U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 AM
 
92 posts, read 351,830 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Everyone is making Colstrip out to be a horrible town, when in fact that is only their own impression. I would suggest that before you believe what someone writes about, you take into account who that person is.

Personally I did not grow up here. I am not an old foggey. I am a young person. I also find that there is a lot to do here in Colstrip. So if you enjoy outdoors recreation there is fishing year round, hiking, hunting, biking, a park in almost every neighborhood, paved trails and so much more. If you enjoy volunteering there are the schools that are always needing volunteers, the library, the fire department, the ambulance service, the senior citizens, SHAC, CPRD and many other areas. If you enjoy the bar scene there are a few to choose from and they usually have a live band every month. There are many different churches to choose from (more than bars).

We don't have a stoplight, only two gas stations, a community owned clothing store, 4 or 5 salons, an Ace Hardware, a True Value Hardware, a thrift store, an IGA and a few other hole in the wall businesses.

So the moral to my rant is that just because you don't find it to be attractive don't blame it on the town alone. There is a lot more to life than the things you find yourself liking. I know everyone on my street and know that if I needed help anyone of them or most of the rest of the community would offer to help. This has been done numerous times for many people living in Colstrip and is one of the best aspects of living here. I would never go back to living in Livingston, Joliet, Laurel, Billings or Hardin over living in Colstrip any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
 
16 posts, read 54,540 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Neighbor View Post
Everyone is making Colstrip out to be a horrible town, when in fact that is only their own impression. I would suggest that before you believe what someone writes about, you take into account who that person is.

Personally I did not grow up here. I am not an old foggey. I am a young person. I also find that there is a lot to do here in Colstrip. So if you enjoy outdoors recreation there is fishing year round, hiking, hunting, biking, a park in almost every neighborhood, paved trails and so much more. If you enjoy volunteering there are the schools that are always needing volunteers, the library, the fire department, the ambulance service, the senior citizens, SHAC, CPRD and many other areas. If you enjoy the bar scene there are a few to choose from and they usually have a live band every month. There are many different churches to choose from (more than bars).

We don't have a stoplight, only two gas stations, a community owned clothing store, 4 or 5 salons, an Ace Hardware, a True Value Hardware, a thrift store, an IGA and a few other hole in the wall businesses.

So the moral to my rant is that just because you don't find it to be attractive don't blame it on the town alone. There is a lot more to life than the things you find yourself liking. I know everyone on my street and know that if I needed help anyone of them or most of the rest of the community would offer to help. This has been done numerous times for many people living in Colstrip and is one of the best aspects of living here. I would never go back to living in Livingston, Joliet, Laurel, Billings or Hardin over living in Colstrip any day.
You say EVERYONE is making Colstrip out to be a horrible place, well doesn't that tell you something? I don't think anyone is blaming the town as a whole.
You state "hole in the wall" businesses, what if we didn't have those hole in the wall businesses? What then? As far as needing help, haven't heard of one time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
 
92 posts, read 351,830 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch11 View Post
You say EVERYONE is making Colstrip out to be a horrible place, well doesn't that tell you something? I don't think anyone is blaming the town as a whole.
You state "hole in the wall" businesses, what if we didn't have those hole in the wall businesses? What then? As far as needing help, haven't heard of one time.
Everyone, meaning the negative posters on here. I am not dissing the hole in the wall businesses, I love them and support them when I can. How about when Mayo's house burned up when they were gone and they had a furnished apartment to come to thanks to the citizens of Colstrip, How about when Todd Pierce was going through medical trouble, a fund raiser was held to help them out with their bills, how about Dr. Jeanne Ortiz and a couple other breast cancer patients who have had fund raiser's held for them, how about Dave Rosman who was just diagnosed with cancer and some of his union brothers have helped repair his vehicle and another person is watching his house for him, or when Culver's burned down how everyone in the community helped with a fund raiser. I can go on and on naming people who have been helped by the kindness of their neighbor's and friend's in Colstrip. I have seen this happen more frequently here than in any other town I ever lived in. I think that you need to get out of your house and see where you can help others and they might start to be more friendly towards you. Please don't degrade our town the way you did. It is not fair to those of us who try hard to make it the great place that it is. If you really don't like it here, please leave, your negative attitude and others does not help anyone, especially you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 PM
 
16 posts, read 54,540 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Neighbor View Post
Everyone, meaning the negative posters on here. I am not dissing the hole in the wall businesses, I love them and support them when I can. How about when Mayo's house burned up when they were gone and they had a furnished apartment to come to thanks to the citizens of Colstrip, How about when Todd Pierce was going through medical trouble, a fund raiser was held to help them out with their bills, how about Dr. Jeanne Ortiz and a couple other breast cancer patients who have had fund raiser's held for them, how about Dave Rosman who was just diagnosed with cancer and some of his union brothers have helped repair his vehicle and another person is watching his house for him, or when Culver's burned down how everyone in the community helped with a fund raiser. I can go on and on naming people who have been helped by the kindness of their neighbor's and friend's in Colstrip. I have seen this happen more frequently here than in any other town I ever lived in. I think that you need to get out of your house and see where you can help others and they might start to be more friendly towards you. Please don't degrade our town the way you did. It is not fair to those of us who try hard to make it the great place that it is. If you really don't like it here, please leave, your negative attitude and others does not help anyone, especially you.
What negative attitude are you talking about? You need to get a grip and quit trying to act as if this is the only town that helps people. I do get out of the house, I do get involved, I have helped numerous people. You don't know me so please don't judge me. I think you are the kind of people that they are posting about. Nice attitude, real nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM
 
92 posts, read 351,830 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch11 View Post
It is depressing. There is nothing to do. I think if they actually were nice to the newcomers, someone might invest money in the town and they could have things to do. I would never go back there. The people are rude, they have their nose in everyones business, and they think they are better than anyone else.
And you are so positive in yours. Make sure your plate is clean before you talk to me about mine. I have no problem saying hi to everyone that I see. I know most everyone in town on a first name basis and am involved in a lot of volunteer work. I don't think that anyone that knows who I am would call me negative, rude or arrogant. I believe that they would say things like she is a giving person who fights hard for what she believes in. I see that you don't have any real response regarding what help has been given to citizens of Colstrip that needed help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
 
92 posts, read 351,830 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopscotch11 View Post
As far as needing help, haven't heard of one time.
You were the one who said that she hasn't heard of one time where people helped other's here, so I gave you many instances of it. I was not making a big deal of it, just pointing out that it does happen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,358,044 times
Reputation: 2147483647
I'll close it down if it doesn't get back on track.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
 
16 posts, read 54,540 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Neighbor View Post
And you are so positive in yours. Make sure your plate is clean before you talk to me about mine. I have no problem saying hi to everyone that I see. I know most everyone Pin town on a first name basis and am involved in a lot of volunteer work. I don't think that anyone that knows who I am would call me negative, rude or arrogant. I believe that they would say things like she is a giving person who fights hard for what she believes in. I see that you don't have any real response regarding what help has been given to citizens of Colstrip that needed help.
Wow, I hope you aren't a member of a church as you would be falsely representing chrisianity. My plate is not spotless, but clean. I did not call you rude or arrogant, those are your words. I also say hello to all. Why do you find it that you have to toot your own horn? If you were such a saint, wouldn
t we have heard about you by now? I also am involved in volunteer work, that does not make one a saint. You need to self reflect and please stop trying to cause problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM
 
16 posts, read 54,540 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'll close it down if it doesn't get back on track.
I'm sorry, what does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
 
16 posts, read 54,540 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Neighbor View Post
You were the one who said that she hasn't heard of one time where people helped other's here, so I gave you many instances of it. I was not making a big deal of it, just pointing out that it does happen here.
I said that "I" haven't heard of any, that doesn't mean that there wasn't any help. We all have opinions and I am not going to argue with you "NEIGHBOR"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top