Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:19 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman72 View Post
Heavily armed, easily bored, & off the medication, this was a popular saying on a Linux geek board yearsssssss agooooo...but anyway MTsilver- Thanks for the lesson, I guess I thought that MT was time warped in the 50's I repeated what was said on another thread about wearing this and driving that and you'll be fine. I have been through all of MT and know the differences between MT and say NY I really don't care what you drive or wear, that was the point I just don't want anyone judging me because I drive a BMW SUV and wear Brooks Brothers!! I deserve everything I have, because I earned it But you might catch me in my 83' Bronco fishing with.....dare I say it-a G Loomis Rod and dressed in Orvis. Also, you might catch me snowblowing with a John Deere in your beloved Carhartt bibs- with my Daytona Rolex on of course I think some people on this thread need to not worry about what people have and wear and worry about the character of the neighbor As far as you pulling me out of the snow, I doubt that....we have much more snow and blizzards than MT, but I may buy my neighbor a new motor if his was to fail and he was down on his luck
Simple fact is that people will judge you for being flashy, especially being from out of town and even more if you have an attitude of entitlement.. If you are a good person behind all that, it may take a while to get settled in if you are looking for a "good neighbor" type of environment.

Sounds to me like you would fit in better in one of those gated communities that the local's all hate. Simply because you would be around other people who want to flash their good fortune and don't want to be judged for flashing their money around either.

As for me I don't give a rat's backside what you drive, or what the heck kind of a watch you wear.

As for character, you are absolutely right and I for one find it in poor character to brag about what a person has and choose not to hang around with people that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 AM

216 posts, read 641,028 times
I'm happy to say that we are friendly with our neighbors, very much so. We fit in perfectly well here without having to change *anything* about who we are. I wish the people with closed minds would stop being so discriminatory. Not everyone is a bad seed. It's just you hear more about the bad ones than the good. Good never makes headlines, does it?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:26 AM

14 posts, read 30,614 times
You know, I have to say that the "don't move to Montana mentality" reminds me of my home state of Texas. However our bumper stickers read "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could!". We tend to be more welcoming, I guess? But if you fiercely guard Montana, that just means it is something special that you want to protect..I get that. Even though my family helped settle Texas, I am a member of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, and it is practically in blood, I cannot bear to see what it is becoming. It is for that reason alone my husband and I are looking to relocate to Montana. We recognize how special it is. We respect the fierce protection its native residents feel over it and we want to join that cause. Just because we aren't from there doesn't mean we can't love and respect it, too. Remember that everyone is from somewhere, and for many the choice to leave that home is difficult but necessary. When we put our boots on the ground in Montana it will be with the greatest respect and an already developing love of your home state. We want Montana to stay as it is....we don't want to make it anything else and we'd like to make our home, too.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM

233 posts, read 543,360 times
Wow. Lively thread.

We are looking to relocate and a couple Montana towns are on the short list. We are military and really have no "home town" or "home state".

We are not leaving a place that is bad, nor do we think Montana is a utopia. There are no rose colored glasses either. Our short list includes towns in Colorado, Idaho, and Alaska.

Our short list has been derived from cost of living, access to outdoor activities we pursue, mountains, low population density, a little more "traditional" responsibility and values (that is subjective, but we know what our measurements are), and quality of life (again subjective).

I just arrived in Helena. It is beautiful and I have enjoyed everyone I have met so far. You Montanan's have a great State and some folks wish to be a part of it.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 38,197 times
Wow, is all I can say. There is a wide varity of opinions here. I am just glad to say everyone I have met in Montana have been friendly and outgoing. No one can deny that Montana is a beautiful state and yes other people do wish to be a part of it. This is a site for people with questions about relocating and there are alot of wise and informative people who respond to our questions, and for that I thank you. I learned much from this site and it only makes me want to move there as soon as I can. I really think if one comes with an attitude then you will be met with resentment as you would in any other state, it's not just Montana. When we get moved up there, I am a part of the community and yes I will consider myself a "local". Pashta, I see you are from Woods Bay....we will be neighbors!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
My original post was concerning the number of new posts everyday asking if Montana is the place to move, what part of Montana would suit me, where in Montana would we fit in ect....There are already so many posts and so much information on the Montana forum already. It is interesting how many different topics can branch off of one post but in a good sense. I went through reading from the beginning to end and got a chuckle. I see in one of my older posts it can be interpreted that I am from Cali. I am most certainly not-Montanan my whole life as well as my family for I don't know how long. No, it does not give me anymore right than the person who moved here a year ago. What it does give me is a sense of value for our great state and a concern for what will become of it. I guess my only "rant" would be uninformed people moving in and expecting locals to conform to their way of life. I have seen it personally and the outcome is almost never good. Prime example would be a family who moved in last year. One of their children has HUGE anger issues. This kid turned our tiny school upside down. The parents were no help as they wanted discipline to be the same as their last school..."he has a valid medical issue and therefore, he can't get in trouble"..."the other kids have to learn to just deal with it and accept being hit and kicked everyday because he just needs to feel like he is loved". B.S.!!! After a year with this kid the local kids had enough and started fighting back. The parents of this kid are now saying the kids in our town are violent and they don't know why they moved here. Needless to say, they are moving when the school year ends because our school had no choice but to expell the kid. We have also had alot of other families move here and they are thriving. My kids are thrilled to have new friends. As far as employment.....the new families are finding out that while this is a great place to raise a family, it's not a great place to make a living unless you are prepared to drive an hour and half to work. Then they find out how much "fun" it is to drive that distance over the pass twice everyday. I did that for too long but thank goodness I don't have to anymore. We just had a family move here yesterday. They are from Montana but were visiting our town for 4th of July and just loved it. Their first day here and it was snowing in April, about 25 degrees and the wind was howling. Their kids were freaking out because of the snow, the Mom was already complaining about how cold. Do some research and come during the Winter to see if you feel the same as you do during the Summer. The winter on the other side of the state is alot different than it is here. Our yards are still covered in almost a foot snow and we will be burning the woodstoves until June. lol, on a funny note, my son asked if he could get studded tires on his bike. Gotta love it

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
-snip-

lol, on a funny note, my son asked if he could get studded tires on his bike. Gotta love it
Studded Bicycle Tires

Scroll down.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
How cool is that? My kids just want to ride bikes to school but the roads are still iced up in the mornings and they tend to slip n slide. He had read about studded bike tires at school and now wants some. Guess a little early Christmas shopping is in order.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM

451 posts, read 998,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingtothedogs View Post
. Pashta, I see you are from Woods Bay....we will be neighbors!

Wait 'til you try the Porter Ale at the brewery there!

First Rate!

mg

Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 38,197 times
Ha,ha...that's the first place we stop when we come into town! Have had several good brew's there. ahhh now I want to be there, it's been 6 months+ since the last trip up, I sure hope my house sells this year and soon...hitting the market tomarrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana