U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

I agree with you guys that think Colstrip is divided into clics...there are groups of people that make things hard on newcomers and locals alike. I lived there through high school and my father still does. The people that are good outweigh the ones who are bad though.

The major problem of this town lies in its ticket to existance...the power plants, the mines, and all their related infrastructure. I'm no activist, but it's hard to deny the effects on the local area's land, air, and water. Look at it on google earth, some areas are mysteriously blurry; weird when you think about the aerial photos the mine and plant has.
Check out sunday feb 3rd billings gazette...front page. There is a plume of very toxic chemicals coming from the settling ponds. The surge pond is leaking 115 gals per minute into the water table, rinsing out heavy metals and bicarbonates into the water table. I bet if you asked Toppy Lee about polution, he would know a little too. What about Jimmy Rodger's nice little spread on armells creek? Would you let your children play in armells creek? I would advise only catch and release in the surge pond.
If you've ever seen the movie "Erin Brockovich", the result is going to be along the same lines, but in a very large scale. The town was built along this creek, and the plant was built on top of some major underground fingers of the creek. Just from slurry spills and chemical spills alone in and around the plant has gotten into the creek, and i suppose in 30 years it's probably made it all the way to the yellowstone. Armells creek empties into the yellowstone only about 1/4 mile upstream of the intake of the pumps that feed castle rock lake...hmmm

Butte and Colstrip have the state's highest rate of cancer...a lot of damn good folks have given their lives and their livelyhoods in this community. My wife's family are Ridge Runners from Walkerville, moved to Colstrip when the Berkley Pit closed. Her dad and my dad were hired the same summer...1983. A lot's happened since then, all because of that great paying job; MPC to PPL-anyone remember that? If ya had the balls to turn down the buyout, you might have kept your job in the layoffs. Before the buyouts and layoffs, there were about 600 men and women working that plant. I think the number is slowly rising from 300 now? People with 10-15 years of company retirement lost everything...a good, true example: from 260,000 to 5,200. A lot of people have gone crazy or gotten into hard drug use after that.

My wife lived there her first 18 years or so, and has seen a lot of parents die of cancer. Arsenic is a major cause of lung cancer, which is present in the coal dust that permeates the air of the entire valley. Athsma and Bronchitis are common as well.

There are a lot of good folks in Colstrip, I like to think my Dad is one of them too. Any of you know Dave Rosman? If you're a local, you do. If you know Bob Redinger, you might have heard about him being thrown from his horse in the Bob Marshall Wilderness...My dad and Ken Markee helped him get like 14 miles back to camp, then 21 miles back to the truck to get to the hospital in Great Falls. He's also been an active member of the IBEW 1635, Now those Brothers stick together...My hat's off to Pat Nees and Ron Chase especially, for their support to our family. Thanks Mike Verlanic and Chad Formanek for putting his car back together. Thanks also to Brett Bowen for the great elk hunting trip to the Belts this fall before we found out. I also thank EVERYONE who came out to Dad's benefit at Whiskey Gulch, brings tears to my eyes. It made my dad feel really good.

Today, my Dad's in St Vincent's hospital in Billings, Fighting for his life with a body full of cancer...The support of this community and union is phenomenal!

I wouldn't raise kids in that environment, too many unknown and unspoken environmental dangers.

Take it or Leave it
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,566,171 times
I'm sure sorry to hear about your dad. My prayers are with him, you, and all of your family.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
I too am sorry to hear about the illness in your family... All too often in this state the people who should be watching out for us seem to have looked the other way when it comes to large corporations making money. If you look all over the state you'll see pollution from mines to mills to the Aluminum plants that have gone unchecked and unfettered for years. I guess it's figured that very few people live in this state so no one will notice or much care.
It's a sad sight and hopefully one that will change sometime soon. There's no need to have unfettered dumping of toxic waste and wholesale tearups of the land for business's to be profitable, recycling works in other states as well as hazmat disposal so why not here???

Old 02-05-2008, 09:48 PM

92 posts, read 351,842 times
mt_elk_hntr, My family's prayers are with your Dad more than ever. He is a great guy and we have total respect for him. Thank you for taking the time to post what you did and I will let a few of the guys you mentioned know that you appreciate what they have done for your dad.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 PM

mt_elk_hntr,

We are truly sorry for your family's loss. Your Father was a very good and thoughtful person and will truly be missed. May you take comfort in knowing that he is not suffering any more and that you will be able to remember him for the man that he was. Our prayers and sympathies will be sent you and your family's way.

A Neighbor

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,773 times
WOW!! All I did was try to find out the show times of the movie this week at the Roxy Theater in Forsyth! I stumbled onto this message board and all the foul thoughts and feelings about Colstrip! (Hats off to you who defended Colstrip! I probably know you!)
We moved from Billings to Colstrip almost 34 years ago and yes, at that time we were newcomers and just starting our family. There wasn't much here that first year, but no one made me feel unwelcomed. The town grew and so did I. The first year was hard, due to no IGA, no PARKS N REC, no friends, no family, only me and a small child and a new baby, in a 8' x 40' trailer all day, while my husband was at work. Then it was off for us every weekend, back to Billings!
Well, I can tell you all 3 of my children grew up here, with a wonderful education, all with college degrees and occupations! That is what Colstrip did for us as a young couple getting married at 16 & 18 years old and moving here at 19 & 21 years old! If we would have stayed in Billings, we would not have had the lifestyle Colstrip provided, and we would have stayed at a lower income, therefore a lower lifestyle. We were raised up a notch into a middle income bracket, therefore able to provide a stable home for our children.
Our children have been many, many places around the world and have never lived back here in Colstrip, once they graduated, but yes, they do come visit and think of Colstrip as their home. If we had not moved here and got away from from Billings, chances are we would not have made our marriage work, due to the influences in Billings.
I have no hard feelings about Billings, but I wouldn't move back there for anything. I love going there a couple times a month or maybe just once a month to see family, shop and of course go to the movies. I am glad we raised our children here and not Billings, as both me & my husband felt like we were just one of a crowd of many in Billings schools. The individual attention the kids here at Colstrip School are given is a Blessing!
How I came to love Colstrip, I got involved at church, at the Community Center, in softball, community volleyball, taking our kids swimming at the formerly called Surge Pond, now Castle Rock Lake. Now as I am not 19 anymore, I work, I go to the Red Hat Ladies, I am involved still at church, Community Center and I wished I had time to be bored!
I've seen many people come & go. Everytime I have a best friend, they move on me! I have seen this town go up to over 8,000 people during construction and down to what I believe is maybe 2,500 now. Businesses left and due to the cost of the land no one else wanted to commit to putting one back there. No one wanted to buy the movie theater at the price Pospisles (sp?) wanted for the building. Which I might add that they were on the verge of donating it to Colstrip and CPRD (community center) when Richard Burnett bought it. CPRD would have ran it as a movie theater, right along with their other programs. Taco Johns pulled out due to a decision that the high school was to stay a closed campus at that time. No one wants to put a business back into the building formerly, Snack Shack, then Pizza Hut, and finally Pizza Hut/Taco Bell, due to the high rent that Town Pump owners are charging! Bob's Place, yes was sold to Miles City buyers, and they closed it down due to wanting to use it for a tax write off! How sad, yes! Burton's just wanted to be done with running the bowling alley. Culvers had already shut down before it was burned down. (By the way, that building used to be the grocery store, gas station, post office combined when I moved here.) CPRD was a field!
My house has not settled and I live in the older section of town. I don't have lung cancer, but I don't smoke or hang out at bars around smoke either! I say hi to everyone I know, but I don't go knocking on doors asking if someone is new, or jump out at people I don't know. I feel it takes two to make a relationship and how about you newcomers take a step forward and get involved in a church, school, CPRD, fire dept. or something! Take the time to ask someone out for lunch? I'd love to go! Heck, I'll even buy!
I'll ask you to go to the Roxy movie theater in Forsyth and we can eat Chinese at the Hong Kong, but you have to say hi to me, too, and let me know you are lonely and need some friends! We all need friends and after living here for almost 34 years, I still don't do clicks, and I still don't have a best buddy I go do things with. I go to lunch off & on with a few, when they ask, or when I ask them. Not always the same person! But I tell you, that you have to make an attempt to try to get out there and expose yourself to those of us that would gladly like to get to know you!
As for those that have gladly moved away from Colstrip, I hope that you have found your place in this world and sorry we never got to know you! I love this clean small town USA and I'll probably die here!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 20,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
WOW!! All I did was try to find out the show times of the movie this week at the Roxy Theater in Forsyth! I stumbled onto this message board and all the foul thoughts and feelings about Colstrip! (Hats off to you who defended Colstrip! I probably know you!)
We moved from Billings to Colstrip almost 34 years ago and yes, at that time we were newcomers and just starting our family. There wasn't much here that first year, but no one made me feel unwelcomed. The town grew and so did I. The first year was hard, due to no IGA, no PARKS N REC, no friends, no family, only me and a small child and a new baby, in a 8' x 40' trailer all day, while my husband was at work. Then it was off for us every weekend, back to Billings!
Well, I can tell you all 3 of my children grew up here, with a wonderful education, all with college degrees and occupations! That is what Colstrip did for us as a young couple getting married at 16 & 18 years old and moving here at 19 & 21 years old! If we would have stayed in Billings, we would not have had the lifestyle Colstrip provided, and we would have stayed at a lower income, therefore a lower lifestyle. We were raised up a notch into a middle income bracket, therefore able to provide a stable home for our children.
Our children have been many, many places around the world and have never lived back here in Colstrip, once they graduated, but yes, they do come visit and think of Colstrip as their home. If we had not moved here and got away from from Billings, chances are we would not have made our marriage work, due to the influences in Billings.
I have no hard feelings about Billings, but I wouldn't move back there for anything. I love going there a couple times a month or maybe just once a month to see family, shop and of course go to the movies. I am glad we raised our children here and not Billings, as both me & my husband felt like we were just one of a crowd of many in Billings schools. The individual attention the kids here at Colstrip School are given is a Blessing!
How I came to love Colstrip, I got involved at church, at the Community Center, in softball, community volleyball, taking our kids swimming at the formerly called Surge Pond, now Castle Rock Lake. Now as I am not 19 anymore, I work, I go to the Red Hat Ladies, I am involved still at church, Community Center and I wished I had time to be bored!
I've seen many people come & go. Everytime I have a best friend, they move on me! I have seen this town go up to over 8,000 people during construction and down to what I believe is maybe 2,500 now. Businesses left and due to the cost of the land no one else wanted to commit to putting one back there. No one wanted to buy the movie theater at the price Pospisles (sp?) wanted for the building. Which I might add that they were on the verge of donating it to Colstrip and CPRD (community center) when Richard Burnett bought it. CPRD would have ran it as a movie theater, right along with their other programs. Taco Johns pulled out due to a decision that the high school was to stay a closed campus at that time. No one wants to put a business back into the building formerly, Snack Shack, then Pizza Hut, and finally Pizza Hut/Taco Bell, due to the high rent that Town Pump owners are charging! Bob's Place, yes was sold to Miles City buyers, and they closed it down due to wanting to use it for a tax write off! How sad, yes! Burton's just wanted to be done with running the bowling alley. Culvers had already shut down before it was burned down. (By the way, that building used to be the grocery store, gas station, post office combined when I moved here.) CPRD was a field!
My house has not settled and I live in the older section of town. I don't have lung cancer, but I don't smoke or hang out at bars around smoke either! I say hi to everyone I know, but I don't go knocking on doors asking if someone is new, or jump out at people I don't know. I feel it takes two to make a relationship and how about you newcomers take a step forward and get involved in a church, school, CPRD, fire dept. or something! Take the time to ask someone out for lunch? I'd love to go! Heck, I'll even buy!
I'll ask you to go to the Roxy movie theater in Forsyth and we can eat Chinese at the Hong Kong, but you have to say hi to me, too, and let me know you are lonely and need some friends! We all need friends and after living here for almost 34 years, I still don't do clicks, and I still don't have a best buddy I go do things with. I go to lunch off & on with a few, when they ask, or when I ask them. Not always the same person! But I tell you, that you have to make an attempt to try to get out there and expose yourself to those of us that would gladly like to get to know you!
As for those that have gladly moved away from Colstrip, I hope that you have found your place in this world and sorry we never got to know you! I love this clean small town USA and I'll probably die here!
Wow!!!Sounds like you're the one with the negative outlook! I don't think its a matter of who says "HI" first. It is instilled in a person to be nice. My mother taught me to treat others the way I would like to be treated.
Some people with lung cancer DON"T SMOKE or hang out in bars...how dare you. I am glad I have not met someone like u.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
You say you have lived her for over 34 years and this is where you tried to find out something about the Roxy theatre??? This sounds a little out of the ordinary, please be honest when posting.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightlights View Post
You say you have lived her for over 34 years and this is where you tried to find out something about the Roxy theatre??? This sounds a little out of the ordinary, please be honest when posting.
Just to let you know the person that you replied to so harshly was probably doing just what they said they were doing. This is because of a line that I had wrote further down the page about the Roxy Theatre.

"The Roxy theater in Forsyth is a really nice one with the costs being less than half of any theater in Billings."

Please don't be so rude to people that you do not know, or think that they are a liar just because they defend the community that they have grown to love and appreciate.

FYI, when you google Roxy Theatre Forsyth this page comes up #4.

Last edited by A Neighbor; 04-07-2008 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: To add another line

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM

I think you need to reread! I was not being harsh to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana