Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,113 times

Advertisements

OP, don't believe the online coverage maps you might find.
I travel the state every week, all year round. I have an AT&T and a Verizon phone. It is very rare that I get Verizon coverage and not AT&T; generally they have reception in the same places, even some very remote areas. It is just uncommon to not have reception in any town in the state, I mean any town! (except Eureka)

There are areas of course that due to mountains or canyons you won't have reception with any carrier.

Also, in some areas with poor reception, I have found that if I sit the phones down and leave them in one spot for a while, they will pick up reception.

So, if you want to stay with AT&T you should be fine, though Verizon "officially" has the best coverage in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 AM

305 posts, read 869,334 times
As I'm sure you already know, it would be a good idea to get an external antenna for your phone so you can pull in those weaker signals. I previosly used a cell phone exclusively instead of a land line phone and could not get a reliable signal even living in town. I then purchased one of these Wilson car amplifiers and was amazed at the signal I could pull in.

wilsonelectronics.com

Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM

271 posts, read 460,292 times
Great idea Gman! Thanks for sharing that advice. When we moved to MT we had AT&T and could'nt pick up squat. We got an Alltel phone and later a Verizon one and had no problems with either.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
Great idea Gman! Thanks for sharing that advice. When we moved to MT we had AT&T and could'nt pick up squat. We got an Alltel phone and later a Verizon one and had no problems with either.
There is no ALLTEL service in Montana as such. Verizon "bought them out" approx 12 to 18 months ago.

So, comparing Verizon to AT&T........IMHO, "Verizon is the winner", w/o a doubt.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
I use Sprint when I am in state and around Anaconda - Butte over to Billings. Then been up through Helena to Great Falls over to Lewistown back south to Big Timber with no problems either. Look at there coverage map it covers the state as well. Sometimes roaming sometimes not no extra charge on my plan.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:50 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
Thats great to hear rambrush, I have followed this thread and we have sprint, if
we get moved sometime this summer, we already have sprint but are on a 2 yr
contract, still have another yr to go so I was hoping there would be some coverage from
Great Falls to Helena.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
I just talked to someone who has a "Wilson Booster" which let him get 3 bars on his phone here where we normally get zilch. Seems like a good gadget, at least if you have somewhere to plug it in (like your vehicle). Doesn't have its own power supply. Does have an external antenna.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:46 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
This is an old thread, but by coincidence, I was just talking on the phone tonight with a lady friend who lives on a ranch outside Three Forks and works at the BZN airport. I asked her about cellular coverage and she says that Verizon still has the best coverage throughout the state.

When I visit her next month, I'm bringing a T-Moble and an AT&T SIM chip for my phone to compare with each other.

Even though I purchased an unlocked iPhone 5 from the Apple store the other month that is both CDMA and GSM capable, Verizon does not support that particular iPhone 5.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:12 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
I live near Three Forks. I have T-Mobile, but not for long, because it has all sorts of problems.

My phone uses 3 or 4 different providers depending where I am (and maybe the phase of the moon, it's not consistent). None of them is T-Mobile. Which makes no difference otherwise. (I don't have roaming charges so I don't really care whose name comes up.)

If you have a cheaper service, you're already throttled and will get a weaker signal than folks who give T-Mobile more money. There is no fix for this. (Actually tested against a similar phone at the same location, but 2x more costly service.)

Voicemail DOES NOT WORK. I have to go to Dillon before it works again (no, I'm not kidding). There is no fix for this: When you call in to fetch your voicemail, it asks you to leave a message FOR YOURSELF. Tech support is singularly unhelpful, because T-Mobile doesn't officially work here AT ALL, so it's not their problem.

Coverage is not as good as AT&T's (which seems to do better in these hills than Verizon).

Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
My brother had the mobile kit installed in his pickup truck. It provides a cradle on his dash that when the phone is plugged in that cradle, it uses the vehicles sterio speakers as the phone speaker. Then there is a microphone clipped on the visor. Now, when you get a call, because it's on the sterile, you have full adjustment of volume. Also, a handheld cell phone is only. .5 watts. Half of a watt. But plugged in to that cradle, the phone is now a full FIVE watts. Very advantageous while traveling, but, of course it doesn't help when you are out of the vehicle.

He paid about $150. to have that installed in his truck. Well.worth it. He has very few dead spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana