Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 AM

147 posts, read 522,332 times

Advertisements

I've seen this happen in 2 states I moved to. This attitude that newcomers are not welcome. Back in the 70's when I lived in Oregon, there was a bummer sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Oregon"...and "If you like rain and rust, then stay"...trying to keep people away.

I think most of this hostile attitude comes from the OTHER imports in the state, not the locals. People move to a beautiful state and want to be the 'last one in' and close the doors.

Vermont was the worst. People talked about the length of time they had been there like it was a badge of honor..."Well, I've been here 23 years, how long have YOU been here?" Garrison Keillor wanted to move his radio show to Burlington back in the 90's and was given the same cold shoulder attitude. He remarked that he would stay in Minnesota where the nice people are.

You can't stop people from roaming this great country of ours. That's what makes it so great...our FREEDOM to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
It's not that people aren't welcome.

But think of it this way.

You invite me to your house for supper. When I get there, I go ahead and move your furniture around because your furniture isn't the way it was where I come from. Then I tell you how you HAVE to paint the walls because they are not earth tones. And by the way, your supper stinks, you need to fix it differently.

Will I get invited again?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,045 times
Victor Montana
Montana Life
Two Families from New York Movin to Montana
We want to move to Montana
places to live in Montana
Please Don't Shoot Me...
How is Montana?
Should I move from Florida to Montana (Kalispell or Great Falls)?
Is Montana for me?
want to move out west

These are just a few threads from folks who are wanting to know if Montana is "right" for them, where is the most "peaceful" "wildlife abundance" areas ect...They ask questions like, "whats the best place in Montana for me?" "Where is the safest place in Montana for families?", or my favorite..."What place in Montana would fulfill my wants?". Honestly, how would anyone already living here know what is right for the next person or what the next person wants? Yes, we can offer advice and examples, but they are based on "personal" experience. I have seen first hand, families move from huge cities, crime and hustle and bustle to our town because they spent two weeks visiting last summer with relatives. They love the small town, peaceful atmosphere, small schools and of course, the wildlife. Alot of them move soon after the first winter. What bothers me is that the kids are the ones who have it the worst. It's hard for kids from the city to move to small towns and go to the small town schools. They have a hard time fitting in at first, luckily, most blend in after a while. Just when the kids are starting to feel a sense of belonging, they have to move again. Some of the threads listed above are from folks wanting to get their kids out of the big city and out into the country.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
IMO ~~ I thought this was a "relocation" forum?? of course folks are going to be curious and some folks have been nice enuff to tell them what their state is like. It's on every single State forum.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM

148 posts, read 561,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It's not that people aren't welcome.

But think of it this way.

You invite me to your house for supper. When I get there, I go ahead and move your furniture around because your furniture isn't the way it was where I come from. Then I tell you how you HAVE to paint the walls because they are not earth tones. And by the way, your supper stinks, you need to fix it differently.

Will I get invited again?
I never realized that you owned Montana.

So....if someone moves to Montana, they must conform to your way of living and forget everything they've ever known?

Oh, and I never realized I had to be invited to come to the great state of Montana!

What is with some of you people? People are free to choose to go wherever they wish. They are free to change whatever they wish, unless unlawful. Too may of you act like you have paid to own part of this state. These are they types of posts that make people feel like it is unwelcoming to outsiders. Some of you need to win the lotto and buy you're own state AND THEN you can pick and choose who comes to your state!

I brought my college degree, business background, and work ethic with me to a small town. Guess what? I am doing pretty well here in MT. I wasn't invited either! I don't really care what people think about me either...Oh, and the food here does stink! Need's more "GOOD" BBQ....Oooops let me guess, go back to where you came from, right? Don't you dare come here and bring you're delicious Texas BBQ!

Nothing personal, I just dont see you're point.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Victor Montana
Montana Life
Two Families from New York Movin to Montana
We want to move to Montana
places to live in Montana
Please Don't Shoot Me...
How is Montana?
Should I move from Florida to Montana (Kalispell or Great Falls)?
Is Montana for me?
want to move out west

These are just a few threads from folks who are wanting to know if Montana is "right" for them, where is the most "peaceful" "wildlife abundance" areas ect...They ask questions like, "whats the best place in Montana for me?" "Where is the safest place in Montana for families?", or my favorite..."What place in Montana would fulfill my wants?". Honestly, how would anyone already living here know what is right for the next person or what the next person wants? Yes, we can offer advice and examples, but they are based on "personal" experience. I have seen first hand, families move from huge cities, crime and hustle and bustle to our town because they spent two weeks visiting last summer with relatives. They love the small town, peaceful atmosphere, small schools and of course, the wildlife. Alot of them move soon after the first winter. What bothers me is that the kids are the ones who have it the worst. It's hard for kids from the city to move to small towns and go to the small town schools. They have a hard time fitting in at first, luckily, most blend in after a while. Just when the kids are starting to feel a sense of belonging, they have to move again. Some of the threads listed above are from folks wanting to get their kids out of the big city and out into the country.

Why do you care so deeply about what other's do? You must be a social worker

Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman3seven View Post
I never realized that you owned Montana.

So....if someone moves to Montana, they must conform to your way of living and forget everything they've ever known?

Oh, and I never realized I had to be invited to come to the great state of Montana!

What is with some of you people? People are free to choose to go wherever they wish. They are free to change whatever they wish, unless unlawful. Too may of you act like you have paid to own part of this state. These are they types of posts that make people feel like it is unwelcoming to outsiders. Some of you need to win the lotto and buy you're own state AND THEN you can pick and choose who comes to your state!

I brought my college degree, business background, and work ethic with me to a small town. Guess what? I am doing pretty well here in MT. I wasn't invited either! I don't really care what people think about me either...Oh, and the food here does stink! Need's more "GOOD" BBQ....Oooops let me guess, go back to where you came from, right? Don't you dare come here and bring you're delicious Texas BBQ!

Nothing personal, I just dont see you're point.
Boy, did you completely take that out of text and run with it. Small example, don't blow it out of proportion.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Boy, did you completely take that out of text and run with it. Small example, don't blow it out of proportion.
It was my vent for the day! Like I said, nothing personal, that's not my thang! I guess being from out of state and living here currently, I see if from both sides. You always want good, caring people to be your neighbors but at the same time why belittle people for asking for advice about this great state! There just seems to be too many people who don't want anyone to come here because they're afraid they might have to see or learn something new and that is just sad. This state needs great people to move here, IMO, because where I live there is a lot of lazy people. I could use a dozen good hardworking people at my place of employment, but there are'nt any here that fit the bill unfortunately!

Anyways, yeah I quoted your post, but the entire post was not directed at anyone in general, again like I said...Nothing personal!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
No, mattman, rest assured you can do whatever you bloody well please. However, if you want to be accepted by the community that you deigned to grace with your exalted presence, it would behoove you to make an effort to fit in with said community.
Sure, you can introduce your neighbors to your wonderful Texas BBQ, but if they don't like it perhaps it would be a good idea to find out what they do like, and see if you can adapt to it instead of trying to force them to like what you make.
The basic point is, if newcomers want to be accepted as part of the community, they need to make an effort to become part of the community, instead of trying to change the community to fit them. Any town will resist that, and make the newcomer feel unwelcome.
I notice you don't wish to identify exactly what area you are belittling with your "lot of lazy people"comment. "SCBC"? Where is that? If you truly have a dozen jobs available, you need to do a little more advertising. You should have at least 100 hard working people knocking on your door on any given day! If you don't, perhaps the word has spread about what kind of employer you are, and nobody wants to work for you? That IS a possibility that must be considered!
As for Elkhunter's comments, he is absolutely right, IMO.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Well, I am driving out to Montana starting July 21st of my vacation and will be driving around Montana for 2 weeks. i hope to see quite a few towns and places to visit as well. who knows, maybe I will even see some others of the CD forum, if I know who they are that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana