U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 PM

7 posts, read 12,093 times

Advertisements

I have spent the last 2 years planning to move as soon as my kids are old enough, and I have paid off this house. Only 9 more years till its done! Been busy raising a 4th generation of Kansan, where all of us have been born within 15 miles of the first Etienne here in the state. Before it was really a state I should say.

I have grown up, and never really been out of this area (and I am the only one of my family to have never left). Although Havre is quite a bit bigger than the town I grew up in (Wamego, Kansas Population of about 2,500 when I was born).

I have never liked living in town, and Kansas is getting crowded for me. I live in Manhattan, Ks 52,000. I love small towns, with populations from 28, (Herkermer, Ks) to about 4,000. I love the look of Havre.

I haven't seen much on the boards here about anyones opinion of there, of from anyone from there, is there a reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,064,078 times
I grew up in Havre. Loved it there. Moved out in 1990 to go to college. Have been back, and it doesn't seem it has changed much.

I can certainly answer your general questions.

Perhaps you could start by explaining what you like about "the look" of Havre.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,571,681 times
Manhattan, Montana, is also a small town. The wind blows a lot in Havre (I lived there for a couple of years when I was a child).
If you move to Manhattan, Montana, you would not have to change your address very much! Ha!

A beef ad was filmed in Manhattan, MT.
Fun to watch.... you tube video.

YouTube - History of TV Ads - Beef ad from 1989

Old 06-08-2010, 04:28 PM

That was a REALLY good restaurant, too.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM

17 posts, read 40,047 times
Which restaurant? The Oasis?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Yes, I believe that was the name. Its been 15 years since I ate there. Memory is foggy.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM

7 posts, read 12,093 times
I have studied the sat photos, and most pictures of the area and county, It looks like a nice town to live near. I know it has a Wal-mart Super center, important place for me. Its just bigger than my home town of Wamego, ks (4,200) and allot less than the town I live in now (Manhattan, ks pop. 52,000).

So is it a quiet town, I know that most people are looking for the hustle and bustle of large cities, but I am more happy not having many people around. Kinda becoming a hermit the older I get. To the point that I very seldom leave the house.

I love the beauty of the Havre official page, it reminds me of my home town when I was growing up, the older building of the main street. The panoramic view of the area, looks allot like Northeastern Kansas. I am planning on driving up there the next time I have to go see my sister, its only a short detour from where she lives! (Rosebud, SD) should only take a few days longer to visit!

I have never lived in a town without a river, and here I live within a few miles of Tuttle Creek Damn, but the land here is way too high to buy. (1/4 acre land here is around $ 35,000.00) And I cannot hunt, within an hour of where I live. Havre being a county seat, is the largest town in the county, but with lots of little towns around it.

How is the power up there, Hopefully better than South Dakota, my sister looses computers quite often from the power up there (along with PSU's, surge protectors, and TV's)? As long as I can have my computer and my old truck what more do I need Right!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,571,681 times
I recommend you check out Manhattan, Montana, in the Gallatin Valley. It is near the headwaters of the Missouri river, with three rivers coming together.

I know Havre, having lived there, and I know Manhattan from living near it for 40 years. If you need a WalMart, there is one near Manhattan in Bozeman.

One thing I think about with retirement is having a good hospital and health services nearby. Personally, I would not move to Havre for that reason. The best health care in the state is in Billings.

Other good small towns to consider would be Big Timber, Columbus, Reed Point, Miles City, which are near the Yellowstone river along the interstate highway that goes to Billings. Red Lodge is a picturesque small town near Billings, close to Yellowstone Park.

Have a safe trip!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

I'll try to provide some answers. Keep in mind I lived in Havre quite a while ago. I'm sure some things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLEMATE View Post
I have studied the sat photos, and most pictures of the area and county, It looks like a nice town to live near. I know it has a Wal-mart Super center, important place for me. Its just bigger than my home town of Wamego, ks (4,200) and allot less than the town I live in now (Manhattan, ks pop. 52,000).
I lived about 5 miles outside of town, by the airport. I attended the Havre Public Schools (Which were VERY good). I thought it was a nice town. The thing to remember about the town is that it is the major shopping area for at least one hundred miles (and in some cases many hundreds of miles) in every direction. This means it has more than other towns of similar size might have. Yes, it has a Wal Mart. It also has a Kmart. It also has sporting goods stores, clothing stores, and multiple grocery stores. You can usually find what you need in town.

Quote:
So is it a quiet town, I know that most people are looking for the hustle and bustle of large cities, but I am more happy not having many people around. Kinda becoming a hermit the older I get. To the point that I very seldom leave the house.
Depends on your definition of quiet. Certainly no city hustle. Has some nice city parks, and a GREAT county park nearby. Easy to get away from people. Conversely, when I was there Havre had a drug problem at the HS. Not super bad, but present. I also remember seeing a fair share of drunks on Friday nights. Yes it can be peaceful and fairly idyllic. But it is not perfect.

Quote:
I love the beauty of the Havre official page, it reminds me of my home town when I was growing up, the older building of the main street. The panoramic view of the area, looks allot like Northeastern Kansas. I am planning on driving up there the next time I have to go see my sister, its only a short detour from where she lives! (Rosebud, SD) should only take a few days longer to visit!
I can certainly see the comparison with Kansas. Havre is in the Great Plains, and you can see for many miles on a clear day. But, unlike Kansas, Havre is only about 30 minutes from a decent mountain range-the Bear Paws.

Here is the history of how Havre was named:
http://www.havremt.com/community/com_main/commun01.jpg
I made the original version of this sign as an Eagle Scout project in 1990.

And have you checked out the Chamber of Commerce site:
http://www.havremt.com/

Quote:
I have never lived in a town without a river, and here I live within a few miles of Tuttle Creek Damn, but the land here is way too high to buy. (1/4 acre land here is around $ 35,000.00) And I cannot hunt, within an hour of where I live. Havre being a county seat, is the largest town in the county, but with lots of little towns around it.
Havre has the Milk river running right through the middle of town. It is also near the Missouri river. Lots of hunting in the area. Havre is not only the largest town in the county, it is the largest town on what is known as "The High Line" for many hundreds of miles. The High Line is an area stretching along Hwy 2/ the northern rail corridor going thru MT, Idaho, Washington and No. Dakota. Great Falls, the only other remotely large town near Havre is still 110 miles away.

Quote:
How is the power up there, Hopefully better than South Dakota, my sister looses computers quite often from the power up there (along with PSU's, surge protectors, and TV's)? As long as I can have my computer and my old truck what more do I need Right!
I don't recall issues with frequent black outs.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:04 AM

All the towns you list are decent. Each has a different flavor. Ultimately, I suppose it depends on personal taste.

Havre is considerably bigger than all of them. Being the largest town in the state, Billings does have the best healthcare. But the Havre hospital is no slouch! I wouldn't move to Havre for their medical care. Nor would it cause me to shy away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
I recommend you check out Manhattan, Montana, in the Gallatin Valley. It is near the headwaters of the Missouri river, with three rivers coming together.

I know Havre, having lived there, and I know Manhattan from living near it for 40 years. If you need a WalMart, there is one near Manhattan in Bozeman.

One thing I think about with retirement is having a good hospital and health services nearby. Personally, I would not move to Havre for that reason. The best health care in the state is in Billings.

Other good small towns to consider would be Big Timber, Columbus, Reed Point, Miles City, which are near the Yellowstone river along the interstate highway that goes to Billings. Red Lodge is a picturesque small town near Billings, close to Yellowstone Park.

Have a safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana