Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 5,991 times

Advertisements

I am a single just past middle-aged going on 25-year-old female that is seriously considering moving to Montana. I was raised in the north and the cold weather does not bother me. I even lived eight years in Minnesota so I know what below zero weather is like. I presently live in the woods on 5 ½ acres of land and would not like to have less. More is fine. I am a woman of color and I use this term loosely because I am of mixed heritage and I embrace all of them but most people will want to label me as Black. I have no problem with that. I just want to know if this is going to cause a problem for me living in the outer sections of Montana. There was a time that I would not care and would fight to the death my right to live where I chose to live, but I am just too old to fight and all I want in my retirement years is peace. Please be honest. I am not looking for political correctness or platitudes. I am community minded. I volunteer with the United Way and I am a practicing nurse. I am a productive member of the community where I presently live and I would hope to be a contributing and productive member of any community in which I live. I need honesty. Would Montana be a good choice for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
dear older nurse
i would not retire to montana, horridly isolating. the elderly need friends. the elderly need medical infrastructure. the care you have selflessly lavished on others, must soon be given to you, dont remove yourself from it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Thank you. Your reply was indeed insightful. Though I am past 30 I am not quite ready for AARP. I know that I will have to make adjustments and perhaps even more relocations throughout my life but I am not ready for the ALF just yet.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
I don't think you would find racism to be any worse in Montana than elsewhere. What you might not be accustomed to is the lack of diversity. This MIGHT lead to a kind of unintended racism, where-in people simply won't know how to react simply because you are different from the norm.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM

I should feel right at home since I am very used to being the odd man out. I was the brainiac in school that preferred books to movies. I don't watch television except on a rare occasion. I prefer nights to days and it wouldn't bother me if I never saw another paved road or a building higher than one story. I have always been different from the norm I don't mind strange stares or even strange questions. I just don't want to have to worry about bonfires in the middle of the night.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
I lived in Billings, Havre and Helena during the 80-90s. I never saw any overt racism like that.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear older nurse
i would not retire to montana, horridly isolating. the elderly need friends. the elderly need medical infrastructure. the care you have selflessly lavished on others, must soon be given to you, dont remove yourself from it.
My neighbor is almost 90 years old and still lives on the 40 acre farm he homesteaded. I think the "horrid isolation" keeps a smile on his face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn View Post
I should feel right at home since I am very used to being the odd man out. I was the brainiac in school that preferred books to movies. I don't watch television except on a rare occasion. I prefer nights to days and it wouldn't bother me if I never saw another paved road or a building higher than one story. I have always been different from the norm I don't mind strange stares or even strange questions. I just don't want to have to worry about bonfires in the middle of the night.
Can't speak for anyone else, but your welcome to live near me. I don't care what color you are as long as you are honest, friendly, and have a positive attitude.

I'll try not to hold it against you because you are smart and like to read. Probably also good that you don't mind "strange" questions, because most of my questions are strange. As for "bonfires in the middle of the night":
the only Cross around here is at the church in town, and we have an indoor stove to cook on.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Thanks

I want to thank all of you for your replies. I have learned a lot from your responses and to be honest you said just about what I expected to hear.

I presently live out in the woods six miles out on a dirt road in the heart of what many call KKK country. I have lived here for over ten years and I have only had one incident of overt racism directed towards me and that was the night of our most recent Presidential election.

I try to be a good neighbor and I like to think a good friend. I believe that people are people and the wrapper that they happen to come in is not by choice and is of very little value. It is what is inside the wrapper that is important and how you determine its true value.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn View Post
Oh, just like a science fiction fan

As someone else says, you might get some reserved or staring responses but it's just a silent "Whoa, different, now how should I react??" or "Huh?? whozat??", NOT racism. But most likely you'll hear a lot of "Howdy, where ya from?"

I remember when I was in the 6th grade in Great Falls, this was back in 1965, and a kid came into our school from somewhere back east -- with long hair and Beatle boots. We'd never seen anything like that! Albert (I still remember his name!) soon had more friends than he knew what to do with, cuz everyone was curious and he responded pleasantly. I think that's a pretty good and typical indication of what you can truly expect.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM

151 posts, read 326,249 times
Ok, so I stumbled into this converastion, I am looking into getting the H%@#) out of Oregon! As of right now Montana, South Dakota, and Colorado are the 3 states that popped onto our radar.....
I like you guys here! Funny, REAL, (as real as one can be in cyber-space, I suppose) and I am wondering WHERE in Montana are you!?
We are planning a road trip in April to scope out our choices. Really, where are you at? And are there towns you recommend?
We are just over 50 (BARELY - K?) and enjoy skiing, rafting, hiking, biking (he does, not me) also, are used to cold, not so much heat. I am originally from South Dakota & hate the humidity! We like a bit of a tourist town, as we will probably relocate our retail business there.
Any help is much appreciated & thanks for any input in advance! ~ N ~

Last edited by tripphome; 02-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana