Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM

66 posts, read 152,410 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm considering moving to Montana. (I had previously considered Wyoming, but I seem to be leaning more towards MT right now.) I visited last year and loved it. Can you tell me a little about living in Eastern MT? I understand the population is lower than the western area. That's not a problem. I like the scenery of the eastern side quite a bit. I loved Makoshika State Park in Glendive. While the west side is also beautiful, I like a mix of plains and "badlands" type scenery. I'd be more interested in living in a rural small town/city than a larger population center. I also really like western culture. Am I going to get my fill of that in the eastern side or would a rural area more in the west be the place where I'd find more of that?

A little bit about myself...

In terms of a job, I'd be doing programming consulting work.

I live in Upstate NY. I cannot stand it. I want a new environment. I want to blend into that new environment. I believe in the Constitution as the Founders saw it; I REJECT the concept that it is a "living document" or whatever other tripe the liberals like to use as an excuse to ban speech they dislike or meddle with the second amendment (or do away with whatever other amendments that stand in the way of their agenda). New York apparently has the dubious "honor" of having the largest state government bureaucracy out of all 50 states (yes, even worse than CA). With that, we have layers and layers of bureaucracy, waste, political correctness, hidden taxes, greedy politicians, incompetence, waste, horrendous land taxes, waste, waste, and more waste, horribly high health insurance costs (higher than almost every other state because they are loaded with taxes!), etc. We have people who just accept all of this (voting for candidates who will exacerbate the problem) and enjoy the idea of a nanny state.

I've always felt a calling for the west. I love the scenery. I like rural areas. (Sure, I could get rural areas in NY, but the "footprint" of New York is still there, and NY attitudes are not far away.) I like western life. Snow and cold are not going to bother me. While I know it's going to be stronger and colder than it is in Upstate NY, we have been hit hard (particularly last year during all of the alleged "global warming").

I'm not going to be one who says "We did it this way in NY." I want to be part of the area where I'm living and do things the Montana way. \

I do drive a Subaru. I like pickups and used to own one. I got rid of it a couple of years back because gas prices were going through the roof. While I know full well that lots of liberals drive Subarus, I'm not one of them. I bought mine for one reason: I wanted a car with all wheel drive. My pickup had 4wd and being that I live up a hill here, I needed something with 4wd or AWD for the winters. SUVs were one of the few options for AWD yet they did not offer much in gas savings at the time. They also were well above the cost of my Subaru.

Oh and considering all of the above, you can probably guess that I did not vote for Caesar Barackus the Zero. But too many people in the area are still taken in by the way he reads his lines from the Teleprompter of the United States or TOTUS for short. As he continues to waste money on frivolous nonsense, people around here mindlessly say "But give him a chance..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,626,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
Hi all, I'm considering moving to Montana. (I had previously considered Wyoming, but I seem to be leaning more towards MT right now.) I visited last year and loved it. Can you tell me a little about living in Eastern MT? I understand the population is lower than the western area. That's not a problem. I like the scenery of the eastern side quite a bit. I loved Makoshika State Park in Glendive. While the west side is also beautiful, I like a mix of plains and "badlands" type scenery. I'd be more interested in living in a rural small town/city than a larger population center. I also really like western culture. Am I going to get my fill of that in the eastern side or would a rural area more in the west be the place where I'd find more of that?

A little bit about myself...

In terms of a job, I'd be doing programming consulting work.

I live in Upstate NY. I cannot stand it. I want a new environment. I want to blend into that new environment. I believe in the Constitution as the Founders saw it; I REJECT the concept that it is a "living document" or whatever other tripe the liberals like to use as an excuse to ban speech they dislike or meddle with the second amendment (or do away with whatever other amendments that stand in the way of their agenda). New York apparently has the dubious "honor" of having the largest state government bureaucracy out of all 50 states (yes, even worse than CA). With that, we have layers and layers of bureaucracy, waste, political correctness, hidden taxes, greedy politicians, incompetence, waste, horrendous land taxes, waste, waste, and more waste, horribly high health insurance costs (higher than almost every other state because they are loaded with taxes!), etc. We have people who just accept all of this (voting for candidates who will exacerbate the problem) and enjoy the idea of a nanny state.

I've always felt a calling for the west. I love the scenery. I like rural areas. (Sure, I could get rural areas in NY, but the "footprint" of New York is still there, and NY attitudes are not far away.) I like western life. Snow and cold are not going to bother me. While I know it's going to be stronger and colder than it is in Upstate NY, we have been hit hard (particularly last year during all of the alleged "global warming").

I'm not going to be one who says "We did it this way in NY." I want to be part of the area where I'm living and do things the Montana way. \

I do drive a Subaru. I like pickups and used to own one. I got rid of it a couple of years back because gas prices were going through the roof. While I know full well that lots of liberals drive Subarus, I'm not one of them. I bought mine for one reason: I wanted a car with all wheel drive. My pickup had 4wd and being that I live up a hill here, I needed something with 4wd or AWD for the winters. SUVs were one of the few options for AWD yet they did not offer much in gas savings at the time. They also were well above the cost of my Subaru.

Oh and considering all of the above, you can probably guess that I did not vote for Caesar Barackus the Zero. But too many people in the area are still taken in by the way he reads his lines from the Teleprompter of the United States or TOTUS for short. As he continues to waste money on frivolous nonsense, people around here mindlessly say "But give him a chance..."
Very funny last paragraph! Welcome to the board. We are few posters here so hang on. Someone will come along. Would you be working from home so job location is not a problem?
Follow your heart, you only go around once.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...endive-mt.html

Here is an older post to get you started.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,001,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
You can probably guess that I did not vote for Caesar Barackus the Zero. But too many people in the area are still taken in by the way he reads his lines from the Teleprompter of the United States or TOTUS for short.
"Caesar Barakus the Zero" I'm laughing at that one, can I use it ?
I watched that clown giving one of his useless speeches a few weeks ago and noticed that he is incapable of remembering more than one line at a time. Even the lying piece of sheet Pelosi and the "dumber than a doorknob" Biden can do better that that. Bullsheet Barry gave me a marketable Idea for a new bobble head doll. The head wont bobble but the head and eyes would go back and forth going from teleprompter to teleprompter while the mouth flaps away ! I like a politician who can at least look us in the eyes while spewing their garbage.

You will love Montana no matter where you move to and welcome to the board. Oh you'll see lots of Subarus here and I doubt if anyone can tell if the driver is liberal or conservative by looking at them unless the back is plastered with "save the gay baby whales" bumper stickers ! :

Old 05-20-2009, 04:38 PM

94 posts, read 201,743 times
Conservatives and liberals drive ALL kinds of vehicles and some drive the same EXACT type of vehicle! Don't try to put people in a BOX because they drive x, y or z. Think outside of the box when it comes to any stereotype of R and L wing STUFF.

Parts of ND are nice too if you like the Badlands type of scenery.

Best wishes to you no matter where you go.

Catherine
Montana Territory for now...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,088,337 times
I'm reminded of some news pro-
gram's talking head who actual-
ly talked like the nutty narrat-
or from Rocky and Bullwin-
kle, you could tell each time
he got to the end of a tele-
prompter line because it sound-
ed exactly like this!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,088,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
"Caesar Barakus the Zero" I'm laughing at that one, can I use it ?
<snip>
"save the gay baby whales" bumper stickers ! :
Hmmph. That's an insult to the good Roman Republic, which the U.S. gov't was largely intended to emulate. Unfortuately we're going down the same road to ruin as afflicted Rome in its final days.

As to the baby whales... it's supposed to read:

SAVE THE WHALES -- COLLECT THE WHOLE SET!!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,513,898 times
Eastern Montana is a fantastic place to get away from the crowds. Wide vistas under constantly changing skys playing shadows and light across the endless canvas of the high prairie.

A very moody place where it can be warm, sunny and welcoming one minute, black clouds, winds and hail the next threatening your very existance.

Furnace hot to blistering cold, dust, wind, snow, rain, a deficit of water, while at the same time no other place on earth can burst forth with carpets of flowers and green that are so vibrant with color they hurt your eyes carpet the spaces between the exposed rocky bones of the earth jutting out from the ground, reaching for the heavens.This is Eastern Montana.

Life on a grand all encompassing scale almost beyond human imagination. Completely removed from the pseudo-science hyperbole of the so-called environmentalists who could no more grasp the realities of life on the high plains than they could fly to Mars. It is real. Violent, gentle, soft and unbending, it is nature at it's finest.

The land itself humbles the efforts of man to tame a land once walked by dinosaurs that still come up from their millena old graves to bleach their bones it the summer sun.

It is a land that can spark the imagination, cower the unprepaired, destroy the strong and give divine spark to the weak. A place so remote you feel you are the only person on earth, yet so close to real nature it can overwhelm with the abundance of life that abounds in the strange forbidding land.

You don't challenge the high prairie with puny human creations and machines, if you wish to survive, embrace what the land is, not what you envision it to be. Adapt and you will thrive.

Just be careful of the gumbo, pack water, and bring your own job.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,158,775 times
I agree on the car thing. We all drive something, and a subie is a heck of a lot better then those Porsche and BMW SUVs that are popping up. Subarus seem like a practical vehicle.. I just think the wagons are ugly. (To be fair, so is my old beat up pickup) I think Subaru needs to bring back the brat!

A bullsheet barry bobblehead .. I love it! We should go into business together rickers!

As for the OP.. Bill7719, come on out! As Montana has become "discovered", we might as well welcome the folks moving here have their heads on straight!

Rez.. I tried to rep you for that tele-
prompter post, but alas
I need to "spread-
some around" again.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,001,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I agree on the car thing. We all drive something, some around" again.
I'm taking "ol' Betsy" (my 85 toy 4x4PU) over and out there tomorrow to take pics and to fetch one of these cactus to eat for supper. Nopales fritas.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,626,582 times
Mucho "b"s in some of the post!
Great job neighbors with the welcoming post. I have been a little negligent in checking in, do-gone life happens, job, family, school. Plain ole spring fever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana