U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM

7,538 posts, read 12,552,335 times

Advertisements

If the idea is to get a little warmer and you like the desert, maybe consider Utah or Nevada instead?? Or maybe southern Wyoming or southern Idaho?

Personally I loathe Denver (amazingly dirty city) and only find some of the smaller CO towns nice (I did like Greeley), tho I haven't been there in a long time. I expect the further south you go the more of the border-state problems you'll find.

BTW on average Colorado is the coldest of the lower 48 states, per USGS records. Cooler than MT in summer due to higher elevation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,833,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
........ The big problem in this part of the state is that you can't buy a job and the cost of housing is ridiculous. Low/no wages+over priced housing=instant poverty. Our housing prices are inflated by rich retirees moving into the area......
Sad, but ironic that this would be an accurate post if you flipped it around and the thread was "Moving from Colorado to Montana". The flood of national debt is catching up to us, its' just that the waters are rising a little faster in some places than others. No job =big problem, no matter where you are.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,364,327 times
There are places outside of Grand Junction that you could live and still work in GJ. Fruita is a small town with barely any crime at all. I`m guessing about 10,000 people live there. It`s not far from GJ.There are other other areas like Mac and Loma which are pretty rural.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,705,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Personally I loathe Denver (amazingly dirty city).
I visited once just to see a concert and I didn't find much interesting about it. Granted I didn't do a ton of sightseeing other than downtown there, but I did take the train through the dumpy part of town, that was fun.

On my way back to the good ol' Badger State later on this year (born there and raised until age 14, it's home), but if I were to ever live out west again the only place I'd probably even consider is Washington. And I have zero interest in anything down in the southwest desert regions. New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, etc. I've had too big a taste of the lush greenery of the upper midwest to ever get used to that.... and windy Great Falls has dried out my skin enough for one lifetime. Humidity has it's perks. Your chocolate pretzels may melt in the front seat of your car in record time with the air conditioner turned off for a few minutes, but damn your skin is soft.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:58 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,807,970 times
I've lived in both Colorado and Montana, and I'd stay at home in Montana any day of the week. But that's me:
1: I hate huge crowds, (and that includes the population growth in montana too.)
2: Don't need a starbucks and still make my coffee with a percolator on the stove.
3: I love to fish and hunt.
4: We enjoy good neighbors.
5: I'd like to punch pretentious rich liberals that want to dictate how I live my life or raise my family in the head... and there are less of them here than there are in Co, but still too many for my taste.
6: Montana has always been home to me, even when I stayed abroad in the service or for work.
7: I can still visit a quiet mountain town that hasn't been taken over by yuppies with fur coats and Mercedes SUV's.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,833,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I've lived in both Colorado and Montana, and I'd stay at home in Montana any day of the week. But that's me:
1: I hate huge crowds, (and that includes the population growth in montana too.)
2: Don't need a starbucks and still make my coffee with a percolator on the stove.
3: I love to fish and hunt.
4: We enjoy good neighbors.
5: I'd like to punch pretentious rich liberals that want to dictate how I live my life or raise my family in the head... and there are less of them here than there are in Co, but still too many for my taste.
6: Montana has always been home to me, even when I stayed abroad in the service or for work.
7: I can still visit a quiet mountain town that hasn't been taken over by yuppies with fur coats and Mercedes SUV's.
I'm with you 100% on all points 1-7, although I'm not very skilled at #3 and probably would repeat #5 several times.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
Smile Thinking of Moving from MT to CO

We moved from Colorado Springs 2.5 years ago to Bigfork and lived in CO for 10 years. The reason we left was due to the crime, traffic, noise and general lack of quality of life. We missed the sunshine (300+ days) terribly at first but eventually you acclimate to the cloudy skies in the winter months in MT. We loved Colorado Springs because it was closer to the mountains than Denver and the weather was awesome. However, since we have moved they have had two of the most cold/snowy winters there and we have had much milder winters here in the Flathead Valley. I still miss the sunshine but not the traffic, crime and other stress that goes along with the city life. If you have young children, I would highly recommend staying here. My husband and I agree that we would not move back there even though we loved it when we were there. You can't see the stars, there is no water in Colorado and it would not be a safe place to live if the economy continues to get worse. We have heard that the downtown is now over run by gangs. Stay in Whitefish...or come to Bigfork! We love it here.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

323 posts, read 990,389 times
I would second the recommendation of Grand Junction. If you like being as close to skiing as you are now, you're going to find it much more difficult to live that close in Colorado. Especially with a family and wanting to own a home. Prices near ski towns are astronomical.
I love Colorado, and I love Montana. But they're both different. Colorado has MANY more people for better or for worse, depending on what you're into. But it certainly doesn't have a "I've got this place to myself" atmosphere like many places in MT.
I get wanting more sunshine, and I understand your winters are very grey up north there. But have you thought about moving to the Bozeman area? It's very sunny here, close to great skiing, Yellowstone, a great airport with quick/cheap service to Denver, and it seems to have a decent job market. Decent for these times anyway.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:50 PM

24 posts, read 53,875 times
Default From a Native Coloradoan

I've spent time in Montana and grew up in W. Colorado. I understand how you feel about the gray skies, I get depressed, having grown up where it's sunny a lot. I now live in Moab, UT. I will be spending the summer in Montana again.

Parts of Colorado are still very nice, though expensive. Durango is one. Grand Junction is OK, you could get jobs there, it has one of the best health care systems in the country. Junction is getting cheaper because of the oil patch crash. They have a nice college and are very close to some awesome country.

Would I leave Montana for Colorado? Yes, but only for W. Colorado. The Front Range has been ruined.

Have you considered Utah? Moab has a small but nice hospital. I like Price, though a lot of people don't, it also has a nice hospital, a small college, and cheap housing and is very close to some nice country.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:00 PM

24 posts, read 53,875 times
I will add that I spent last fall in Bozeman and really didn't like it. The real estate cult has taken over and it's as yuppified as any place in Colorado, they call it "Little Boulder."

I did like Livingston across the hill. The Paradise Valley reminded me of places in Colorado. I liked the Jefferson River area (Dillon to Whitehall). I've been up to Glacier and I liked Polson. But Colorado has a bigger variety of scenery in general (I know I'll get beat up for that statement), but it really does, Colorado has desert, redrock, mountains, and aspen trees. I missed that variety. But Montana still has lots of wild places, which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana