U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,705,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsole View Post
Well hello there and welcome!

I can tell you one thing about Montana we aren't joking around here with our winters. If you have been to GF though it may not bother you. Just keep in mind that because GF is farther north you have rather hostile weather, the roads will be bad in the winter time. I am not saying that when October hits we go into some kind of 9 month deep freeze (although it seems like it sometimes) but it is winter and certain conditions have to be taken into consideration.

My husband lived in GF for a time and he personally did not like the area. I do have an idea though that housing can be spendy up there but you will probably be able to find some reasonable rentals due to the AF base.
I definitely agree about the bad roads. They don't take care of them here the way they take care of them in the midwest. They're mostly "man-plowed" (aka... if they're driven over enough times by the general public they flatten, haha!).

Great Falls winters aren't that harsh. Last winter 2008-2009 was the harshest in a while. I remember in December 2008 there was a real cold spell. Like 25 or 30 below. It was real bad for a good night or two.
But it hasn't been that bad this winter, IMO. And even when it gets into the colder temperatures, there is always a part of me that thinks, "Eh, it's not that bad."

A part of me must still be assimilated to Northern Wisconsin winters. Get a taste of that "lake air"... from both the local lakes and Lake Superior (Lake Michigan, for eastern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois)... and you'll know what cold is.

....And that's not even as bad as Fargo, ND/Northern Minnesota!

And we still have daily flights that come in from Minneapolis. If it's not Northwest, I don't know what it is, but... it still comes in every day like normal.

Last edited by MSPLove; 02-04-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM

7,538 posts, read 12,550,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
Thanks for your advice. Do you remember exactly where these older areas are?
The falling-down ones that I knew of were mostly immediately north of downtown, and up in Black Eagle. And there was a red-light district in the lovely old brownstone houses along 2nd Ave.North But the majority of GtF's older houses are mellow rather than decayed, and there are still some beautiful classic homes built around 100 years ago. I've noticed a few older houses that I remember listed on the real estate sites, generally more facelifted than deteriorated. I wouldn't worry about it -- for practical purposes, if it's been painted in living memory and the doors aren't falling off the hinges, the neighbourhood is probably okay. There may still be some unpaved streets -- that just means the homeowners declined to vote higher property taxes on themselves to pay for it, and doesn't necessarily reflect anything else.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Hi There,
Please feel free to contact me anytime. I can help you understand the offerings at MSU-Great Falls College of Technology.
Natalie
406-771-5132
[email]natalie.nefzger@msugf.edu[/email]

Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM

7,538 posts, read 12,550,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Nefzger View Post
Hi There,
Please feel free to contact me anytime. I can help you understand the offerings at MSU-Great Falls College of Technology.
Wow, the course offerings have really expanded since last time I checked, which was maybe 3-4 years ago. Lots of practical job-skill type courses, too. Really pleased to see that. How many students are enrolled?

BTW there is a problem with the webserver, it should alias "http://msugf.edu/" to the same location as "http://www.msugf.edu/" but it's not doing that, so the former comes up as an error (and it spits up the wrong error to boot!)

Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM

199 posts, read 429,011 times
It looks like they have a Pharmacy Tech program! That might be something I'd be interested in.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 AM

30 posts, read 53,448 times
Helena is a great area as well....

Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big skymt1 View Post
Helena is a great area as well....
Sorry, but I am set on Great Falls.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM

3,079 posts, read 960,102 times
I lived in the Dallas area for 30+ years before moving to Montana 2 years ago. I live about halfway between GF & Helena, up in the mountains, and do almost all of my shopping in GF. Being a military town, the layout is easier to comprehend since it is built on a grid system.

I can tell you if you don't like humidity, this is the place to be. I have never lived anywhere where it can rain for 3 days and there is still static electricity. And I'm not kidding when I say Bag Balm is the only thing that keeps my skin from cracking! Be prepared for the wind also!

Although I don't live in GF, I have found it very interesting that the town is not divided into "classes" like Dallas was. You know....the Highland Park/SMU area vs South Dallas. There can be several blocks of lovely Victorian or newly built homes interspersed with trailers and homes in major disrepair.

Personally, I am not happy here, for many reasons, and will be leaving the beginning of May. It has nothing to do with the people as I have met some wonderful people since I moved here. What is does have to do with mostly is the lack of job opportunities and the weather.

I guess I'm more "citified" than I thought!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
I lived in the Dallas area for 30+ years before moving to Montana 2 years ago. I live about halfway between GF & Helena, up in the mountains, and do almost all of my shopping in GF. Being a military town, the layout is easier to comprehend since it is built on a grid system.

I can tell you if you don't like humidity, this is the place to be. I have never lived anywhere where it can rain for 3 days and there is still static electricity. And I'm not kidding when I say Bag Balm is the only thing that keeps my skin from cracking! Be prepared for the wind also!

Although I don't live in GF, I have found it very interesting that the town is not divided into "classes" like Dallas was. You know....the Highland Park/SMU area vs South Dallas. There can be several blocks of lovely Victorian or newly built homes interspersed with trailers and homes in major disrepair.

Personally, I am not happy here, for many reasons, and will be leaving the beginning of May. It has nothing to do with the people as I have met some wonderful people since I moved here. What is does have to do with mostly is the lack of job opportunities and the weather.

I guess I'm more "citified" than I thought!
Sweet! It's good to hear another Dallasite has made the move! the Grid system is a huge plus (roads in Dallas can be confusing... Avenue K in Plano changes names about 3 times... I believe to Plano Rd, Lake Highlands when it's in Dallas and something else when it gets to Allen).

What do you mean lack of job opportunities? how hard is it to find a job in Great Falls / surrounding area?

and it's very good to know there's no humidity. that pretty much makes me miserable during summer times.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,381,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
... do almost all of my shopping in GF. Being a military town, the layout is easier to comprehend since it is built on a grid system.
The rectangular street grid preceded the Air Force base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana