U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2010, 01:39 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,550,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Oy! Education + leftist politics.... Ever read The Dumbing Down of America? It's a book by Steve Allen. We are less educated than our parents, less 'prosperous', and apparently much more >>>stupider, two.<<< Now that's really something to be proud of ~
.....how about: .....much more "stupid, also."

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM

4,874 posts, read 7,630,668 times
I've been in MT since April and at no point have I felt 'unwelcome' by anyone. I've been all through the hi-line, Miles City, Billings etc, and everyone has greeted me with a warm welcome and very curious about where I came from (WV). Suffice to say Montanans are a very friendly lot, a lot like the folks from home.

(But then again I'm pretty much a country redneck )

Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 38,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
I don't really understand the complaints from the "native" Montanans. I would think that an influx of people would be good for the cities and good for the tax base. If you have a government that is strict on illegals and welfare, what is wrong with skilled workers

Montana is the fourth largest state in the country with less than 1 million people.

I can understand the frustrations of penises like Ted Turner who buy a ranch the size of El Salvador or that a bunch of Californians who don't know the true price of real estate.

Even then, most of the people are going to live in the western part of the state. I doubt for the next, at least 50 years that eastern Montana is going to be heavily settled. I don't know what people do out there besides farm, smoke meth, shoot their guns and have lots of sex.
I would have said that with this nonsensical right-wing (semi-) rant you must be a Montanan, except for that first paragraph. Anyone who's been around for awhile, or does a little talking around, knows that the influx of people has not been good for the tax base, precisely because what they are bringing is cash (or credit), not industry and not decent-paying jobs (and, in the direct sense, few low-paying ones). Purchasing ability may garner some more property taxes, but what it mainly does is drive up prices, encourage national chains to come in and make it harder for local businesses, clog the roads, and put pressure on local governments to raise taxes to pay for the needed infrastructure, and more (such as more low paying service jobs). All of which is good, of course, for the "quality of life" - if being "business friendly" is your thing.

Last edited by romath; 07-26-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 38,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romath View Post
A local grades 3-6 private school with some 70 students on the west side of Bozeman just got the city commission to make the street in front a dead end, so to cut down on through traffic and people having to park on neighboring lots to pick up their kids. Neighbors agreed to go along. But now there's step two, the part they hadn't talked about openly: they're lobbying the state to cut the speed limit and put up a traffic light down on the main drag west (65 mph) from Bozeman to Gallatin Gateway (and on west to Norris or south to West Yellowstone). Bit by bit the trip out of here is seeing obstacles accumulate. Blame it on transplanted Californians? How about the greasy pole dynamics of capital?
As a follow up, while my general point is a good one, in this case it was the County Commission, and taking a look at the location, I can see where a light would be needed and the delay would be minimal (the intersection close to Four Corners). The main problem is long-range planning: the county has this much-needed high-speed four-lane corridor between Bozeman and Four Corners. It's the type where maneuvers that require crossing it can be treacherous and the accident figures confirm that. At the same time, as the area expands there will be more and more development that wants safe access to that road and, thus, will be demanding traffic lights and lower speed limits. The eventual result will be getting out of town in that direction will be a trudge. There is a need to rethink entirely the whole traffic and highway access situation, so that a way of doing things can be established in advance.

Someone said issues like this are cause to go to meetings and let the local commissioners know our feelings. While there's certainly an element of truth to that, one would hope that local elected leaders have a modicum of common sense, let alone intelligence, on their own. At the same time, one has to recognize that these folks got elected because they have a strong "business-friendly" bias, and that's hard to thwart (just look at the lack of bicycle lanes or road width through the north side of Bozeman). True to the latter, thinking tends to be short range rather than long range.

Last edited by romath; 07-26-2010 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 AM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
This thread needs to get back on topic instead of nit pick argueing.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 1,951,521 times
Has anyone seen that "Get Lost" campaign in the paper? There's a logo of the state of Montana and then it says in big letters, inside the state logo - Get Lost.
And then in parenthesis and in very small letters underneath it says (in Montana's high plains)

I think that is just shady has HELL. lol
(But laughable, and certainly confirms my feelings over the basic consensus about anyone new coming to their state.)

Old 07-28-2010, 12:00 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,607,717 times
It's from the MT Dept of Tourism!

getlostmt.com

I think the Wagon Adventure ought to have an entry

Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,607,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Our tolerance and acceptance of newcomers has, ironically, been met with othersí intolerance of us when we are such. Itís a double standard; they feel they have a right to migrate to yours state, but we donít have a right to migrate to theirs.
No, the double standard is actually this:

The outsiders (most visibly the Calif-metro type but it can come from anywhere) feel they have a right to move to MT and dictate changes to how Montanans live, but they don't like it if Montanans so much as suggest that they instead adapt to Montanans.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,046,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
No, the double standard is actually this:

The outsiders (most visibly the Calif-metro type but it can come from anywhere) feel they have a right to move to MT and dictate changes to how Montanans live, but they don't like it if Montanans so much as suggest that they instead adapt to Montanans.
Exactly! Also the pushy East coast attitude that we have seen lately... You can definitely tell where a person is from anymore, if one is observant.

It would be nice if we had a sponsorship program similar to Canada's!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 PM

18 posts, read 18,339 times
Interesting you mentioned the "East Coast attitude that we have seen lately" Is this a new trend? We have family in Montana and travel there quite often. During our last few visits it seemed like the majority of the new residents were from the east coast and many of the complaints we heard were about east coasters. Are they the new Californians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana