U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 01:30 PM

79 posts, read 199,898 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate to a place where the kids can play outside, we dont have to lock our doors ( unless the wife is in the mood) ,
People still say hello and invite you over for dinner and are willing to adopt new friends, is Billings or the surrounding area like this

Thank you for that clarification. My wife thinks she would like to move there, when she saw the pictures she was wondering if there is enough water to grow a vegetable garden or even turn the grass green. Is there enough snow to snowmobile or do you have to drive to the mountains around Bozeman?

Are there any swimming holes around the town or is that further into the mountains?

How far out of town do you have to go to get out of the "hustle and bustle" of billings, can we leave our doors unlocked?

Jim T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM

9,524 posts, read 7,784,584 times
Offhand, I would say you need 5 to 20 acres OUTSIDE of Billings. Then you can get a horse (or two), the kids will have LOTS of room to run, and you can grow whatever garden you want. Some such places you have to haul water for a cistern, some you can get a good well.
In some areas, I think you can separate your grey water and black water, filter the grey water, and use it for irrigation.
Lake Elmo is used for swimming once it warms up, and there are a couple of water parks in town. There are lakes and reservoirs all around the area. Some brave souls swim in the Yellowstone River, but it is too cold for many.
Snowmobiling is usually in the mountains. The snow on the High Prairie often doesn't get deep enough for it, and most of the high prairie is private land except for the "school sections", which are state owned.
Skiing is done mostly in improved ski areas. Some folks ski the back country, and now and then one of them isn't found until spring. Avalanches are killers!
I live about 5 miles from town. There is no "hustle and bustle" here!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:12 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,565,505 times
I always lock my car and doors when staying in Billings.

I agree that you should look outside of the Billings city limits or in a smaller town.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM

79 posts, read 199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Offhand,
I live about 5 miles from town. There is no "hustle and bustle" here!

Is there city water out where you live? and is the land very expensive out there?

Jim

Old 05-10-2010, 04:57 PM

No city water, but I am lucky, I have a well.
Land prices vary so much it is difficult to define "expensive". The more you want to buy, the lower the "per acre" price is.
I have seen 10 acre parcels, with large houses, nice outbuildings, nicely fenced, listed at $500K.
I have seen 20 acre parcels with a modular house, garage and barn, for $150K.
I paid under $160K for less than 3 acres, with a very nice house.
Look online for "billings mt realtors". Search for "out of town properties".
Have fun.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Look online for "billings mt realtors". Search for "out of town properties".
Have fun.
natepickle.................

When I started to look for some acreage 5 or so miles outside of town back in 1976, I soon found out that you "pay" for the following here in western Montana: (and pretty much in the Billings area as well)-- (whether its 3, 5 or 10 acres really dosn't make much difference). editobviously, the more you buy....the less cost per acre).

1/ Trees; 2/water on the property (stream etc); 3/privacy; 4/ Is there power and phone service close by; 5/a nice view; 6/covenents and 7/decent access (dirt lane, gravel or paved & does it get plowed in the winter). IMO, this has not changed very much...(however, you must take into consideration that in the last 30 years, many (60to70%) of the "choice" pieces have been bought up, and in the B.R. Valley area "raw land" prices have increased by more than a factor of 10!! In some cases, more than that.

Good luck and "do your home-work".

Last edited by Montana Griz; 05-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Covenants, codes, and restrictions; and the HOA.
If you want them, you can find developments that have them. In fact, do a google for "pioneer road estates, billings, mt". They have 1+ acre lots starting at $45,000, and all the CCRs and HOA interference you could ever want! The CCRs are listed on the website. I would never buy one of their lots!
I was lucky, the CCRs here consist of about 2/3 of a page, and nobody cares about them. There is only 6 houses in the development, and no HOA. Nobody complains about my motorhome, or the trailers, or the horses (I have 2, one neighbor has 7, another neighbor has 5[not including the brand new colt]), or the "project cars" or the flowers we plant, or my amateur radio station. We all get along just fine without any interference from a HOA board!
That's just the way we all like it!
My son and I even go out in the back yard and shoot our pistols (.45 LC and .45 ACP). Nobody has complained yet.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
I couldn't find the CC&Rs for pioneer road estates, but I did find this useful comment on Another Forum:
We live in an HOA. The HOA attempted to keep residents, including guests, from parking overnight on the street. However, one of our residents is a city policeman and told the board the streets were not owned nor maintained by the HOA, so only the City Ordinances applied.

My question to you is, are the streets owned & maintained by your HOA or the City. If the City Officer can give you a ticket then it's a City street. Find out what the City Ordinances are about parking on the City Street.
The topic was ticketing over brief RV parking (one HOA had a two hour limit, try packing up for a trip in 2 hours, ha!)

HOA or CC&Rs are both deal-killers for me. I won't even look at the property. I got cured 25 years ago when the first place I seriously considered buying proved to have restrictions put on it by the owner-before-last, which covered such trivial crap as what colour you could paint your mailbox. Mind you this property was at the very end of the road, miles from town, over a mile from all but a single neighbour, and right next to the oil lease, which looks much like oilfields everywhere (hardly a parklike setting) so this was just control freakery.

<later> I lied, here's the aforementioned covenants:

Pioneer Road Estates Master Covenants

9,235 words, or about 10 pages worth. At least one common provision I can tell you has not held up when challenged in court (the "no TV antennas" thing).

Last edited by Reziac; 05-14-2010 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana