U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2010, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
Default Monterey

I'm looking at a job in Monterey and am unfamiliar with the area, other than a quick visit to the aquarium a few years ago. Can anyone recommend the best place (town) to secure an apt in the area, i.e. Monterey or a nearby community? How is the rush hour traffic around that area if I decide to commute? What is the best resource for finding apartments? Thanks a bunch, in advance, for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,417,457 times
California apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

Live close to work. There is a rush hour on Hwy 1 and at other times, including weekends. The above link gives you a lot of reviews on apartments out there. Also check on craigslist. Pacific Grove and Carmel are nice places nearby to live.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:19 PM

3,575 posts, read 6,383,684 times
Craigslist is best. It's hard to answer your question as it seems kinda vague. Finding the right place really depends on a number of factors:

* Your budget
* Size of place needed
* How close to the beach you want to be
* Where you will be commuting to/from
* Children/Schools important

Generally speaking traffic is not bad at all. But It all depends on to/from destinations and the distance between them.

I would focus on finding work first. That will help you know more of where the best to live will be.

Derek

Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,935 times
Thanks, all! I will take these things into consideration when looking at housing. Really appreciate your time and advice!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,524,952 times
I had a job in Monterey (Ryan Ranch area) for a number of years. Initially I took an apartment in Salinas just because there were several newer complexes that had modern amenities that the older ones in Monterey didn't (I have to have a dishwasher!). I eventually found a suitable one in Monterey (new construction near Cannery Row), but that took a couple years. It is much better getting a place on the Peninsula if you work there. The higher cost of rent is usually offset by less wear and tear on your car. Hwy 68 at rush hour can be an absolute mess. Plus Monterey is a heck of a lot more fun, pleasant and safe.

My last apartment there I secured through a property management company. I know they can be problematic, but Creative Properties on Del Monte Ave did well by me. A lot of the apartments in Monterey and Pacific Grove are in smaller buildings so most contract such companies to rent them out.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

12,025 posts, read 7,819,917 times
Several lustrums ago i had an apt up David avenue in New Monterey, & after that i had one at 666 Casanova street, Monterey. Both were good areas back then.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:47 AM

6,513 posts, read 13,380,868 times
Over next to the fair grounds was a lot of reasonable rents.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,335,234 times
I noticed this thread, and having a close friend who lives two blocks from Cannery Row, I was wondering if perhaps you have a government job -- maybe the Presidio or DLI (Defense Language Institute), or another such organization? If so, you may find rentals on the bulletin boards in those places -- my friend's son rents out a cottage behind their house (which is a bit farther up the hill than Cannery Row) and also rents out rooms to students from the Monterey Language Institute. When I first moved to this area, I found my first place on a bulletin board (not Craig's List). I'm just tossing that out as an option.

One thing my friend has noticed is that they have put up some new bars on Cannery Row and it gets really loud and rowdy late at night with drunken people..... so you may want to consider that, too. It's a pretty small area, so it seems you wouldn't have much trouble with traffic, especially once you learn the side/back roads.

Good luck to you and enjoy the area!

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,002,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I noticed this thread, and having a close friend who lives two blocks from Cannery Row, I was wondering if perhaps you have a government job -- maybe the Presidio or DLI (Defense Language Institute), or another such organization? If so, you may find rentals on the bulletin boards in those places -- my friend's son rents out a cottage behind their house (which is a bit farther up the hill than Cannery Row) and also rents out rooms to students from the Monterey Language Institute. When I first moved to this area, I found my first place on a bulletin board (not Craig's List). I'm just tossing that out as an option.

One thing my friend has noticed is that they have put up some new bars on Cannery Row and it gets really loud and rowdy late at night with drunken people..... so you may want to consider that, too. It's a pretty small area, so it seems you wouldn't have much trouble with traffic, especially once you learn the side/back roads.

Good luck to you and enjoy the area!
For some reason, the Blue Fin bar is the rave. I often see my childhood friends on Facebook posting photos of the establishment on their page.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:58 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,524,952 times
I lived in the "Wave St Apartments" (on Wave St., oddly enough ) and it was just one street over from Cannery Row at Hoffman. It was right in the thick of tourist central, but the only time I heard a lot of noise was from weekends when there were old car shows or motorcycle races at Laguna Seca. Then it was a noisy, smelly mess (exhaust fumes). Other than that, it was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County