U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm worried about the culture too. I'm leaving WV in 9 days for Helena. I'll be rolling into town with an old 98 Dodge 2500 diesel, tugging a 7x16 trailer loaded with my essentials- motorcycle, guns, clothes, tools, deer heads..

I think I might get harassed for being from WV or something.
Isn't WV just an older part of MT??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 PM

9,524 posts, read 7,784,584 times
Quote:
I'm worried about the culture too. I'm leaving WV in 9 days for Helena. I'll be rolling into town with an old 98 Dodge 2500 diesel, tugging a 7x16 trailer loaded with my essentials- motorcycle, guns, clothes, tools, deer heads..

I am a transplanted Pennsylvanian. The only thing I can say is, remember, the deer out here are much bigger than they are back East!
Oh, yeah, racoons are pesky varmints, not edible game animals.
Same for squirrels.
NEVER, EVER, be anywhere after dark with a spotlight and a gun!
Welcome, and enjoy your new life in the West!

Oh, yeah, forgot; Out here, we usually only count ONE side of a buck's rack, not both sides. So, when we talk about a "4-point" buck, it is a pretty good sized deer!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:04 PM

11,825 posts, read 15,440,126 times
You know I'm still not sure.. This whole "I'm from somewhere else other than MT thing" and the locals just has me so nervous.

I have no gobs of cash, I don't want to change the state, the culture (except for maybe bringing some ramps and pon haus). I want to hunt and fish and be a family... I don't know if they'll accept me.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM

9,524 posts, read 7,784,584 times
Quote:
You know I'm still not sure.. This whole "I'm from somewhere else other than MT thing" and the locals just has me so nervous.

I have no gobs of cash, I don't want to change the state, the culture (except for maybe bringing some ramps and pon haus). I want to hunt and fish and be a family... I don't know if they'll accept me.
I don't think there will be a problem.
Although, there is ONE statement that I recommend you NEVER use: "Back where I came from we did THAT, THIS way!"
I can just about guarantee the response will be "Perhaps you should have STAYED back there!" or "Perhaps you should return to there!" or one of the many variations thereof. Many people here have no patience at all with that attitude.
You CAN fit in, and you WILL be accepted, IF you make the effort to get along. Yes, it is really that simple!

Old 04-04-2010, 03:10 PM

11,825 posts, read 15,440,126 times
Yeah but one thing I've learned over the years is that sometimes someone's own way of doing something is better than mine, or vice-versa. So therefore this boy may have something to school some others!

Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Oh, yeah, racoons are pesky varmints, not edible game animals. Same for squirrels.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
Hi Everyone;

I've lived in Illinois 99% of my life, but with the economy, my job situation, and my families desire to live near mountains, I've started looking at Helena recently. Montana is very beautiful and sounds like a nice peaceful place to live.

Or so I thought. Then I started reading these forums and now I'm more than a little concerned. Based on my reading it seems like my family would be in constant fear of some local deciding they don't like our car, or out clothes and taking a shot at us with their open carry gun. If what I read is true, they would have around 30 minutes to kill us before a cop arrived. It may even be longer since the roads aren't paved.

My hope is that the extreme posts I see here aren't representative of the actual situation in Montana. I know I won't be able to actually tell until I have a chance to visit, but if I do get an opportunity to interview I wouldn't want to waste my time if the state or city aren't safe for "outsiders". I'd never put my wife and kids in harms way.

I would prefer the "we hate people" group to refrain from posting in this thread, your views have been well noted in all the other threads. I'm most interested in hearing from people who live in or around Helena and had moved from other parts of the country.

Thanks.
I can't really imagine living in the fear that you must experience based on your post. It's true that most good Montanans enjoy and respect our freedoms. That includes all of them, not just the right to bear arms.. (although just like in the rest of the country, there are those that like to emphasize certain rights and forget what freedom really is.. ) I can understand your cautiousness though, as I spent some time living in IL, as part of a work project, I thought when I went there that I'd hate it, but I found the culture interesting, and spent many days in my off time hiking and rock climbing at starved rock by Utica when I was building infrastructure on the south side and in Joliet/Bolingbrook/Romeoville.

I was working on a big project for a large telecommunications company and picked the area to make some $ and also to spend some time with my sister who still lives out that way.

This post is kind of interesting to me because I grew up part time in CO and in MT, and my sister in CO and IL. My sister is very "liberal" these days, and we both came from a rural background In lifestyle she is a city girl and I'm a country boy.. Our politics are polar opposites, but we both appreciate each others views for the most part.

(Truth be told, I carried a pistol daily on the project in Illinois, but here at home I usually only carry when I'm in the back country for critters and most of the time don't when I'm working in town unless I'm on the road...)

I can truly say it was hard for me during that project to see how many people were so reliant of government services, but at the same time I made quite a bit of money after storms using my bucket truck and chainsaw trimming trees in the spring after the snow on the side.. It amazed me how many people didn't even want to fix problems with their own trees and expected the government and power companies to do everything for them..

If you want to come out this way be ready to do some work for yourself and don't expect huge government services.. You will have a chance to meet good neighbors and live the life you seem to be looking for if you are willing to give a little also.

As for gangs and such, the ones here are more low key, but they do exist.. If more of the ones moving here were willing to spend time with the kids that come from California, Chicago, New York, DC, Philly etc and help them see a little better we'd all benefit... Lots of them just bring their problems with them and cause trouble, so don't think that the schools out here are immune from that stuff either..

OK I'll really stop ranting now... Good luck to ya.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM

305 posts, read 777,711 times
Quote:
Bring your pon haus - you'll be welcomed with open arms! Well, atleast in my house!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
If my family goes into a shopping center are we going to be visibly out gunned?
Only if you try to rob the place

Otherwise, be thankful that an armed citizen is likely to be there to save your butt in the unlikely event that someone does attempt to rob you. Unless, of course, you'd rather wait for the cops, who could be an hour away. Be sure to ask the robber to politely wait to bash your head in until the cops arrive.

Open carry doesn't mean people run around waving guns and shooting each other at random, despite old movies and what you may have heard about the Old West. What it really means is that defending yourself and others is not a criminal act, as it is in some states.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,796 times
Quote:

.............and don't forget about the gun rack in the cab rear window of the pick up-----complete with a coiled up lariat and rifle in place. Also tobacco juice streaked out the driver's window and rearward on the driver's door is a "good thing" along with extra wide mud flaps (with the chrome 'pin-up girl') on them...............oh yea, and a bumper sticker that reads: "My kid can beat-the-tar-out of your kid!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana