U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:23 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times

Advertisements

NorbuLinka, I think you were referring to Did you hear the one about the Hebrew-speaking bomb-sniffing German shepherd police dog in Helena?

Will your restaurant be certified kosher or the so-called kosher-style?

If kosher, then you might want to check with Rabbi Chaim Bruk in Bozeman at http://www.jewishmontana.com for information about obtaining certified kosher meats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:35 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hot Kosher Cornbeef sandwich on real Jewish Rye Bread with a Kosher Dill Pickle and washed down with a Chocolate Phosphate drink would be delightful.

What's with the Chocolate Phosphate drink?

Traditionally, it would be either a Cream soda or a Dr. Brown's Celery Tonic, followed by tea and cookies.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM

16 posts, read 18,075 times
Folks,
i have tears in my eyes, and am reading your words, so nicely put together, in between the tears...
thank you so much for kind of warm welcome i sense here, hope i am not hallucinating....
you see, i am trying to figure out OR or MT, and have just recieved an unbelievable complicated rental agreement from OR, which will probably become 100% more complicated once God, excuse me - i meant to say the screening company - will find out i am a foreign entity (it does not count that i belong to human species) without rental history and/or work history in THIS country. other countries on planet earth don't really count.
and suddenly - your kind words. can't thank you enough!
i wonder if in MT i will have to face an army of various Gods, implying that the life and VALUABLE CREDIT i have accumalated in my life does not count, as it was not US made.

[SIZE=3]once again - many thanks![/SIZE]

Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,607,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbuLinka View Post
a good home cooking simple and healthy restaurant, using olive oil and fresh produce, no powders or chemicals, food coloring agents and harmful transfat. do you think people of Monatana would like this kind of food?
I'm not real familiar with traditional Jewish food but I have liked the kosher items I've bought in the grocery (always very good quality especially the meat), and I like matzoh and matzo-brei Good, plentiful, fresh, not too fancy, all at good prices -- can do well anywhere. Traditional food might lend itself to a small very personal diner as a starting point, after all you can always expand once it's doing well.

Jewish-American traditional as the core menu would probably attract more folks, who could then try the specialty dishes without feeling like it's more of an adventure than they planned on.

It does sound like the kind of place I'd expect to encounter in Helena, maybe because I get the impression of a quiet, family-oriented, traditional atmosphere.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,536,535 times
In Bozeman, you would have competition with Starky's, a restaurant in Bozeman with the best pastrami sandwiches in the state! The owners are Jewish and have an excellent menu.

I don't know what the current cuisine in Helena would be in competition to you. Helena might be a good place to start.

I like Walter's suggestion that you contact Rabbi Chaim Bruk in Bozeman and get some advice about moving to Montana and having a restaurant business.

Welcome to the Montana discussion forum!!
;-)

I

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,309,173 times
Hello again NorbuLinka,

Most Montanan's are very decent down to earth people. What you see is what you get.
We have a rich culture and tradition, (not as old as the one you come from, but it is ours), and we can respect the traditions of others as long as they grant us the same consideration.

As banking is pretty much international now, and Israel is such a close ally of the United States, I would think that you should be able to easily show your credit history and have it approved here.

Montana passed a law several years ago that puts our banks on a footing similar to Switzerland. There is a bank on every corner now because of that, so international banking should be no problem.

I did some research and there is one restaraunt in Helena, The Mediterainian Grill that serves some middle eastern foods. They focus primarilly on Greek and Turkish, but they seem to have a good business going.
I am not a big fan of Souvlaki and things wrapped in olive leaves, but I have traveled the world and found that I do like a lot of strange new dishes.

Come on over and when you get set up, let the board know and maybe we can have a get together with the board members.
I would certainly enjoy trying out your menu.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,536,535 times
Here is an article about Starky's in Bozeman
and the food they serve:
FARM TO TABLE | Fall 2009 (http://www.ediblecommunities.com/bozeman/fall-2009/farm-to-table.htm - broken link)

Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 AM

525 posts, read 492,872 times
NorbuLinka,
I think you'll find Montana a very welcoming place, and people who wold love to have your skill and service here. If you're going to open a restaurant, you need to know that they typically run on a pretty slim profit margin. You'll need volume. Billings is the largest city in the state, by far, and has a large number of people from larger cities where your foodstyle is well known. I really think that you will find Billings to be the most promising location for your business. I have travelled alot and can tell you that a jewish deli is needed here. I would guess that we have the largest number of jewish people in Montana here (not that it would be your largest source of business). However, it would probably be a n early source of business that would spread the word. We have a synagogue (Beth Aaron) if you want to have one nearby.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Here is an article about Starky's in Bozeman
and the food they serve:
FARM TO TABLE | Fall 2009 (http://www.ediblecommunities.com/bozeman/fall-2009/farm-to-table.htm - broken link)
Oh my, homemade pastrami... a friend's late mom (who was back-country French-Canadian) used to make it, and it was to die for... her method was essentially to rub the meat with assorted spices, then let it age under the sink for a few months (no kidding, that's what she did)... lovely delicate flavour and melt in your mouth texture. Wish I knew her whole process... store-bought pastrami just doesn't cut it anymore!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Montana passed a law several years ago that puts our banks on a footing similar to Switzerland. There is a bank on every corner now because of that, so international banking should be no problem.
Explain??

BTW is Empire Federal S&L still in business? I used them in Bozeman, was very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana