Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 59,940 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm just wondering about a couple of things. I am reading the Threads about Helena, some good, some bad. I currently live in South Florida (HELL!), too long of a story to tell you why I'm here. Did not want to be. My Mom and Dad live in Basin and other family members live in Helena. I am desperately trying to move my little family up there to be with Mom and Dad. I understand that no place is perfect but no one can say Helena is as bad as South Florida. I cannot emphasize how bad this place is, more and more people don't speak English, they all drive like total a**holes and care less about anyone else. I can't imagine anyplace else like that other than maybe NY or LA, Ca. I have to live near my family. Please tell me it can't be that bad. I just want a little sanity in my life and be able to take my kid Kayaking once in a while.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
nickismontana;

Helena isn't a bad place, especially when compared to major metropolitan areas.
Low crime, mostly decent weather, good scenery, all amenities, but it isn't paradise either.

I live here because I have a job here. I don't like larger towns, just a hermit at heart, but if you have to live in or near a city Helena is about as good as it gets.

My primary advise is to live outside of the Helena City limits due to the high taxes.
There are a lot of small towns within easy driving distance that are much nicer to live in and raise kids in.
Not to mention there are a lot of subdivisions all over the valley and to the east and south within a 15 minute drive.

It is really an apples and oranges thing to compare Helena to south Florida as they are very different places. BUT, Given the choice, except for the heat and humidity and access to the ocean, Helena is a lot better.

My only experience in Florida is Orlando, so I cannot give you specifics on a point by point basis, but I do prefer Helena to all the towns I had to stay in in Florida or California or Washington, (Except Port Townsend Washington, that is a nice little place ).

Plus, there are a lot of opportunities for boating, canoing, jet skiing, kayaking, and other water sports. Just remember, our water is a lot colder here than in Florida!!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
If Helena is anything like South Florida, I ain't coming!!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
I think you're safe Threerun.

No Coconuts, hurricanes or alligators, but on the down side we only have bikini season for a couple weeks in the high summer .

We do have a few fruit loops and granolas though

Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM

189 posts, read 799,675 times
You'll never find anything more opposite of S. Florida than Helena, MT. If you have family up here and you're looking for peace and outdoor recreation opportunities, then pack the U-Haul and head north. You'll be arriving during the absolute perfect time of year. No humidity and no bugs will be a nice change of pace for you too! LOL

Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM

20 posts, read 59,940 times
Thank you so much. Everytime I see my family I just love it. I know Helena (or anywhere pretty much) is not perfect, but it seems closer to it than Florida. We hate the heat and humidity (rather be in the cold where we can sled and cross-country ski) and the bugs are outrageous. We are not beach people either. Like the lakes much better. Like I said I am not down here voluntarily. I will also check the outskirts of town.

Hopefully comin' up before school starts. Thank You

Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM

32 posts, read 85,942 times
This is an older thread, but I wanted to comment. I grew up in Ft. Laudedale, and although I haven't lived in Montana (although I want to!!) there is no way Montana will be anything like Florida and from what you write, you'll be very happy. Most of FL isn't the greatest place to live anymore, unless you have lots of money to afford luxury living. I hope you made it to Montana!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM

54 posts, read 121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelephantblonde View Post
This is an older thread, but I wanted to comment. I grew up in Ft. Laudedale, and although I haven't lived in Montana (although I want to!!) there is no way Montana will be anything like Florida and from what you write, you'll be very happy. Most of FL isn't the greatest place to live anymore, unless you have lots of money to afford luxury living. I hope you made it to Montana!

you forgot being bilingual, since most everything is writen in spanish then english....shame we have come to that.....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:38 PM

32 posts, read 85,942 times
Yes it is a shame and the lack of respect for this country is what ruins communities. Of course you can speak your mother tongue, but learn English. My immigrant relatives did and they didn't have their native language (Norwegian) waiting for them here, written into documents, etc. by the city officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana