Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM

155 posts, read 711,929 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know that it seems bad, but I think Montana in general has a certain pride about the state. I know I do. I don't necessarily think that is a mad thing, without that sense of pride Montana wouldn't be Montana. I can understand that it isn't as easy as I made it to be. But I think you understand what I am saying.

I think that with Colstrip it may seem different, but you have to understand their situation. This is simply how I see it.

This town has seen thousands of people come and go, tear up the town and then just leave. It is a town built on a boom. So when it comes to new-comers they might not seem so friendly, because they may put you in the category of a " here for two months and leave kinda person". Even though you seem like you have no intention of doing that. I think they will open up to you just may take some time, as it does in most places. If this is not the case then maybe you had an encounter with a "wrong crowd" so to speak. Or shoot they may even live next door to you. I don't think that the whole town is that way though. I too being single you man, find it hard to find things to do here, but I am just getting settled. I mostly drive home and help my father on our ranch on the weekends, but I have been working out at the fitness center, golfed, and simply drove around town. Everytime I either meet someone new, b.s. with someone, or at least get a wave from a stranger. Anyway enough of my babble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 16,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
Yeah I know that it seems bad, but I think Montana in general has a certain pride about the state. I know I do. I don't necessarily think that is a mad thing, without that sense of pride Montana wouldn't be Montana. I can understand that it isn't as easy as I made it to be. But I think you understand what I am saying.

I think that with Colstrip it may seem different, but you have to understand their situation. This is simply how I see it.

This town has seen thousands of people come and go, tear up the town and then just leave. It is a town built on a boom. So when it comes to new-comers they might not seem so friendly, because they may put you in the category of a " here for two months and leave kinda person". Even though you seem like you have no intention of doing that. I think they will open up to you just may take some time, as it does in most places. If this is not the case then maybe you had an encounter with a "wrong crowd" so to speak. Or shoot they may even live next door to you. I don't think that the whole town is that way though. I too being single you man, find it hard to find things to do here, but I am just getting settled. I mostly drive home and help my father on our ranch on the weekends, but I have been working out at the fitness center, golfed, and simply drove around town. Everytime I either meet someone new, b.s. with someone, or at least get a wave from a stranger. Anyway enough of my babble.
That does seem to be the case. Maybe I did have an encounter with the wrong crowd. I will give it the benefit of doubt. Anyway.....I was walking around the other night and for the first time actually thought that this town was not that bad, maybe it was the way the sun hit the water that evening, maybe the weather, I don't know exactly but it was a nice feeling.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,197,974 times
Well, I know that in my case it was not that I wasn't hanging around with the right crowd. I associated with people who should know better than to not treat people with dignity and respect! They were teachers and administrators! I probably would have had better luck finding people who were nicer if I did hang out in the bars! I'm not a drinker or a bar person so I would never do that....I'm just being a smart aleck about it. People didn't actually treat me in a "mean" way, but they just never put forth any effort to include me in anything or to really get to know me outside of work. I tried my best to get to know people, but it was a very, very lonely year for me. I did enjoy the older ladies I met at the water aerobics class...they were dolls, but as far as anyone my age, no one made any effort. Again, just my observation.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:25 PM

122 posts, read 517,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Well, I know that in my case it was not that I wasn't hanging around with the right crowd. I associated with people who should know better than to not treat people with dignity and respect! They were teachers and administrators! I probably would have had better luck finding people who were nicer if I did hang out in the bars! I'm not a drinker or a bar person so I would never do that....I'm just being a smart aleck about it. People didn't actually treat me in a "mean" way, but they just never put forth any effort to include me in anything or to really get to know me outside of work. I tried my best to get to know people, but it was a very, very lonely year for me. I did enjoy the older ladies I met at the water aerobics class...they were dolls, but as far as anyone my age, no one made any effort. Again, just my observation.
That is the way it is here in my area. No one makes the effort. It is frustrating. Maybe that is "just the way it is" nowadays? Sure hope not!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,866,205 times
It's like that here as well. I think it has to do with a couple of things. First due to technology you don't have to leave your house to find intertainment galore and are discouraged from interacting with others by that technology. It used to be that people would be outside most of the day or walk in the evenings and see people on their porches and stop by to chat. Nowdays everyone's in front of a TV,Computer,Video game etc and not sitting on the porch swing sipping (insert beverage of choice) and because of that we're losing our social skills.

Also people are so wrapped up in their own world now between working multiple jobs,kids issues, personal issues and then taking care of the house that they either don't have the time or energy and find it much easier to just flop down in front of the device of choice and vegitate instead of investing energy in talking to others.
The other thing I've noticed is people are more wary of others than they've ever been and tend to think in negative terms instead of meeting new people and seeing if they're decent and nice before passing judgement.
Just look at some of the posts on CD, you'll see people who say that if someone looks at them or thier kids sideways automatically they're perverts or out to kidnap them or kill the kids instead of someone who may just be looking that way and wondering where they're from or who they are.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's like that here as well. I think it has to do with a couple of things. First due to technology you don't have to leave your house to find intertainment galore and are discouraged from interacting with others by that technology. It used to be that people would be outside most of the day or walk in the evenings and see people on their porches and stop by to chat. Nowdays everyone's in front of a TV,Computer,Video game etc and not sitting on the porch swing sipping (insert beverage of choice) and because of that we're losing our social skills.

Also people are so wrapped up in their own world now between working multiple jobs,kids issues, personal issues and then taking care of the house that they either don't have the time or energy and find it much easier to just flop down in front of the device of choice and vegitate instead of investing energy in talking to others.
The other thing I've noticed is people are more wary of others than they've ever been and tend to think in negative terms instead of meeting new people and seeing if they're decent and nice before passing judgement.
Just look at some of the posts on CD, you'll see people who say that if someone looks at them or thier kids sideways automatically they're perverts or out to kidnap them or kill the kids instead of someone who may just be looking that way and wondering where they're from or who they are.
I agree with you.........I have now learned (the hard way) there are people worth getting to know and people to stay away from. The gossip is mostly made up, it must be boredom! Anyway, I have tried and will continue to be nice to the ones that are nice to me, ignore the ones that I have painfully learned are not worth the tears, and just enjoy life whether its here or somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,629 times
Well I am not sure what to write on this but my husband, myself and our young child are moving to Colstrip at the beginning of next month, and we are so excited to go. We have lived 40 miles north of Houston, Texas and are really looking forward to living in a small town. We actually know the people that bought the Coal Bowl and are looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully raising our child there. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Colstrip. My husband nor myself have never been to Montana let alone lived anywhere but in southeast Texas. We are looking forward to experiancing new adventures such as sking and sledding. Seeing as how we have never seen snow.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,866,205 times
Welcome Texas, if adventure is what you want then you'll definately get what you wished for! Enjoy the short summer and start prepping for the winter fun!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:58 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,081,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2MT View Post
Well I am not sure what to write on this but my husband, myself and our young child are moving to Colstrip at the beginning of next month, and we are so excited to go. We have lived 40 miles north of Houston, Texas and are really looking forward to living in a small town. We actually know the people that bought the Coal Bowl and are looking forward to meeting new people and hopefully raising our child there. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Colstrip. My husband nor myself have never been to Montana let alone lived anywhere but in southeast Texas. We are looking forward to experiancing new adventures such as sking and sledding. Seeing as how we have never seen snow.

I haven't been to SE Texas, but I did wander through the little towns north of Amarillo back in 1982, and I think the atmosphere and attitudes there were probably closer to small-town Montana than anywhere else I stopped on that trip (had gone from Bozeman to San Diego, then came home via the scenic route, going east all the way to Texas then north along the east slope of the Rockies. Ah, the days when we could afford the gas to explore our own country!)

Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas2MT View Post

Welcome to Colestrip. Can you tell us who bought the Coal Bowl? How they learned it was for sale in Houston? Ric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana