U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM

39 posts, read 67,708 times

Advertisements

We had such a wonderful week in Pacific Grove! Thanks CD forum for taking the time to answer questions and share your local knowledge. Your advice is spot on and much appreciated!

Rented a house close to the shore with an ocean view. Most mornings were very cool and foggy, but it usually cleared up by lunch time. If we ever lived in PG or Monterey, (would love to, someday!) I think Iíd want to be inland where itís sunnier. But being near the coast was perfect for a vacation. I still miss hearing the surf and the seagulls calling!

We enjoy a good meal but definitely arenít Ďfoodiesí. We liked First Awakenings, Red House Cafe, Brunoís Deli/Market, Archieís Diner, Joe Rombiís, Passionfish, Monterey Fish House (best fish all week).

Didnít do some of the things weíd planned- Hearst Castle, Big Sur, day trip to SF. Ended up hanging out in PG and totally relaxing: leisurely breakfasts at First Awakenings, the recreational trail, PG golf course, Aquarium, walking around town, Lovers Point, watching surfers at Asilomar. One afternoon part of Lighthouse Ave was closed for a classic car show- enjoyed those great cars and chatting with the owners. Walking home from dinner, I was delighted to see the trees in the center of the street covered with strings of white lights. So pretty!

Loved the fairytale cottages in Carmel with their amazing wavy roofs and lush gardens. Picked up lunch at Brunoís Deli for 17-Mile Drive. Stopped at Pescadero Point but ended up eating sandwiches in the car (sign says ĎNo Picnickingí). Oh well! Got to see the famous Lone Cypress tree. Husband is a golfer so Pebble Beach was a must see- true golf nirvana. We missed the bagpiper who plays each night at sunset- thatís on the list for next time, along with Big Sur.

Our absolute favorite place was Point Lobos! Went on a sunny Sat afternoon so it was pretty crowded. The sign said Ďparking lot fullí but we drove in anyway and found a space. We did two trails- Cypress Grove and Sea Lion. It was very windy and pretty cold in places, so I was glad to have a jacket. Words canít describe the beauty of this place- absolutely breathtaking! Will definitely go back.

Our last night in PG, we parked across from Pt. Pinos lighthouse to watch the sunset from the beach. Afterwards, driving back around the coast, light from the full moon glimmered in the water. Magical!

Point Lobos:

Seagulls, fog at the coast:

Pacific Grove coast, Lovers Point in distance:

Beach, Lovers Point:

Car show Lighthouse Ave, Pacific Grove:

Lighthouse Ave trees, Pacific Grove:

Beach, Cannery Row:

Pacific Grove sunset:
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM

12,827 posts, read 9,113,410 times
Beautiful pics Susie. I'm mighty happy y'all had an Awesome time.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:37 PM

276 posts, read 362,307 times
Awesome pictures Susie. I love the area. I'm looking forward to moving there (minus the fog)

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM

64 posts, read 133,744 times
Great pictures. What a nice review!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
Awesome pictures Susie. I love the area. I'm looking forward to moving there (minus the fog)
SmoothBBQ, you gotta get over it!
Maybe you'll learn to love the fog.
I do.
It can be quite magical and yes, oppressive for some but you can adapt.
And your wife will appreciate how good it is for her skin ... keeps it moist and healthy.

Great pictures Susie.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:31 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,032,522 times
You snapped a couple of popular dive spots - Lover's Cove (the big kelp bed you can see there) and of course the old fave for classes / certification dives, the Cannery Row micro beaches / the Breakwater.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,258,617 times
Glad you had a great time! I bet you felt safe the entire time!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM

39 posts, read 67,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Glad you had a great time! I bet you felt safe the entire time!
Tim, I realize now what a silly question that was! (safe neighborhood in PG?) The only time I didnít feel totally safe was when I got close to one of those fat squirrels at Lovers Point for a picture. Some of his cohorts emerged from the rocks and started to surround me, looking for a handout I guess. Since I didnít have any squirrel snacks, I made a quick exit!

BayAreaHillbilly, we saw divers in various spots almost every day. Seems like it would be a great workout just maneuvering through all of the kelp!

Glad you all liked the pics. If some of them look out of focus in the distance, I had a new camera was still figuring out the settings. Fortunately itís so small I kept it on my wrist most of the time. Easier than constantly getting it out / putting it back. So many great photo ops!

Black sand beach, Point Lobos:

Point Lobos:

Point Lobos:

Intercontinental, Cannery Row:

Kelp Forest, Aquarium:

Metallic green bee:

Lovers Point:

Lovers Point:

Pacific Grove mural:

Pacific Grove sunrise:

Old 02-09-2013, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
Hi, I am new to these type of forums. Truthfully, the picture of Lover's Point with the Bath House in the background brought wonderful memories to my husband and me. We now live in Arizona and remember all the wonderful visits we took regularly to Pacific Grove when we lived in California. My husband remembers fishing off the pier when he was a child in the 1950's and 60's. We would love to be able to have a poster of this beautiful picture to hang over our bed, is that a possibility. What do we need to do to get a copy of this picture and or a poster size of it - beautiful photography. Is not Pacific Grove just the most wonderful place to live? Glorine

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM

3,717 posts, read 7,084,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorine Johnson View Post
Hi, I am new to these type of forums. Truthfully, the picture of Lover's Point with the Bath House in the background brought wonderful memories to my husband and me. We now live in Arizona and remember all the wonderful visits we took regularly to Pacific Grove when we lived in California. My husband remembers fishing off the pier when he was a child in the 1950's and 60's. We would love to be able to have a poster of this beautiful picture to hang over our bed, is that a possibility. What do we need to do to get a copy of this picture and or a poster size of it - beautiful photography. Is not Pacific Grove just the most wonderful place to live? Glorine
Hi Glorine,

Susie25 took these wonderful photos. What you need to do is contact her and ask her if she would be willing to sell you a print for a 'modest price.' She may offer to just give a copy of the original or make a print for her cost + shipping. But as a photographer myself I would not necessary want to just 'give away' my work. However I don't charge that much for a print either as its a hobby not a career. Its always better to offer something for someone's efforts. Note that you cannot print from these web sized images. You really need the original file to make a nice print.

The way you contact her is left click on her name. Then send a direct message to her about the photo. I noticed in her profile she hasn't posted in CD in about a year. But you may be able to get a hold of via the direct message. Most people love to share their work if they can be reached.

Otherwise if you don't hear back from her I could go out and take a similar picture for you since I live in the area. I think you are talking about the Lover's Point image right?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County