Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times

Advertisements

Meth and such are a problem everywhere. What counts is how many people are strong enough to resist and stand against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:59 PM

26 posts, read 40,177 times
I understand that it's a problem nationwide but New Mexico has really been hit hard, seeing as it's a border town and the chemicals needed can be smuggled across the boarder very easily. I've watched people I grew up with just become... Strangers, monsters, weirdo's, you name it. Of course meth was never my thing, I just couldn't justify doing something that landed me in the bathroom for three hours scrubbing the tile with a toothbrush.

My mother works as a respiratory therapist at one of the local hospitals and a 3 year old addicted to meth came in last year. She had been taken during a meth lab bust and after about 12 hours in state custody she started acting strangely. Long story short, she went into cardiac arrest because she was so addicted to meth that her little body just couldn't take it.

This happens all the time here and it's really starting to **** me off. Needless, what is happening to our country.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Where did I read the other day that Phoenix, one state over, has the 2nd highest kidnapping rate in the world, after Mexico City (where holding foreigners for ransom is a cottage industry) ... gives you an idea of how pervasive the corruption has become, since like the drug business, it's all about lots of money in relation to the amount of risk. Anyway, I guess it's not too surprising that it's trickled over into NM too -- another border that's essentially undefended.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,115 times
Default Reality check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caragarrett View Post

I know there is a place where people still leave their doors unlocked and if your dog gets out someone will bring it back rather than call the dog catcher or shoot it. Maybe I'm hoping high but I want to afford my son and any other children I might have the opportunity to get a good education and grow up around good people.

What places in Montana would you suggest?

Thanks
Got to say this happens anywhere: Last year I moved to a nice, quiet semi rural development (we all have 10 acres or more) well outside any large town. Neighbors are mostly very nice and friendly, but my one, and of course closest, is not nice or friendly to anyone and when one of my dogs wandered in his driveway (I was right behind coming to get him as my dogs are only out when I am, and fences hadn't been put in yet) he chased him out, yelled at me and called animal control. In this county they may seize a dog at large. Even though he was only a couple hundred feet from me, and I was following to retrieve him (he is deaf, but his great nose must have smelled the trash the neighbors stockpile) he was labeled "running at large". The animal control doesn't apparently need any proof or explanation, or whatever. Anyone can call them and tell them a dog is running at large and that's it, end of story. So, beware, small quiet town may seem nice, but you won't know til you commit to buying or signing that lease, if you will still have some problems you thought you'd left behind!
MT is awesome and I love it, but nowhere is perfect. When you run into the bad neighbor, just smile, smile, smile!
Good luck!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 PM

216 posts, read 641,217 times
That is so extremely sad about the little girl. That people would do that to a child...

Anyway, you guys say that meth is a problem everywhere but I hadn't heard of it really until we moved here to Montana.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta View Post
Anyway, you guys say that meth is a problem everywhere but I hadn't heard of it really until we moved here to Montana.
Timing is everything! I hadn't really heard of it, nor had any inkling of its prevalence, until just a few years ago, and I'm in CA just an hour from Los Angeles. I'd guess you just happened to move about the time meth shot to prominence in the news and therefore in everyday awareness.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
That or the work of the Montana Meth Project brought it to their attention. They have made it very high profile: billboards, paper, TV, etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That or the work of the Montana Meth Project brought it to their attention. They have made it very high profile: billboards, paper, TV, etc.
Which not only focuses attention, but inflates the size of the problem in the minds of average people. While before this awareness, meth was something only losers in back alleys did and normal people never heard about, now what with all the new publicity it seems to be everywhere! so the problem must be overwhelming, right?

And there are baby-eaters in the back woods; we need to get the word out as wide and far as possible, before they get YOUR baby!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Yep. When I was in college I had a professor that called that Perceived Mediated Reality Syndrome. See it in the media enough and you start to inflate the problem in your mind, soon thinking it is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana