Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 AM

495 posts, read 488,505 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows I have an agenda about people move here but.......

Someone said $300k for an acre in Missoula, think again, maybe but it probably would be nice, probably a trailer on it.

Also, if you are 50 and concerned with your health, don't take my word, ask other....summers in Missoula are not fun anymore and down right unhealthy with the smoke from forest fire. In recent years it has become a yearly event, as it seems to be happening every summer now to some extent. It effects my throat and eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 15,704 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Great Falls Montana has the lowest cost of living out of the three. We have mountains on 3 sides, east, south, and west.
15 minutes in either direction south or east puts you into the mountains (Highwoods, Little Belt, Big Belt). 30 minutes puts you directly at the base of the mighty Rockies.
Great Falls is STILL the least expensive place to live in the state!

I think it is more like an hour from GF to the Rockies... But maybe you drive faster than my heavy foot.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 55,678 times
I lived in GF for eight years. We moved to GF from NM in '99, because my husband wanted to be closer to family. He grew up in central MT (Shelby, Helena, GF). My husband and I left for several reasons. First, though GF is friendly to visitors, people moving in from other states find it cliquish. I heard this from several out of staters who moved to GF, so it's not just my own experience. I can't say how Billings and Missoula are to transplants. Second, I agree with the poster above who found it rather dull. Unless you are into outdoor activities, there really isn't much to do. We didn't care for the lack of shopping choices either, especially when we were trying to find a specific type of item- big ticket or not. Billings and Missoula definitely offer more choices. Third, I had a hard time with the weather. Coming from NM, the springs were hard on me- nice for a few days then snow and ice. I also got sick of the wind. Fourth, travel from GF is not cheap by plane and takes almost half a day to drive out of the state. These weren't the only basis for our decision to leave GF, others have to do with what we want for our children's futures and some personal reasons. Your best bet is to think about what is important to you in a city and see which city offers the most things on your list.
I will say housing prices in GF have gone up a lot. In the four years from when we bought our house to when we sold it, the value went up $70,000. Good property goes very fast. I don't know if it's the same in Billings and Missoula.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 15,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Great Falls beats the other two out in recreation year round. The oldest operational ski area in the state is just down the road (Showdown).
Great Falls is the only city in the state you can water ski through the middle of.

For 250K you can have a home built new on a few acres (Great Falls).

Most all of north Idaho, the Bitterroot, and parts north into Lake County, Mineral County and Sanders County all dump their garbage in Missoula.
Missoula is also the location of one of our nations larger superfund cleanup sites.

Great Falls and Billings aren't even remotely close to any superfund cleanup sites.
Showdown is wonderful isn't it? Do you go often? Did you know you drive thru Neihart to get there? Do you know that Neihart is a SUPER FUND SITE??? Yup... you are playin and go thru it and didnt even know it...
Don't get me wrong, it is some of the most beautiful ground I've ever laid eyes on and go every chance I get. But it is a superfund site! And that puts it very close to Great Falls.

250 will get you a DANG nice house in GF with a few acres to boot - especially in consideration of what most residents live in... Size Matters and so do Amenities.... I had a home sell for less than this, this past week, and it was on 20 acres JUST outside of GF. Had the views and all.... BRAND SPANKING NEW!

There are lots of superfund sites around, so if this is a real issue to you check them out. Believe it or not, most people are driving thru, and playing in them and have no clue. Erin Brockovich -- ring a bell? Julia Roberts played her in the movie by her name. Ever heard of WR GRACE? W. R. Grace - Home Well think of Libby MT aka A DYING TOWN....

Moderator cut: going to fix the links

NPL Site Narrative for Carpenter Snow Creek Mining District | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA Site Narrative for Carpenter Snow Creek Mining District | National Priorities List <--- Neihart in particular

Montana Cleanup Sites - US EPA Region 8 (http://www.epa.gov/region8/superfund/mtsf.html - broken link) Montana Cleanup Sites - US EPA Region 8

Well I stumbled into this by accident this am, and will go off to play in other corners of the I-net... but I had to say my piece. Thanks to all those who took notice.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-07-2007 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-19-2008, 05:22 PM

15 posts, read 124,057 times
Default Missoula is not Great Falls or Billings

Hi,

Look at what the people are posting. Missoula is the place to be, unless you want your property to waste away. Yep, Missoula will cost ya more, for the obvious reasons people live in a particular place. If Billings and Great Falls were so much, their real estate prices would reflect it. Great Falls is far from the mountains, Billings looks like North Dakota. Missoula is more like Northern Idaho, Kalispell or Spokane.

Good Hunting.

Brad

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,008,277 times
The only thing I have to add at this time is that I don't believe that power boats are allowed on the river in great Falls anymore. And the summer wildfire smoke in western Montana is extremely unhealthy and is getting worse and worse every year.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,895,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
And the summer wildfire smoke in western Montana is extremely unhealthy and is getting worse and worse every year.
I'll second or third that!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,203,564 times
I have a lot of info on new homes around Billings for $250K. My hubby & I have looked a lot over the past year. So if you want some info just let me know. I'm not a real estate person, just a gal who has done tons of research!!!
Georgia

Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 39,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzion View Post
Hi,

Look at what the people are posting. Missoula is the place to be, unless you want your property to waste away. Yep, Missoula will cost ya more, for the obvious reasons people live in a particular place. If Billings and Great Falls were so much, their real estate prices would reflect it. Great Falls is far from the mountains, Billings looks like North Dakota. Missoula is more like Northern Idaho, Kalispell or Spokane.

Good Hunting.

Brad
Missoula I agree is the best place to live in Montana.
I wouldn't say though Billings looks like ND. We are 40 miles away from the mountains.
I really wouldn't recommend GF though unless you had to live there.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:53 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,093,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzion View Post
Hi,

All totally positive reasons to live in Great Falls, in my book

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana