U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread_siren View Post
lol, yeah I see more chevy and dodge than ford here but what is meant is people uprooting their families and moving to a low to no job area is not the best idea... most want a quaint small town in the mountains of western Montana... we dont have jobs abounding in these areas, and locals can get quite combative when faced with yet another family stranded here with an outstretched hand battling for the jobs that dont exist... not to mention the lack of rentals and cost of living. 400 for rent sounds great until you realize there are no jobs and if you luck out and get one your commuting for minimum wage at best.
400 for rent? Not in Helena, Missoula, or Bozeman... You might be putting out 400 if you are splitting it 3 or 4 ways..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
400 for rent? Not in Helena, Missoula, or Bozeman... You might be putting out 400 if you are splitting it 3 or 4 ways..
Or renting a garage

Old 04-26-2011, 12:06 AM

14 posts, read 28,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post

lol, yeah I'm in troy... average 1 bedroom is 400 here, but an average job IF you can get one is part time minimum wage about 30 mile commute one way

Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
hello mattman3seven: I have to say that I do agree with the principal that redraven is trying to get across. I am a native Californian. However, I grew up an Air Force brat. My family moved 13 times before I graduated from high school. I moved back to CA and lived there for 20 years during the population boom of the 80's and into the 90's. People came from many other states that didn't like the way things were done in CA, didn't like the schools, didn't like anything. After a while, it became quite tedious hearing how wonderful it was 'back home'. I got so sick of it, I got into a fracus one day at the grocery store with a woman from some other state. And I asked her,if it was so wonderful, why did she leave there and come to CA? For her husband's job, of course. I told her it was permissible for her husband to come, but for her to stay 'back home'. I also informed her that we liked the way things were done in CA, that was why we were still there. But that if she didn't like it, she could either be quiet or don't let the door her in the butt on her way out. We certainly didn't ask her to come to CA and wouldn't miss her when she left. I received applause from other people in line. Then again, we had others from far and wide who enjoyed what we had to offer, and made the effort to fit in to our community the way it was. Not that we couldn't use improvement, but doubting that loud-mouths from elsewhere had the answers. Try to fit in with your community, no matter where it is. Seek out the nice people and forget the ones that bug you. It's that way no matter where you live. Your happiness really does depend on you. Happiness is a choice.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM

114 posts, read 326,141 times
Default Bloom Where You're Planted Unless You Can't Make Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslbz View Post
Seek out the nice people and forget the ones that bug you. It's that way no matter where you live. Your happiness really does depend on you. Happiness is a choice.
Wise words. Though in today's job market, if they are somewhere and non or under employed(most/many parts of the US), it is hard to see the bright side of where it is you happen to be living.

I had someone working in HUD tell me 7 trillion dollars has been sucked out of the middle class economy during the fake housing balloon and then bust. How many of those 2nd mortgages do you think will ever get paid back? (The big banks are betting on about zero.) Many HELOCS funded people opening their own business, sending kids to over priced colleges, and of course living a life style that was already dying. Who is going to buy the over priced/over built boomer McMansions on 32,0000/yr? The housing bubble hid manufacturing jobs being offshored by multi-nationals to countries that allow their workers to be treated like slaves, well even with PBOC intervention and currency manipulation, China is still slowing down, so we will see where this all ends up. Someone said all China would have to do is quit making boots for our soldiers for 6 months and we would have a shoeless army. /rant off

Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrickett View Post
Someone said all China would have to do is quit making boots for our soldiers for 6 months and we would have a shoeless army.
All China would have to do is quit making boots for our soldiers for 6 months and we'd have a few more people employed as shoemakers in the U.S. In fact, wouldn't you prefer your winter boots be made by someone who knows Montana winters for real, not from specs on a sheet?

Seriously, the cost differential at the manufacturing level is no longer as much you'd think. Real numbers from an inside source: the extra cost to make iPads in the U.S. rather than in China would be only FIVE DOLLARS. (Actual mfg'ing cost, IIRC, is just $38.)

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM

406 posts, read 1,205,751 times
I've seen this same argument on this forum for years... I don't even know how many years. People are going to keep moving here, that's just how it is. The earth's population doubles every 43 years, and that's a statistical fact. The ONLY thing keeping people out of Montana is the climate, and even now, people will put up with it for a more comfortable life. That's really all we all want anyway.

So I am on the side of being tolerant. I moved here a long time ago, and now I'm finding it a bit crowded, but what can you do, stop people from multiplying?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,928,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
The ONLY thing keeping people out of Montana is the climate, and even now, people will put up with it for a more comfortable life.
More comfortable life?! Where?!

Read... I mean REALLY READ the numerous threads on moving to MT, and you will hear most folks saying that MT is wasting away. People are leaving their families to go out-of-state for jobs, just to keep food on the table. People are working two or more low-wage jobs just to survive. In the years I've been here, I have watched our little town go downhill. Our choice now is to drive 30+ miles one way to the nearest "big city" to work low paying jobs that stop just short of fulltime hours each week. The state is paying for my children's school meals and their health care. The foodbank is feeding us a few days a week.

Forgive me if I am bitter and scoff at your comment about a more comfortable life, but I can't see your point from here.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,964,996 times
My viewpoint is different. Montana is what it is. The population size and transportation costs will always limit the size of the manufacturing sector. Added value to ag products or extractives prior to leaving state are best likely source of any new manufacturing type opportunities.

The economy of Montana has always been based on two things natural resource extraction and agriculture. Both sectors are thriving.

Extractive can switch from one type to another due to market demand and availability...timber, copper, gold, silver, platinum, lead, oil, coal, gas, talc, gypsum, bentonite, etc. It is the nature of extractives to be boom & bust and their local communities to do likewise.

All the people I know in the professions-medicine, law, accounting- and farm & ranch owners or both are doing just fine. Younger Ag owners have town jobs if their operation is small or heavily debted but that is traditional.

Any trades in areas where either out of state discertionary income or the local extractive industry shuttering has caused local downturn have relocated to extractive boom areas.
The retail and service sectors in those shuttered areas are limping. Those sectors have traditionally been made up of low paying jobs. These are not support a famiy type jobs now or in the past..they have been supplemental.

To me the most alarming change in Montana's demographic is rise of young unskilled non college educated people that have moved here for low paying service industry jobs. I read this in UofM latest economic report. That seems to me recipe for poverty and disaster for social services infrastructure.

Montana has tended to have population with 25% college degreed and much higher percent with some college or trade education. With a large portion of rest of the working age population being skilled. There has not ever been a large pool of uneducated unskilled working age people living here.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM

24 posts, read 25,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHallGirl View Post
I've seen this happen in 2 states I moved to. This attitude that newcomers are not welcome. Back in the 70's when I lived in Oregon, there was a bummer sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Oregon"...and "If you like rain and rust, then stay"...trying to keep people away.

I think most of this hostile attitude comes from the OTHER imports in the state, not the locals. People move to a beautiful state and want to be the 'last one in' and close the doors.

Vermont was the worst. People talked about the length of time they had been there like it was a badge of honor..."Well, I've been here 23 years, how long have YOU been here?" Garrison Keillor wanted to move his radio show to Burlington back in the 90's and was given the same cold shoulder attitude. He remarked that he would stay in Minnesota where the nice people are.

You can't stop people from roaming this great country of ours. That's what makes it so great...our FREEDOM to choose.

I think that you hit the nail on the head with those two sentences.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana