Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times

Advertisements

Go to Robinson Jeffer's home in Carmel, get a taste of pre built up Carmel Tor House Home

Go to Point Lobos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:19 AM

15 posts, read 48,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scresident View Post
I live in Santa Cruz, unsure from your post but it seems you think Hearst Castle is an easy distance from Carmel. It's not, the road between Carmel and Hearst is a treacherous road (highway 1). Most of us go inland to 101 and cut over at 46, a bit longer as the crow flies, but faster going, equally beautiful and a lot easier.

Hearst Castle is great and not to be missed, unless you have a problem walking, most tours requiring a moderate amount of walking and stairs
I've never been in the area, so I really have no idea of the distance except on the Hearst Castle website it says it's 90 miles from Carmel. Thanks for the advice on the alternate route.

We do have some people who have a problem walking so that is why we want to have some other ideas for what people can do while the rest of the group visits Hearst Castle. We are staying in Carmel but the couple of things we will do for sure is visit Big Sur, the Aquarium, and Hearst Castle.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
Don't forget the 17-mile drive! It not so expensive if all of you are sharing the cost in one vehicle. I thought it was well worth it. If I could afford to live anywhere, this is where I would be.

17-Mile Drive - Carmel, California - Yahoo! Travel

I also recommend Nepenthe for a late lunch or early dinner in Big Sur. Don't forget to look for California Condors flying above! They're recognizable by the orange/red bald heads and huge wing span.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
If you have any golf fans, Pebble Beach is right there, probably worth a visit.
You can cut inland a bit and do a winery tour. Otherwise, most of the activities around there are of the 'rugged outdoor' variety/

Old 03-15-2011, 07:06 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
If there is a race when your there, some might want to go to Laguna Seca.

At times there are events or festivals at the Monterey Fairgrounds.

Have a Wonderful Adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County