U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times

Advertisements

So, I just found out that I'm moving to Great Falls Mt. and to be honest I'm feeling a lil blue about the situation. I'm from N.C. and i've been stationed in Italy for the last 3yrs, so I was hoping to get stationed a lil closer to home. But life spins funny, and i'm headed to Malmstrom. I've been googling my butt off trying to find apartments or houses for rent in the area, and i've had no luck at all... which scares me. Plus I'm planning on getting married to my GF who is non-military so i'm wondering about the job market there. She's an accountant by the way. So i'm bumbed out, and a lil nervous as would anyone who was moving to a new location. i'm not really worried about the area, because i can adapt to anything being that i was in Afghan for a year and had a blast. I'm just wondering about the lifestyle there, not to mention that I'm a 6'5" african american... Is it racist there? i just dont want to deal with racial ignorance, or want my wife to go through that. i do understand that the race factor exist everywhere (i even experienced it in Italy) i just want to prepare myself if that area is an extreme.

i hope i'm not sounding too negative, i just don't know what to expect so i automatically forecast the worst. on a positive note: i now have an excuse to buy that Jeep Wrangler i've always wanted and i hear that there is awesome snowboarding there.

thanks for any helpful advice you can offer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM

9,341 posts, read 25,392,903 times
AboutTheAuthor, Greater Falls - a blog about Great Falls, Montana! is a Great Falls blog written by an ex-Air Force person, and it has links to other Great Falls area blogs.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM

7,538 posts, read 12,557,146 times
Howdy I grew up in Great Falls in the 1960s/70s (spent a lot of time at the recreation center on base). It has probably the largest black population in the state, mainly due to Malmstrom. Far as I ever saw no one cared if you were black, white, green, or plaid. When I was a kid we lived across the street from Charlie Pride, and other than starting to get famous in Nashville, he was just another neighbour. My mom liked his singing and once sent us kids to get his autograph when we saw him at the bowling alley (she was too shy to do it herself.

My aunt was an accountant in Great Falls and never made much money but it was always steady work. I don't recall who she worked for, tho it was one of the department stores downtown.

Hey, doesn't the base housing office help out with rental listings and such? I vaguely recall they did back-when, dunno about now. My best highschool buddy's dad was a Canadian Major on exchange posting and they had too many kids for base housing. Online rental listings seem to be mighty thin, probably do better with the local newspaper once you get there.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:41 AM

305 posts, read 777,183 times
Have you checked out the Great Falls Tribune? I see they have a few listed there:

*Montana Apartment Rental | Apartments for Rent in *Montana

Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,954 times
I posted an update just a few weeks ago with links to local rental agencies: Apartment Rentals | Greater Falls! And I think your height will attract more attention than your skin color :-) Folks in Montana - more than anywhere else I've been - generally don't care what "color" a person is - they only care that people are nice and polite, in my experience. Smiles are contagious.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterfalls View Post
And I think your height will attract more attention than your skin color :-)
That's true... I soooo wanted to tease the OP about being "tall, dark, and handsome in uniform"

Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,562,706 times
Interesting story about Charlie Pride. He was a good friend of my brother. Charlie took guitar lessons from my brother and he also played in a band with Charlie. Nice guy.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Interesting story about Charlie Pride. He was a good friend of my brother. Charlie took guitar lessons from my brother and he also played in a band with Charlie. Nice guy.
Sure is a small world sometimes We didn't know him other than as just another neighbour across the street (well, kitty-corner anyway ).

I wonder how many people the whole bunch of us might know in common, if only in passing?

Anyone from the base remember Major Snelling? he's my good buddy's dad, from Canada. (Said buddy is the only person from my high school days that I'm still in touch with -- and I only know where one of my GFHS classmates is at all!!)

Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM

17 posts, read 39,975 times
Great Falls, huh? I'm sorry. I lived there for many years, and I don't really miss it. However, if you want a great sandwich, go to the Pickle Barrel.

I don't recall any racism, per say, but the city is two-faced about Malmstrom. The base is probably the biggest reason that the city has managed to reach the size it has, but it can be quick about blaming the "base brats" for any problems in the town.

But rent is pretty cheap in Great Falls. My friend rented a two bedroom apartment near the eastern hospital for about $500 a month. Not too bad. The base also provides housing, but I don't know if that is only for families, or if they have smaller units available, as well.

If you want to go skiing or snowboarding, you'll need to travel about an hour to Showdown for that. The Great Falls area is pretty flat, but if you travel about 25 miles south, you can be in the mountains. The area around Cascade is quite pretty.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 PM

17 posts, read 39,975 times
After a little research, it appears that the Great Falls Pickle Barrel shut down. If so, about the only redeeming thing about the town died.

However, if you are in Bozeman, Livingston or Billings, check out the Pickle Barrel.

If you are in Helena or Missoula, check out the Staggering Ox.

Both places make excellent sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or