U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:11 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,282,624 times

Advertisements

It seems like everyday someone from some other state posts a "wanting to live the peaceful lifestyle-is Montana for me?". First of all, why start new posts asking about the wonderful state you are inquiring about? There are "basic" threads explaining this. Second, why on earth would anyone wake up one morning and say "I want to live in the peaceful, pristine wilderness and raise my kids in harmony, I think we will move to Montana." If you have never been here, come for a visit. Be sure to come during the winter AND summer. Testing your winter driving skills would be a good start. Third, Montana is one of the last states to really feel the recession. So we have all these folks from states whose economies are down in the dumps moving here when industries have just started (within the last 6-10 months) to close, face huge lay-offs ect...What is going to happen is that folks that are residents and have been for a long time are losing jobs. Out of staters move in and compete for these jobs. Think about it... I live in a tiny little town. It WAS a good place to live and raise a family. Kids went to school without worry. Honestly, bullying, drugs and illicit behavior was not a big problem. If there was an issue, the community banned together and came up with a solution. Now, we have families moving in from all over....some from Montana but most from large cities out of state. Their kids have been influenced by so much more than local kids. We have seen burglery, vandalism, drugs, bullying....basically our lifestyles are changing because of outsiders. These families that moved in cannot figure out why small communities have such a hard time accepting them. It's not hard to figure out. Ususally, after one winter and the community shunning, they move away, without thinking about the damage already done to their kids. Before moving, honestly research it. Asking a few questions and basing your decision on a few strangers answers is, in my opinion, not enough to be the decision to move my family to a strange place. FYI, not every family that moves in are trouble, we have had some wonderful folks come. I be darned if I'm going to conform so seriously do some research and check out our beautiful state before making the big move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:40 PM

239 posts, read 609,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Honestly, bullying, drugs and illicit behavior was not a big problem.
I was a kid in Montana back in the 60s graduating from high school in 1974. Bullies were abundant. Not much for drugs but too many folks were driving around with too much to drink. There were child molesters, murderers, and quite a few thieves and cheaters. There has always been bad people in Montana and always will be. Don't blame those from out of state for what you see as a "new problem".

Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,811,468 times
Quote:
It seems like everyday someone from some other state posts a "wanting to live the peaceful lifestyle-is Montana for me?". First of all, why start new posts asking about the wonderful state you are inquiring about? There are "basic" threads explaining this. Second, why on earth would anyone wake up one morning and say "I want to live in the peaceful, pristine wilderness and raise my kids in harmony, I think we will move to Montana." If you have never been here, come for a visit. Be sure to come during the winter AND summer. Testing your winter driving skills would be a good start. Third, Montana is one of the last states to really feel the recession. So we have all these folks from states whose economies are down in the dumps moving here when industries have just started (within the last 6-10 months) to close, face huge lay-offs ect...What is going to happen is that folks that are residents and have been for a long time are losing jobs. Out of staters move in and compete for these jobs. Think about it... I live in a tiny little town. It WAS a good place to live and raise a family. Kids went to school without worry. Honestly, bullying, drugs and illicit behavior was not a big problem. If there was an issue, the community banned together and came up with a solution. Now, we have families moving in from all over....some from Montana but most from large cities out of state. Their kids have been influenced by so much more than local kids. We have seen burglery, vandalism, drugs, bullying....basically our lifestyles are changing because of outsiders. These families that moved in cannot figure out why small communities have such a hard time accepting them. It's not hard to figure out. Ususally, after one winter and the community shunning, they move away, without thinking about the damage already done to their kids. Before moving, honestly research it. Asking a few questions and basing your decision on a few strangers answers is, in my opinion, not enough to be the decision to move my family to a strange place. FYI, not every family that moves in are trouble, we have had some wonderful folks come. I be darned if I'm going to conform so seriously do some research and check out our beautiful state before making the big move.
I agree and have seen the same things.

Joe is right to a point, there was an element back in the day, but that's everywhere.. Now its 20 times worse and I think its due to the influx of new people with all their expectations and influence moving out here.. I know the property values getting out of reach for the hard working local sure is due to the newbies and their desire to grab up every chunk of land everywhere...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM

216 posts, read 579,283 times
There is no way to stop people from moving here. The population of the country is growing and people need to go somewhere. It's best to be TOLERANT and welcoming instead of putting them down and telling them not to come here.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,524,927 times
I agree that you might just have to learn to accept the fact that people want some space. I always suggest coming and checking before just buying and moving.
Some people have no idea on the Montana climate changes and such. It is quite a bit different than most other states Snowing in July and starts again in August is not unheard of in many areas of the state.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM

148 posts, read 493,654 times
The same can be said for anywhere, not just Montana. Why anyone would just up and move ANYWHERE without researching and visiting is beyond me. On that same note, what makes you believe someone is moving here just because they are asking advice here? That's kind of the point! I used this forum as a research tool, as I am sure that is all it is for most people, but this message board did not make a decision for me! I seriously doubt anyone is going to make their decision to move anywhere based on a message board post; if they do, well that's just stooooopid!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,282,624 times
So many threads from those wanting to move in are just asking basic questions before they move. Weather, schools, housing, jobs ect. Why not just come here and check it out? I would not start a thread on the Alaska forum wanting to know about the weather cause I was thinking of moving there and heard it gets pretty cold. Just asking Alaskans what they think, should I move there or not? Do they think it would be ideal for me cause I'm from California and not sure if the weather would suit me and my family of six. lol

Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,377,070 times
Quote:
So many threads from those wanting to move in are just asking basic questions before they move. Weather, schools, housing, jobs ect. Why not just come here and check it out? I would not start a thread on the Alaska forum wanting to know about the weather cause I was thinking of moving there and heard it gets pretty cold. Just asking Alaskans what they think, should I move there or not? Do they think it would be ideal for me cause I'm from California and not sure if the weather would suit me and my family of six. lol
I think just the opposite. A lot of times, folks want to move to Montana and are not sure, East vrs West, Large town vrs small town. They have an idea of 3 or 4 places they'd like to be and start out with asking the basics on those places. Maybe they have the info on one place and just want info on another.

For what ever reason, City Data is a relocation website designed to assist people in travels and relocation. What kind of questions should they ask? In today's economy, they can't just jump in the Lexus and run check out each and every spot on a whim. Kind of nice to try and settle it down to one place and then visit if economically feasible.

In other cases, job, military assignment, etc, is forcing them to a particular area and they want to find out some basic info about the area first. It's not easy to come up with detailed questions until they have some base to work off of.

It shouldn't be our position to ask, WHY, but be here and be willing to provide the information they are asking for. If we can't do that, then we need to be elsewhere.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,811,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
There is no way to stop people from moving here. The population of the country is growing and people need to go somewhere. It's best to be TOLERANT and welcoming instead of putting them down and telling them not to come here.
People may need to go somewhere, however it's a TOLERANT thing to do to respect the way things are in the place a person chooses to move, instead of expecting the locals to adapt to suit the person that moves into a new community.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:10 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,363,560 times
Geesh ~~ remind me not to ask questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana