Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
One of my college buddies at MSU-Bozeman was from Lebanon. This was back in 1972. If you're just friendly regular folks, mostly people will be curious.... Egypt is an interesting place!!
Thanks Reziac
We wish to be Montanans one day I would say
Is there any poem about MT I wish I can memories or national Montana folklore>>
do you know Any singers or songs who sings for Montana
TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,622,939 times
If you are hard working, honest, down to earth and come with a "I have to adapt" attiitude then yes, you will be welcome. As far as songs about Montana there are quite a few. Hank Williams Jr. (Two Dot Montana), Marie Osmand & Dan Seals (Meet Me In Montana) to name a couple. Just google it.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,364,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love MT View Post
Thanks Reziac
We wish to be Montanans one day I would say
Is there any poem about MT I wish I can memories or national Montana folklore>>
do you know Any singers or songs who sings for Montana
TX
Frank Zappa did a song called "Montana". I wouldn't suggest singing that one unless you are in one of those "artsy-fartsy" coffee houses in Missoula.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
If you are hard working, honest, down to earth and come with a "I have to adapt" attiitude then yes, you will be welcome. As far as songs about Montana there are quite a few. Hank Williams Jr. (Two Dot Montana), Marie Osmand & Dan Seals (Meet Me In Montana) to name a couple. Just google it.
Thanks magoomafoo for the tip !!
As far as honesty and hardworking are concerned I knew that success in the US means those great values along with living with diversity and = opportunities . I have full admire should I say for the American people when I met students from all over the US in short course back in 1989 for the first time. I would say without being bias (not because they are my friends) how wonderful and nice and above all full with high talent >>
Thanks once again for those songs and singers which I will google it any way

Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Frank Zappa did a song called "Montana". I wouldn't suggest singing that one unless you are in one of those "artsy-fartsy" coffee houses in Missoula.
Thanks GLS
I will listen to it when I will go fishing

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 61,045 times
I just moved here from small town MN....I've been getting the cold shoulder for almost a year and I don't have a bad attitude or bad kids or a drug problem(or a Lexus). I don't want your land. Maybe people in MT can't afford to be nice(too many drifters)

Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,508,981 times
lynnethe;

I have found the easiest way to meet people and make friends is to join the hobby clubs doing things I enjoy, or joining a local church, or going to charity functions raising money for kids with cancer or whatever.
I enjoy Hunting and Fishing and a lot of other subjects, and by going to those functions and stores I find like minded people, so I have a starting point to a conversation.
Throw a BBQ for the folks next door, next apartment, down the street, or go to a mixer at a church, volunteer to help at a holiday celebration.

Folks on the street may not have the time, or care to meet a stranger. Most will offer to help if you have trouble, but everybody has their own life and problems.

I don't know anything about you, so my advice is pretty general, but I do know Billings and while it isn't my favorite town in Montana, I haven't had any problems there and can usually strike up a conversation just about anywhere.

I attend the sport shows or ag shows at the Metra, Go to fairs, concerts whatever and can usually find somebody to talk to.
Some become friends, some are just aquaintances, but the big thing is people like to talk about themselves and find that someone who listens to them is a fastinating conversationalist.

Initiate a conversation about something at a show to someone looking at the same thing, listen to what they say, make relevent comments to the subject, and save the "Back home we had..." stuff until later, and I think you will be surprised how well people will accept you.

Most of the work will be yours, initiating the conversation, listening to the person you are talking to, taking inititive to go to those functions.
Folks here usually don't come running up to meet you, you have to look for friends.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM

19,420 posts, read 22,342,846 times
As a MT newbie I get a lot of "where you from again?" I guess because of my dialect. When I say West Virginia, they usually say "Oh- you a Hokie?"

Man- talk about pissing off a West Vuh-ginnie boy real quick, lol

Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 32,479 times
lol, yeah I see more chevy and dodge than ford here but what is meant is people uprooting their families and moving to a low to no job area is not the best idea... most want a quaint small town in the mountains of western Montana... we dont have jobs abounding in these areas, and locals can get quite combative when faced with yet another family stranded here with an outstretched hand battling for the jobs that dont exist... not to mention the lack of rentals and cost of living. 400 for rent sounds great until you realize there are no jobs and if you luck out and get one your commuting for minimum wage at best.

Last edited by dread_siren; 04-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typeo

Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,084,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
"Gonna raise me up a crop of ... dental floss."

I dunno... sounds more hillbilly than artsy-fartsy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana