Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM

16 posts, read 31,577 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

we are mother and adult daughter, tired Jewish Israelis, fedup with wars and hatred, looking for a quiet, peaceful place to start a new life.

we have read about an Israeli dog making a respectful career at Helena's Police, and thought that maybe we could also...

a good home cooking simple and healthy restaurant, using olive oil and fresh produce, no powders or chemicals, food coloring agents and harmful transfat. do you think people of Monatana would like this kind of food?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
There are all kinds here. Everybody is welcome. If there is good food, then people will go there. What would you serve?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbuLinka View Post
Hello Everyone,

we are mother and adult daughter, tired Jewish Israelis, fedup with wars and hatred, looking for a quiet, peaceful place to start a new life.

we have read about an Israeli dog making a respectful career at Helena's Police, and thought that maybe we could also...

a good home cooking simple and healthy restaurant, using olive oil and fresh produce, no powders or chemicals, food coloring agents and harmful transfat. do you think people of Monatana would like this kind of food?

thanks.
IMO, a small sandwich shop located in close proximity to the U of Montana in Missoula, would do quite well. To be able to get an honest-to-goodness
Hot Kosher Cornbeef sandwich on real Jewish Rye Bread with a Kosher Dill Pickle and washed down with a Chocolate Phosphate drink would be delightful.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM

thanks for your replies! much appreciated!

BIG potions @ fair prices this is the Mantra.
we will serve mixed food, representing Israel's rich mixed food culture, created by immigrants from all corners of the world who came to settle during Israel's 62 years of existence.

and Jewish-American traditional food, such as Montana Griz suggested.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:43 PM

ElkHunter, will you supply fresh meat?...

Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I have a hard enough time furnishing meat for me. hahahahaha Game warden keeps a close eye on me. So far, so good.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 AM

ooopsss.... game warden... hmmm... i guess it is a guardian, keeper, regulator of hunting permits.. something like that?

'xuse my ignorance...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
NorbuLinka;
Welcome to the Montana Forums

A restaraunt that serves good food at good prices and a decent atmosphere will usually find a steady clientele.

Montana is a little different than a lot of places for a food service enterprises because you don't have numbers of people, so you have to build a clientele of steady customers. Not impossible, but just something to remember.

Where you are will also determine your volume. There is a Japanese restaraunt in Helena, Genkis (sp?) that is a fabulous place for really good oriental food. It is never crowded, but it does have a loyal client base that eat there often. If people knew how good it actually is it would probably be standing room only, but there is the notion in Montana that sushi is a fancy word for bait.

Helena would be a nice place for you, Bozeman, Missoula and Billings have more people and competition, Great Falls I don't see as really adventurous in an eating sense for trying new things, Kalispell I am not as familier with.

As to finding a new home, a hard working mother and daughter with good values should have no problems at all fitting in.
Be prepared for a lot of questions about your homeland. Not being rude, but genuinely curious.
Montanan's tend to be straighforward in their questions and that can sometimes be taken as too forward, but it is usually just a genuine curiosity about places they have never been. Israel is one of those far off legendary places, so there will be a lot of interest.

I did hear about the dog coming to the Helena Police Department, should be a good addition.

We are far removed from the wars, we don't have the gang violence or crime of more populated areas, but we do have people with strong political beliefs such as the Freemen or the various enviro-wacko groups, and some of them can get really noisy, but most are not dangerous.

The only thing we don't have a lot of are Jewish Temples. There are some, but if that is something that is important to you, you may wish to research where they are located.

There is a small Jewish population in most of the larger towns, but to be honest, most people won't care. I have a friend I worked with for several years that is an Orthodox Jew, and I didn't know it until recently. Doesn't matter, he is a great guy. I don't think you would normally have any problems.

One last thing, yes, A Game Warden, (sometimes refered to as a "Fish Cop"), is the individual who enforces laws about wildlife.

Good Luck and keep in touch

Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbuLinka View Post
thanks for your replies! much appreciated!

BIG potions @ fair prices this is the Mantra.
we will serve mixed food, representing Israel's rich mixed food culture, created by immigrants from all corners of the world who came to settle during Israel's 62 years of existence.

and Jewish-American traditional food, such as Montana Griz suggested.
If you settle anywhere near the Mission Valley, we will come. Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,902 times
You should do nicely in Montana if your food is good. I lived in Israel, actually on the West Bank, for a year an a half about 35 years ago. I have to admit, my wife and I ate out quite a lot both in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv Beirut, Damascus, Amman and Cairo and I thought the Israeli quisine was dreadful! Arab prepared food was much better if you skipped the goat eyes and the like! I'm sure you have had Musaka Chicken prepared in a traditional Arab manner. Jewish Kosher and Muslim Halal dietary laws are very similar and, as a result, there are some items missing that we Westerners like, particularly bacon, ham and shellfish and the mixing of some items that is prohibited. But I think Arab food makes better use of spices and herbs - probably that is the difference.

Helena had Montana's first Synogoge. It now is being used for another purpose but there is a historical plaque in front of the building that explains its history.

There is a Jewish fellow, Walter Greenspan, on this website who frequently talks about his culture. If he's listening I'm sure he could be of assistance.

Good luck and Shalom!

Last edited by grizzfan; 03-04-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Better explanation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana