a state that allows it so I was curious as to how often doctors actually prescribe it and what for. I know it helps with appetite for people on chemo and maybe anti-anxiety? Our current state doesn't allow it (though it is decriminalized here for recreational use).

I see nothing in this about legalizing pot for everyday use, nor do I see left wing and right wing talked about. I don't even see any questions about tobacco use.

I'll ask again for folks to get back on track.
Actually I do know one person who has a prescription, but unfortunately she is the use the system type of douche that has 4 kids from 4 dads (and no, none of them are mine) and hasn't worked in years, letting us taxpayers pay the way. I don't know if that's a good or a bad example. All I know is if I have to take a pee test to do my work, these types should have to take one to use my tax dollars.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
All I know is if I have to take a pee test to do my work, these types should have to take one to use my tax dollars.
Totally agree with that!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 PM

216 posts, read 579,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
I firmly believe that the use of cannibis for medical reasons is just an excuse to get high. I firmly believe that MJ is an entry level drug for even more addictive, illegal drug use.
I'm sorry but you are mistaken. I wonder if you have known anyone with cancer who couldn't eat and was about half the person they used to be when they finally died. You know if someone can't eat, their body certainly doesn't have the energy to fight off infections and/or regenerate healthy cells.

Use some common sense here please.

I'm sure there are a few dopeheads who try to get it legally and shouldn't, but I am also very sure there are people who ACTUALLY benefit from it with their illnesses.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM

216 posts, read 579,198 times
So from the answers here it looks like not a whole lot of people get it, and now I know what conditions it is recommended for. I am glad for all the information and I believe I have learned what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
So from the answers here it looks like not a whole lot of people get it, and now I know what conditions it is recommended for. I am glad for all the information and I believe I have learned what I wanted to know. Thank you!
I didn't say I was against legalization, be it for medicinal purposes or for recreation. I just said the only person I know with a prescription is a loser and a manipulator of the system. She has no need for "medicinal" dope, she just wants to get stoned and not get in trouble for it.

It bugs me that people like myself that are required to have background investigations and drug tests to perform our work play by the rules, and I think that people that use our tax money because they don't want to work should have to take the same urine test to get government benefits.

If a person has a legitimate need for pain relief, or something to help with the appetite.. by all means... I don't really care if someone wants to get stoned for fun either, I just don't like the double standard.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 PM

406 posts, read 1,205,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Guess this is a touchy issue or something? I read the law and it is perfectly legal that is why I asked, just being curious. I don't have cancer (hopefully!!) just wondering!
There are doctors who prescribe it in Montana. The wait list is months long though. You can always attend a Medical Marijuana Convention, which seem to be getting more numerous in Montana's bigger cities, and they usually have a doctor at the conventions which will ask you a few questions, and then write you a letter saying you qualify. You will, of course, have to qualify in medical terms, so bring records, and any information you have regarding the state of your health.

With that said, I know a lot of guys who work construction who have their cards, and they are all healthy enough to frame a house in the winter...

The dispensaries in Montana have EXPLODED in number in the past few years, and because of this Lewistown, and Great Falls have issued a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries. This will most likely not happen in Bozeman and Missoula, as the councils in both towns seem to be in favor of this business.

But, it is still illegal to grow, possess, or sell marijuana according to federal law. There are tons of stories about the Fed busting down the doors of legal dispensaries all across the country, but when they come to Montana, I guarantee it will be big news, since the Fed tends to leave Montana alone when it comes to issues of the State (must have been the Battle at Little Bighorn).

Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanatooregon View Post
There's a huge, legal, grow operation on Highway 12 on the Westside of Helena. Personally I would be happier if they grew heirloom organic fruits and veggies.
I promise it is an economical decision, not a subversive threat to middle America.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,722,984 times
To add to Michael's comment: You can and will likely be fired for any MM usage in the State of Montana. Your prescription does not trump any drug-free workplace policy. Montana has a very low bar for firing for cause and the federal statutes are enough to provide shelter for the firing.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Those are good questions. We need either a legal grower or one of their customers to tell us how it really works!

I used to be a medical marijuana caregiver. I stopped growing because the DEA is still raiding grow ops and cracking down. So far Montana has been immune to that, but I decided to consciously take my name off the list. Either way, I know a dozen growers in Livingston and Bozeman. The law is very simple and cut and dry, which is how we like it.

I am sad to see Lewistown and Great Falls putting a moratorium on dispensaries. It could really help the economy, but it is the city's prerogative to govern as they wish.

If you need a card, this is how it goes:

-set up an appointment with a doctor known to write letters of recommendation for medical marijuana (there is a few I know of), or keep up with the marijuana conventions being held all over the state, and there will be a doctor there.

-you get your letter, send in the form, which you can print off the internet, or have it provided to you at the convention. Send this with the fee. On this form, you will need a caregiver's name and place of business on it. (They will be at the convention, or just do a Google search and you will find dozens in Montana. There is now over a hundred, but the more enterprising ones have web pages).

-In a month or two (very quickly compared to other gov't function like starting an LLC.) you will get your card. When you get your card, call your caregiver up. Visit him, tell him what your pain is, and he will grow a strain for your needs. There is indicas and sativas, and they will pick a strain with a little of each to suit your needs (you can read about this anywhere on the internet as well.)

-Your caregiver will most likely help you grow your marijuana as well, and give you pointers. He/she will supply you with clones and walk you through your first crop. You are allowed to have 6 plants in your house, and your caregiver can grow 6 plants for you, but neither of you can have more than an ounce of YOUR weed. (If the caregiver has 10 patients, he can have 10 ounces. This is a big problem as a crop takes 3 months to grow, and will most likely yield 2-6 ounces).

-If your caregiver is unwilling to help you grow or won't give you clones, you fill out a new form and get a new caregiver who will. I have yet to meet a caregiver who is not accommodating when it comes to helping you grow.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Are the legal grow farms monitored? I mean, are they limited to what they produced, based on number of legal customers or do they just produce with no limits? Do they charge a set fee? Are they limited as to how much they sell to one customer at a time? Obviously, a customer can't go in and buy 20lbs at a wack. What's the limits?
There has not been much in the way of state regulators coming in to monitor grow ops, as it is so new. I guarantee that they will be monitoring in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or