U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

11,854 posts, read 15,494,778 times

Advertisements

I've got an interview for a job in Helena next week and I really want to understand the hunting regs. I'll turn a job DOWN if a state has crappy regs, lol. I'm assuming MT is a great state, but trying to understand bag limtis for deer on their DNR webpage is difficult.

I assume elk is based on a lottery, so I'm more concerned about whitetail and mulies. My family subsists on white tails here in WV. During a normal season here in the counties I hunt I can harvest 3 with a bow, one must be a doe, and 3 with a rifle, again one must be doe. Maximum bag for bucks statewide is 3 (i think) regardless of season. Basically if I bought all extra tags for muzzleloader, doe season, etc I could bag 13 deer here. Generally I harvest about 6 white tails and that pretty much feeds our family of 4 just fine all year.

So what is the basic low down in MT? I see it's based on zones to some extent. Also- are the landowners pretty cool with hunters? I have pretty good succes finding places to hunt around here. I hunt a 300 acre tract and help the landowner grade his road, run some fencing, little bit of work and their cool. Oh and I share the harvest too. We make our own bologna, salami and jerky so I always offer some up.

Thanks, appreciate any insight on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM

4,910 posts, read 5,796,001 times
Hello Threerun;

Montana has 11 big game species. Moose, Whitetail deer, Mule deer, Elk, Bighorn Sheep, Mountain goat, Pronghorn Antelope, Buffalo, Black Bear, Mountain Lion and canadian grey wolf. There are also a lot of Grizzly bear, but there aren't tags for them yet.

You can buy deer tags, elk, black bear, cougar and wolf over the counter.
Buffalo, Bighorn, Mountain Goat and Pronghorn Antelope are by drawing.

You can use your deer tag for either species antlered deer, or a whitetail doe in most areas, and you can buy additonal whitetail doe tags over the counter. Mule deer does are by drawing in some areas, but you can buy several over the counter tags in some areas.

Elk is usually one tag, special areas are by drawing for trophy districts. Some areas you can get a second elk cow tag.

We have numerous small game species that don't require a tag such as rabbits or squirrels, several upland bird species including Sharptail, Frankolin, ruffled grouse, Blue Grouse, pheasant, Hungarian partridge and the Merriums subspecies of Turkey.

We have 2 seperate flyways for waterfowl, so the opportunities there are pretty open.

We have a lot of public ground to hunt, and a program called Block Management where the Fish and Game pays landowners a small fee to allow hunting at no cost to the hunter.

One area I hunt for antelope/whitetail and mule deer, if you sign up on 2 ranches that sit side by side and have the sign-in station together, allows you to hunt on 15 square miles of land.

The opportunities for hunting are pretty much unlimited depending on what you want to hunt, your luck in drawing special tags, and your desire.

One elk or Moose or buffalo is worth a lot of deer, and our deer are pretty good sized here anyway.
A Mule Deer is about 1.5x the size of our whitetail. And if you want to get really technical, we have 3 subspecies of whitetail here too. The Kansan, Albertan, and a small whitetail known locally in the Paradise Valley as willow deer. They are actually Columbian whitetail that were planted here in the 1930s.

A tag holder can hunt in all districts on a general tag, but the tags that are drawn are for a specific district. You are not limited to the areas you hunt, so if you draw tags for special hunts in one area, you can still hunt for other animals in other districts.

It takes a little while to get accustomed to reading our regs, but it is worth studying.

I don't think our hunting would be any reason at all to turn down a job.

Good Luck!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM

Cool. Do you have to purchase your extra tags before the season opens? That's one thing here in WV I don't like. If you buy the basic WV sportsman license, you can bag one buck during bow or gun season. If you want an additional buck, you have to purchase that tag before the season opens..

What are the season bag limits on white-tails?

And elk- mmm. One or two would fill the freezer. Would have to change my skinning strategy a bit though.. Might have to buy a new barrel for the Encore, lol.. *snap* darn..

It's about the same here for small game. We have a daily limit and a possesion limit on rabbits and squirrels.

Edit- and what does pronghorn taste like? Is it like billy-goat? The old joke here is "How do you cook a billy-goat? You put the roast in a deep pan, with water, onions, carrots, potatoes, spices and a clean red clay brick. Roast in the oven at 350 deg for 4 hours. Remove the goat and brick from the stew. Throw the goat away and eat the brick"

Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,436,737 times
Antelope is good. Some people think it's gamey but if you properly hang it it's not. I prefer antelope over deer.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM

155 posts, read 640,021 times
Threerun..... just so you know, there is no difference as far as the tags are concerned here in MT. If you get the general A tag most places you can shoot an eithersex whitetail, and a antlered Muley, so if you get a whitetail buck during archery you can not use your A tag again for rifle season.

Just read into the regs they are different for different area's. Some you have to special draw mule deer buck, some you don't. Some you can shoot either sex either species with an A tag. Some districts you can't even shoot whitetail, mostly because they do not exist. Even one spot this year north of Fort Peck I believe they offered multiple whitetail buck tags because of the population density. There are general elk disctricts, some are speical draw for bulls, some are only general cow. Like I said it is different all over the state, I would look into it alot just go to the state fwp website.

But I am not certain on exact areas, two deer or one elk a year just suits me fine, but I am single so don't have many mouths to feed.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM

There are some tags that are bought prior to season opener, spring bear must be purchased prior to the April 15 opening, Fall bear must be purchased prior to the September 15 opening. Mountain Lion must be purchased prior to August 30, but the season doesn't open until the end of October without hounds or December 1st with hounds.

The special tags are applied for by specific dates and issued prior to the season openers.

We don't have limits for cottontails, Jackrabbits, Raccoon, Coyote, and some others so daily bag limits don't really apply.

Antelope is my favorite game meat if handled properly. The big thing is to get it cool quickly and not drag it through 5 miles of sagebrush. The antelope season starts early October and it can be warm. The problem is that in some areas you can get a buck tag and 2 doe tags so the first one is taken early in the morning, the second one at noon and the third at sundown. The first 2 have been in the back of the truck all day and then people wonder why they can taste gamey. I wouldn't treat beef that way and expect it to be good.
I carry ice in gallon jugs to put in the body cavity and make sure the animal is skinned and shaded with good ventilation if I can't take it home right away.

Antelope are not related to goats, they do have some physical resemblance, and their closest relative is the Mountain Goat, but the Mountain Goat is not truely a goat either.

A big buck is 120 lbs, they have eyes like a 8x binocular, and can run at speeds in excess of 60 MPH. They are beautiful animals and I really enjoy hunting and watching them.

We don't have a specific black powder season, just archery and rifle. There are some areas that have restricted weapons regulations where Archery tackle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader, Traditional Handgun and Crossbow are all that is allowed, but most of the rest of the state is standard Rifle or Archery.

You can pick up copies of the regulations at sporting good stores or order them from the FWP. There are specific regs for different animals so it pays to do your homework.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Okay- I found the link on the FWP page I believe I need to study, lol..

So let's say region 339, which is North of Helena somewhat.. I have these options: If I buy 1 General Deer A License- does that mean I can take only one mulie doe archery, one buck or doe whitetail archery , and another one either sex white-tail for gun?

Can you buy more than one 'A' to increase your bag in that area?

General Deer A License.
Sep 05 - Oct 18 – Antlerless Mule Deer. Archery Only Season.
Either-sex White-tailed Deer. Archery Only Season.[
Oct 25 - Nov 29 – Either-sex White-tailed Deer.

Special Permit. Drawing only. Apply by June 1.
339-40: Unlim permits. Permit must be used with a valid Deer A License.
Holders may not hunt Antlered Buck Mule Deer in any other HD.
• Sep 05 - Oct 18 – Antlered Buck Mule Deer. Archery Only Season.
• Oct 25 - Nov 29 – Antlered Buck Mule Deer.
Special B License. Drawing only. Apply by June 1.
339-00: 350 B licenses.
• Sep 05 - Oct 18 – Antlerless Mule Deer. Archery Only Season.
• Oct 25 - Nov 29 – Antlerless Mule Deer.
Special B License. Purchase beginning August 10.
003-10: Single Region B licenses. Res or NonRes. Antlerless White-tailed
Deer B License. Only valid in all Region 3 HDs except Canyon
Ferry WMA and Lake Helena WMA.
• Sep 05 - Oct 18 – Antlerless White-tailed Deer. Archery Only Season.
• Oct 25 - Nov 29 – Antlerless White-tailed Deer.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM

OK, you have found one of the special drawing areas for Mule Deer bucks.
The general season A tag is only good for a Mule deer doe or Either sex Whitetail during the Archery season, or either Sex whitetail during general season, or a mule doe with archery tackle in some areas. The A tag is kind of an either sex tag in some areas.

The Mule deer buck in that area, (339) is a special tag that must be drawn, and is only good for that area.

The A tag is sometimes called a Buck tag as it is the one that can be used for either a Mule deer buck or Whitetail buck in most areas.
The second or Doe Tag is a B tag. You will note that the paragraph below describes what is required for a second white tail doe B license.
You can buy a second or more B tags in different areas, but only 1 A tag per season.
( The one exception is damage hunts, the FWP can issue whatever damage licenses they want for a specific hunt).

Remember how large Montana is. It is like hunting several states back east for size, and the habitats and game numbers and availablility can vary widely depending on where you want to hunt. That is part of the reason our regulations are so complicated.
When you come out for your interview, if you have time rent a car and drive around a little. you will see that the areas north and south are very different as are the areas east and west of town.
Nearly unlimited opportunities, but you do need to study the area you want to hunt as the regs can vary widely in a short distance.

Special B License. Purchase beginning August 10.
003-10: Single Region B licenses. Res or NonRes. Antlerless White-tailed
Deer B License. Only valid in all Region 3 HDs except Canyon
Ferry WMA and Lake Helena WMA.
• Sep 05 - Oct 18 – Antlerless White-tailed Deer. Archery Only Season.
• Oct 25 - Nov 29 – Antlerless White-tailed Deer.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
When you come out for your interview, if you have time rent a car and drive around a little. you will see that the areas north and south are very different as are the areas east and west of town.
Nearly unlimited opportunities, but you do need to study the area you want to hunt as the regs can vary widely in a short distance.
My interview is via web-cam, so no exploring. I have to say "Yes", or "No" if offered. I have the benefit of being in the Western states quite a bit, so I know Montana (and Helena surrounds) wouldn't bother me one bit.

What I will need to study is where I wan to live- cause I love being able to bow hunt before or after work.

My mind is sooo one tracked, lol.

Edit- and thanks, I appreciate the help. It might be a bit, err, improper to ask the interviewer about the hunting regs. Gotta feel them out first, lol

Last edited by Threerun; 03-05-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 04:50 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,910,648 times
You know, good luck. I say if you are interested in the job and you enjoy the hunt this much, you will do well here, absolutely one of the major reasons we moved here. There is birding also if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana