Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times

Advertisements

So any news on your house house? Are you still targeting Salinas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

92 posts, read 189,796 times
I've lived in Salinas proper for 6 years in a supposed "higher end" neighborhood (having moved here from Southern CA) and living here as been the worst decision we ever made. I would not live in south Salinas proper either. The crime is really bad, cost of living is NOT less than other places in CA and the schools are crowded and underfunded. If you want to live in Salinas, look along Highway 68 or on the peninsula (Pacific grove, Monterey, Carmel).

OP, I have no clue if you were here over the weekend, but you should visit the mall, Walmart, Target, and the grocery stores a Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening before you make your decision.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

43 posts, read 196,527 times
We have not purchased a home here, but are looking for somewhere to rent on either the South side or off 68. I did visit the mall last weekend, OMG it was crazy. My son did start school and so far the school is great and teacher as well. But they are supposedly one of the best schools up there.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Can anyone tell me about the areas off Hwy 68, with regards to safety and getting off and on the hwy there? I read that the schools there have very high test scores. I am wondering how close this area is to stores, shopping, etc towards other cities and not Salinas. Anyone know if it's possible to rent a place under $2000 a month for at least a 2 bedroom.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM

92 posts, read 189,796 times
Nothing along 68 will be very near stores. Las Palmas and Spreckles will end up shopping in South Salinas. The Nob Hill store there has been robbed more than once. Those in Toro Park, Corral de Tierra, San Benancio, etc could probably go either way--Monterey Safeway or South Salinas. You might be able to find a two bedroom for $2000 but I would be shocked to see a 3 bed for that price in the nicer areas. There are a few duplex/townhomes in Toro Park and I think off Jocelyn Canyon. There may be some in Del Ray Oaks as well but that's getting further away.

Good luck. I can't wait to get out of here.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Yes, we looked at several homes along 68 before moving closer to Monterey. And sometimes good deals can be found in the hills of Corral de Tierra, San Benancio and Laureles Grade. Of course there are some very exclusive, expensive homes up there as well. But if you watch and wait deals do come along. And the same is true with Monterey and other nicer areas . We first moved into a 3 BR house in a Pacific Grove for $2100. It was right down the street from PG high with excellent schools from k on up. And we almost signed a lease in Marina when this house popped up in PG. So we snatched it up.

Botton line is good things can come to those who watch and wait. But there is definately competition for the best deals obviously. And you need to have good credit and references. Owners can be picky as they want solid tennants.

You should plan to shop in Monterey, Del Rey Oaks or Seaside. The Del Rey Oaks Safeway is really nice. We shop there and like it as well as Costco in Seaside and Trader Joes in Monterey.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-30-2010 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiagreengal View Post
Can anyone tell me about the areas off Hwy 68, with regards to safety and getting off and on the hwy there? I read that the schools there have very high test scores. I am wondering how close this area is to stores, shopping, etc towards other cities and not Salinas. Anyone know if it's possible to rent a place under $2000 a month for at least a 2 bedroom.

I moved away, up here on my mountain, lustrums ago, but my brother still lives happily on Echo Valley Road, Prunedale. He's been there 20 years. Before that he lived in Gilroy close to Christmas Hill park? & Gabilan College. He drove to Marina & Fort Ord daily to teach school.

Best of Luck to you.

Last edited by Hawk J; 08-30-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I moved away, up here on my mountain, lustrums ago, but my brother still lives happily on Echo Valley Road, Prunedale. He's been there 20 years. Before that he lived in Gilroy close to Christmas Hill park? & Gabilan College. He drove to Marina & Fort Ord daily to teach school.

Best of Luck to you.
Some complain about the dangers of getting onto Hwy 101 while living in Prunedale. But there are some side roads which seem to enter 101 & 156 a bit better than others. Besides that it seems like a pretty decent place to live just out of the larger cities.

Derek

Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM

So update is we found a nice rental in Las Palmas, 3bd 2ba for $2150, it is 2000 Square feet. Got Lucky and Very happy with our decision.

Can anyone tell me how Spreckles Elementary school is in Spreckels and how the bus would be for a kindergartener???

How far away (minutes) would it be to shop in other shopping areas/ cities besides Salinas?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Sounds like you made a good choice! We have friends in Las Palmas, Spreckles and Indian Springs. Many still shop at Nob Hill in South Salinas. But you'll want to go to Trader Joes in Monterey and possibly Safeway in Del Rey Oaks. A lot of folks shop at Costco in Seaside. There is also one in North East Salinas.

It would be good to plan to head toward Monterey/Seaside for shopping at least every couple of weeks. From Las Palmas to Safeway in Del Rey Oaks is 13 miles and ~ 20 minutes down 68 depending on the time of day/traffic. You could go there for other things like visiting the wharf, beach, aquarium, My Museum, movies, biking, hiking, mall, dinner, etc... then pick up some groceries on the way back. The thing is the best place to hang out on the weekends is around Monterey and Carmel anyway. So it shouldn't be too hard to add in some shopping as needed. You probably won't be hanging out in Salinas as much in your free time. Although they do have a mall there.

I've heard Spreckles Elementary is pretty good. Another really good achool close to you is Toro Park Elementary which has a great reputation. You can probably get into to both. I'm not sure of the details of the busing from Las Palmas. But they do having busing options.

Derek

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-08-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County